Pollard: big announcement coming soon

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This is all really fascinating but I wonder:

1. How do Ames-area businesses react to having a new major competitor with the university's backing?

2. The tailgating scene here is a really big part of what makes the football experience special, particularly given that the football history isn't great. I really want to see the plan for where all that parking goes and what the new game day set up looks like.

Finally, I'm not a basketball season ticket holder but I usually hit a couple games each year. And that walk to/from the far parking lots down by Jack Trice is usually brutal. So once all those parking lots are gone, have fun with that, basketball season ticket holders.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

1. How do Ames-area businesses react to having a new major competitor with the university's backing?

2. The tailgating scene here is a really big part of what makes the football experience special, particularly given that the football history isn't great. I really want to see the plan for where all that parking goes and what the new game day set up looks like.
1.) Hopefully that the days of the tail wagging the dog are over.
2.) I’m confident the AD will sort that out

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I personally don't think it means anything. I think it is a way to cash in on the drinking fans like to do before, during, and after the game. I think Pollard understands the number of people who stay out and drink during games and those who go to bars.

There are liability reasons why ISU is willing to police the people who bring their own booze as opposed to being the ones that sell it. Just a nightmare in waiting from the AD's standpoint.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Finally, I'm not a basketball season ticket holder but I usually hit a couple games each year. And that walk to/from the far parking lots down by Jack Trice is usually brutal. So once all those parking lots are gone, have fun with that, basketball season ticket holders.

I am with you. Pollard is going to be under pressure to monetize every square foot of that area just to keep up with the Joneses and the risk for it is the very thing that makes ISU special: accessibility for everyone. Being able to get up close to JTS is fairly unique and a contributor to making ISU a fanbase that is envied by other schools as their attendance declines.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is it possible the hotel on campus partners with Iowa State's Hotel/Hospitality Management major/program like the Kirkwood Hotel?

I would sure hope so. I don’t know, but assume it would be worth the effort.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This definitely isn't the main takeaway from this thread, but an ice skating rink with some restaurants/bars around it sounds ******* awesome

• Agree
Reactions: BBHMagic

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Regardless of what transpires, the future looks pretty amazing. We are all fortunate to be around during this Cyclone Renaissance. Being unimaginative and lazy like former athletic directors Lou McCulllough and Max Urick gave us coaches like Jim Criner and Jim Walden. And they in turn gave us the twenty years known as the Dark Ages. Even Dan McCarney, Cheezdic and Paul Rhodes couldn't turn things around until Campbell got here. Thank God for Jamie Pollard!
Lou McCollough? The same guy who was the driver to building the new stadium? The same lazy AD who hired Earle Bruce and Johnny Orr? That Lou McCollough?

• Agree
Reactions: StClone and aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lou McCollough? The same guy who was the driver to building the new stadium? The same lazy AD who hired Earle Bruce and Johnny Orr? That Lou McCollough?

Johnny was pure luck. Earle said he went into Lou to see if he could bump his pay to make up some of the 10k difference that OSU offerred. Lou didn’t think anybody would turn down OSU no matter what so he never tried to keep him.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Johnny was pure luck. Earle said he went into Lou to see if he could bump his pay to make up some of the 10k difference that OSU offerred. Lou didn’t think anybody would turn down OSU no matter what so he never tried to keep him.
Not arguing any of that. Is JP also lazy for losing Kindler, refusing to allow Sanderson donor access that Dresser now has and for losing Fred? Same game, no?

People leave, AD's get lucky and unlucky. Lou did get the stadium done- none of this thread exists w/o Lou getting us moved from Clyde Williams

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not arguing any of that. Is JP also lazy for losing Kindler, refusing to allow Sanderson donor access that Dresser now has and for losing Fred? Same game, no?

People leave, AD's get lucky and unlucky. Lou did get the stadium done- none of this thread exists w/o Lou getting us moved from Clyde Williams
Did you just mention two non-revenue sports? No one cares. JP wasn’t lazy, he was wise in those cases.
He got Fred, so it’s a wash on that one.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Did you just mention two non-revenue sports? No one cares. JP wasn’t lazy, he was wise in those cases.
He got Fred, so it’s a wash on that one.
Moving targets to protect JP. Dumb (I am a JP fan BTW).
As for olympic sports- yeah I hate not winning NCAA Championships.

Anyway- carry on with the thread on this exciting news while disparaging the guy who built the stadium that we are building all of this around.

Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Moving targets to protect JP. Dumb (I am a JP fan BTW).
As for olympic sports- yeah I hate not winning NCAA Championships.

Anyway- carry on with the thread on this exciting news while disparaging the guy who built the stadium that we are building all of this around.

Congrats on being about the only person who defends Lou.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
Go ahead and consider the logistics of making it bigger.

If you want to do that you probably also need to: knock the existing one down, build new supports for a new press box where existing concessions\restrooms are, so now you have to rebuild those. Not to mention that project would probably include some kind of concourse widening (or at that point maybe we put the designers to work as to how to add an upper concourse and enclose the concourses)

It all gets expensive really quick, when we aren't selling out our current suite space. Other stadiums have larger press boxes, but they don't have the space between the decks that we do.

They really should've built the practice facility right below the press box with support structures for a future press box on top. That was a huge missed opportunity to build a 2 for 1 building.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There are liability reasons why ISU is willing to police the people who bring their own booze as opposed to being the ones that sell it. Just a nightmare in waiting from the AD's standpoint.
They already sell alcohol in the stadium.

Besides, I dont buy this liability boogie monster that gets brought up. If it's such a risk why do they do it at most sports venues now, including many college stadiums?

Help Support Us

Become a patron