Jay Jordan -- Light me up

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Have a little time tonight, thought I would open up it up for ripping or questions with a live response. Let me hear from you guys and gals.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BigCyFan

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Hey Jay,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I haven't read or heard much about how our CBs are faring in camp. What's your sense of what we should expect out of the defensive backfield this season. What will you be watching there in the early games?

• Funny
Reactions: ZB4CY

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Who leads the 2019 Cyclones in carries, receptions, tackles, and interceptions? I’ll guess Kene, Milton, Rose, and Datrone Young and probably go 0/4

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Do you think we start seeing improvements in offensive scheme this year, i.e. the times in the past two years where underneath routes and dump offs were an option but not checked to vs. an aggressive front?

Who turns more heads nationally this year, Eisworth or Rose?

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
All joking aside, I think the UNI game is much more important than the Iowa game. That has not always been the case, but I think the script has flipped.

In the past, a win versus Iowa was huge for perception and team chemistry in the Big 12. The last two years have proven that it isn't the case. Instead, Coach has used the came to propel changes that resulted in better than expected Big 12 performances. Make no mistake, he wants to win that game, but I think the key is a solidified pounding of UNI heading in to a preparatory bye week.

Outside of
How realistic is it to expect the young OL guys like Downing and Ramos to make a big impact this season?
I think with a guy like Downing that it is realistic to expect him to be a significant player this year based on his preparation at the prep level. He is strong and has made an impact.

Ramos is a year behind but has an excellent grasp of the power position and will be ready to fill in if needed. He looks like he needs another year to me, but his footwork and base technique is solid. That is the key.

I had a long off-the-record conversation with Knipfel this summer. The things he was working on and that we discussed were exactly right and based on level 1 power position technique and footwork. By all reports he has improved in those areas and will be worth watching this year. With that type of leadership for the younger guys, it is reasonable to expect an impact at a rotational level.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Do you think we start seeing improvements in offensive scheme this year, i.e. the times in the past two years where underneath routes and dump offs were an option but not checked to vs. an aggressive front?

Who turns more heads nationally this year, Eisworth or Rose?

Yes, the offensive scheme will progress this year. You will see some of that in my upcoming article where we saw some of that progression against WSU.

I think there will still be a screen game element, but I believe they will move to a true outside running game more than the replacement scheme on the dead horizontal passes. The largest influence in that is the inside presence of the tight ends and their blocking mismatches on the outside.

MLB's are sexier than safeties, but make no mistake, Eisworth is a game changer and one of the best football players to ever don the cardinal and gold.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Y
I but I believe they will move to a true outside running game more than the replacement scheme on the dead horizontal passes. The largest influence in that is the inside presence of the tight ends and their blocking mismatches on the outside.

This is music to my ears.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Hey Jay,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I haven't read or heard much about how our CBs are faring in camp. What's your sense of what we should expect out of the defensive backfield this season. What will you be watching there in the early games?

Anthony Johnson will make you forget your momma. He is long, tall, and physical. The experience he gained last year was an underreported boon to the defense. I believe he has lock down corner potential, but will easily fill Peavy's role. Datrone Young is solid though more prone to guessing on a route than Johnson. He is a hitter.

Run support from the corners is rarely recognized, but Payne and Peavy were excellent. I expect no dropoff from these two.

The question is the depth. In the Big 12, thought less so this year, depth and rotation at corner is important. Jayveon Morton, Tayvon Kyle, and even a couple of the new freshman have impressed. I am hoping that Keonte Jones has done so as well. That depth will be key. CB depth is the only glaring hole on the defense and it can be devastating.

Finally, I think Young and Johnson can play some man, which payne and peavy could not. If they can press, then your blitz packages can get more creative. If that is true then this defense can take another step forward. TCU utilizes man coverage on the outside to aide its pass rush, pressure, and zone coverage inside. ISU is building to what TCU is.

L

LincolnWay187

Do you think Brock Purdy cuts back on the amount of pump fakes....given he's used it so much.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Do you think Brock Purdy cuts back on the amount of pump fakes....given he's used it so much.
Awesome question!!!!!!!

I hope not. It is freaking impossible. Defenders are hard wired to block or react to the pass motion. What he needs to do is place it better. Defensive lineman will ignore it this year, but he didn't use it against them much anyway. It is most useful on the edge against pass defenders and linebackers.

So, what he really needs to do is let a few passes go while escaping to the edge. If they are complete, then the next time it is a pump fake, they will take it no matter what.

Use what works until it doesn't work, then pivot to exploit what they did to stop it.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Does Brock have the potential, with oline support, to be the best QB in the Big12. Does he have the arm strength to accomplish it?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wonder about the double teams Lima gets and if opponents might try and ease off that and maybe do just a few more screen/short yardage throws?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Dare I say...but will we see ISU run some of Iowa's scheme's from last year? given they had 2 stud TE's and used them effectively..

Do you think the TE postion (all 3) could become a focal point of the passing game this year?

I'm anticipating some 4-3 vs Iowa. I don't think our staff will be all that worried about Iowa's WR's..but throwing Jahmal inside with Lima gives me goosebumps.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
How big of an impact does Manning have on the team?
I think Manning is a brilliant football mind. I truly believe the influence from his year in Indy is underrated. He coached the tight ends, two good ones. They targeted tight ends 11 times a game, the most in the NFL. That means he learned and utilized and taught two tight end route trees.

The NFL schemes to match-ups which is what Matt Campbell is all about. It is my personal belief, without any sources or corroborating evidence, that Manning may have had some influence on the bowl game prep.

If so, there are some wrinkles we will see that will be beneficial and innovative.

Also, with the offensive line maturing under Myers, having Manning involved in an oversight capacity is invaluable.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Does Brock have the potential, with oline support, to be the best QB in the Big12. Does he have the arm strength to accomplish it?
No, Sam Ehlinger is just better. But, that does not mean he cannot beat Texas and everyone else in the Big 12. His completion percentage must stay where it is and his yards per attempt was ridiculous. If he does that for a full season, then it will be hard not to put him in the top three in the conference. That is a position I would take and that would propel Iowa State to the top of the conference.

Texas needs Ehlinger to be Heisman level in order to do what I think they can do. Oklahoma needs Hurts to be better than Hurts has ever been to do what they do. Iowa State needs Purdy to be Purdy and that is attainable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron