Parking for Saturday

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
To a certain extent, sure. Would you be surprised that there was already water standing in the grass areas yesterday afternoon at the corner of S 4th and University? That is probably the worst draining area but I think people under estimate how poorly the entire area around the stadium drains.

I just took alook at the web soil survey. The soils in G7 are a Zook and Coland which are poorly drained. The public/student lot is classified as a Spillville which is somewhat poorly drained. So I agree with you on the drainage issues.

I do think there is quite a bit of storage available though due to the lack of moisture until this week. I also took a peek at the Squaw Creek depth gauge and it is still low, so the water table is at a point that there should be plenty of storage available.

I was pretty confident yesterday that there shouldn't be an issue. I still think it will be fine unless Ames gets multiple heavy hits in the next 36 hours.

A cool note that the imagery that the web soil survey used was during a game.
upload_2019-9-11_11-1-51.png

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Last year in IC they had all the grass lots closed and they hadn't had any rain for 3 day prior. It was kinda nice our tailgate was about 50' from 4 kybos in the lot. There was an opening that we could get through to use them. No clue why they kept the lots closed as their was no standing water and no mud. This was the grass lot just south of the parking ramp.

Because the grass in Iowa City SUCKS

GO CLONES

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
To a certain extent, sure. Would you be surprised that there was already water standing in the grass areas yesterday afternoon at the corner of S 4th and University? That is probably the worst draining area but I think people under estimate how poorly the entire area around the stadium drains.

Need to pattern tile all the grass lots 6" tile 30 ft centers that'll dry it out.;)

arod79

Sep 9, 2019
Just drove by the lots 5 minutes ago . As long as the rain does get too crazy we should be fine . The worst lot looked to be G8 to be honest . The haunted forest looked pretty swap-like in a couple of areas as well . I will drive by again tonight and tomorrow and try to keep people posted like my opinion has any real influence on the outcome . ha Go Cyclones

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Would you be surprised that there was already water standing in the grass areas yesterday afternoon at the corner of S 4th and University?

The SW corner of the intersection, next to 85E and S8? It's basically a retention area, so it was doing what it was designed to do.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Sunny and Windy in Ames right now so that should help some. Hopefully that keeps up until the next round of projected rain comes tomorrow.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just drove by the lots 5 minutes ago . As long as the rain does get too crazy we should be fine . The worst lot looked to be G8 to be honest . The haunted forest looked pretty swap-like in a couple of areas as well . I will drive by again tonight and tomorrow and try to keep people posted like my opinion has any real influence on the outcome . ha Go Cyclones
The Haunted Forest can't handle moisture at all since there is almost no ground cover. I can remember when that lot used to actually have grass in it but the owners gave up in like 2010 after that whole area flooded real bad.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
ISU just needs to invest in this stuff for all our grass lots:
91bSh5N34OL._SL1500_.jpg

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
SIAP, but I didn't see any mention of when folks plan to arrive in the RV Donor lots (which officially open Friday at 8am). Security folks parking us for the UNI game said a few arrived/stayed to line up Thursday night in the parking lot next to RV donor lots and the tow trucks and ISU security looked the other way.

The security folks also said they weren't sure they'd let RV'ers stay Thursday night for the Iowa game.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
SIAP, but I didn't see any mention of when folks plan to arrive in the RV Donor lots (which officially open Friday at 8am). Security folks parking us for the UNI game said a few arrived/stayed to line up Thursday night in the parking lot next to RV donor lots and the tow trucks and ISU security looked the other way.

The security folks also said they weren't sure they'd let RV'ers stay Thursday night for the Iowa game.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I am planning on rolling in at roughly 4 PM and fully expect to have limited options. Maybe those people who arrived early are superstitious about parking in the same spot. I would like get in earlier but we cant leave until 2 due to work and have a 90 minute drive to ames. Then we will stop and get chick fil a before heading to the lots.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Need to pattern tile all the grass lots 6" tile 30 ft centers that'll dry it out.;)

With the construction on the intramural fields it looks like they might tile them into the new retention area to the southwest

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
We are planning to be in Ames late morning (2 hr drive for us), unhook our toad and park the RV east of town then come to the stadium when the ESPN bus arrives.

After that we'll scope out options. We are willing to take a chance we won't be able to park there Thursday night. Not 100% sure what plan B is, but since Game Day is not a regular occurrence, we are willing to roll the dice.

Last edited:

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I park north of the power plant. It's a 20 minute walk, but easy to get in and out of.
This is what we do. Easy in and out, especially for those who live on the north side of Ames.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
ISU just needs to invest in this stuff for all our grass lots:
91bSh5N34OL._SL1500_.jpg
Just a wild guess but bringing in some dirt and building up the low spots in the grass lots probably would cost less than doing this. If you get the grade and tiling right you can take on some heavy rains that will drain well.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
KCCI's forecast from earlier tonight called for about 0.95" more rain in Ames by 1 a.m. Friday.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron