Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just watched it. Trailer looks dope, and kind of surprised they let out a big reveal with the trailer.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Love it. Through everything in it, I couldn't help but feel it was all one big middle finger to Rian Johnson pretty much. I'm sure some people won't be happy about that, but I don't mind it in the slightest. I'm actually finding my interest in this saga trilogy a bit revitalized.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

This isn't all-inclusive, but some of some things from the trailer that seem a response to Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi:

-The name itself refocuses back to the Skywalker name where TLJ seemed to try extra hard to get away from the old Jedi and Skywalker lineage through Luke's whole arc as well as Rey's parentage reveal

-Many criticized that TLJ moved away too much from using the original cast as well as other old figures whereas this one seems to lean pretty hard into them

-The whole vibe through score, cinematography, and feel all felt like it was harkening more back to the original trilogy with this one than maybe either of the other two

-One big criticism is that Rian Johnson pretty much gave the middle finger first himself to everything JJ set up in The Force Awakens and this trailer almost feels like a retcon back to JJs original more than anything. JJ's latest interviews pretty much confirm this.

-Many criticize, including myself, that there was no overarching plan to the entire trilogy from the get go. It was here JJ, you make your movie, here Rian, you make your movie, and then here Trevaro, you make your movie. Then lets all hope it all feels as one trilogy in the end. There was no collaboration between these directors or anything. There wasn't even a simple end-point figured out to this whole thing. This feels like a Lucasfilm correction to try to course correct back and try to finish out the loop as best they can.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just watched the panel for the Mandalorian. I think this is what I am most excited about coming out of celebration. Not a lot of detail, but it was fun listening to Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni talk Star Wars and tell stories. I had no idea they knew each other so well. Listening to them geek out on Star Wars and seeing how well they clearly work together tells me this is going to be awesome. I honestly think those two should be put in charge of everything Star Wars. They are both talented , creative, and most importantly huge Star Wars fans. Every time I see Kathkeen Kennedy on stage she seems out of place. She doesn't get it.

Reactions: Triggermv

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Here's a link to the footage they blacked out in the live stream of the Mandalorian panel. I dont know why they blacked it out. It looks amazing!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This isn't all-inclusive, but some of some things from the trailer that seem a response to Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi:

-The name itself refocuses back to the Skywalker name where TLJ seemed to try extra hard to get away from the old Jedi and Skywalker lineage through Luke's whole arc as well as Rey's parentage reveal

-Many criticized that TLJ moved away too much from using the original cast as well as other old figures whereas this one seems to lean pretty hard into them

-The whole vibe through score, cinematography, and feel all felt like it was harkening more back to the original trilogy with this one than maybe either of the other two

-One big criticism is that Rian Johnson pretty much gave the middle finger first himself to everything JJ set up in The Force Awakens and this trailer almost feels like a retcon back to JJs original more than anything. JJ's latest interviews pretty much confirm this.

I feel like these are absurd criticisms.

Why should everything in this giant galaxy have to be about the skywalkers and the old cast? They're important to the original trilogy, but they shouldnt be the focus of the new trilogy IMO. The whole point is to transition to a new generation. Trying to force a focus on the skywalkers and the rest of the old cast is basically demanding fan-fiction as movies. I actually felt like this has been a problem with a lot of the star wars universe- trying to force all these interconnections and putting all the focus in a narrow universe makes the star wars galaxy seem really small. I'll actually be very disappointed if they cave and retcon Rey's lineage at this point. She doesnt need to be a Skywalker, that's for damn sure.

The score in the prior movies didnt seem like it was harkening back to the old movies in the other two? No way. Those movies all sounded and felt very star wars, as they should. Hell, many people were ******** that things were too much like the OT after TFA. Complainers need to make up their damn minds.

And maybe if JJ wanted things he supposedly 'set up' to have the finishes he wanted, he should have actually had a plan to finish those things instead of leaving it randomly open-ended for the next guy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I feel like these are absurd criticisms.

Why should everything in this giant galaxy have to be about the skywalkers and the old cast? They're important to the original trilogy, but they shouldnt be the focus of the new trilogy IMO. The whole point is to transition to a new generation. Trying to force a focus on the skywalkers and the rest of the old cast is basically demanding fan-fiction as movies. I actually felt like this has been a problem with a lot of the star wars universe- trying to force all these interconnections and putting all the focus in a narrow universe makes the star wars galaxy seem really small. I'll actually be very disappointed if they cave and retcon Rey's lineage at this point. She doesnt need to be a Skywalker, that's for damn sure.

The score in the prior movies didnt seem like it was harkening back to the old movies in the other two? No way. Those movies all sounded and felt very star wars, as they should. Hell, many people were ******** that things were too much like the OT after TFA. Complainers need to make up their damn minds.

And maybe if JJ wanted things he supposedly 'set up' to have the finishes he wanted, he should have actually had a plan to finish those things instead of leaving it randomly open-ended for the next guy.

There's more than one way to make a bad movie.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Filoni should be the Fiege of the Star Wars universe.

As much as I dog Kathleen Kennedy, its really only how she runs Lucasfilm. Truth be told, I think she is an amazing film producer. In fact, I think she is one of the greatest film producers of all time and her work speaks for itself. However, I think her skills are just that.... as a producer. I just don't think she is necessarily a great creative head, and definitely not the best universe-building creative. I'm not just critical of how she handles the films either, but rather how she handles Lucasfilm as a whole, including all the different parts. I'm not even sure she even really loves Star Wars that much. You are right. She is not Kevin Feige, who by contrast is not only a great producer, but he is also a monstrous fan and a great creative visionary. And yes, if there is a closest to that which we've seen so far at Lucasfilm, Dave Filoni would probably be that guy. Shoot, I'd be okay with Kathleen still as CEO, but then naming Filoni creative head. I think that would at least be better than our current setup.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I feel they should have a team of Pablo Hidalgo and Dave Filoni. Pablo is amazing at what is canon and Filoni is a great story teller.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Every Marvel movie has like 3 producers on it, Fiege is listed as one, then there are a couple of other guys that probably do more of the actual production. What I think Filoni is great at is crafting a coherant story within the boundries of an existing universe, which is what Fiege does so well.

Agree about Kennedy. When you look at her career, it's astounding. She's probably produced more of my personal favorite movies than anyone. But even though I think TFA and TLJ were fine and good additions, they both could have been a lot better. Marvel is consistently putting out better content than the Star Wars universe which is crazy to me.

Edit: last thought, these multi-movie universes really need somebody at the head who is more of a TV guy, because really that's what these are. They are big event episodes of a larger narrative. That's why I think somebody like Filoni would do well where Kennedy has struggled, because her history is all in film where each thing stands on its own. And there is just simply too much happening to not have a somewhat coherent story arc already mapped out and done.

As a producing mindset with all these new Star Wars movies, I do think what Kathleen does best shines through mostly with the look and feel of all the new Star Wars movies. I'll give her credit for that. They truly are all beautiful movies with the perfect blend of practical and CGI effects. In fact, I'll take the cinematic look and effects of the new Star Wars movies over the Marvel movies any day of the week. Its no secret on here my critiques of Marvel in that category (yes, I'm looking directly at you Black Panther). However, like you said, where she falls short is as a long-form creative storyteller. Her track record on clashing with directors doesn't help her in this category either. In fact, of all the movies that have been produced or in production, the ONLY one that didn't have behind the scenes turmoil was TLJ, which ended up being the most polarizing movie of the bunch. Yes, its even well known she even clashed with JJ on The Force Awakens. By comparison, of all 22 movies or whatever that Feige has produced, he has really only clashed majorly with one director, Edgar Wright. In the end, clashing with directors here and there is inevitable, so the best way to truly judge them is by comparing long-term track records, and when doing that, its pretty scathing for Kathleen. Again, I just wish she could go back to doing what she does best, which is individually produce great movies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I know KK is a great producer, but It's hard to describe her long term plan for Star Wars as anything but a complete failure. Look at the franchises she's been involved in, like Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future. It's not like those got better or had any great narrative running through them. They basically used the momentum of the excellent first films to squeeze out additional money makers. Jurassic Park and Back to the Future especially progressively get dumber and dumber with each film. Hopefully TRoS is her swan song and new leadership is put in place. I'm not holding my breath.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-season-1-binge-watch-disney-plus/

For those of you hoping to sign up for Disney+ to binge The Mandalorian when it comes out, don't plan on it. Looks like it will be a slow roll-out strategy for episodes. So, for me, looks like I'll be patient with it. I refuse to watch anything anymore as a slow roll-out. I'd rather just save my dough, wait until they are all out, then binge them. I do that right now for Star Trek Discover on CBS all-access and it works just fine for me.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...rected-by-game-of-thrones-showrunners-a168353

According to a Bob Iger conference call with investors, the 2022 dated next Star Wars movie will in fact be written and directed by Benioff and Weiss. This is news because up until this point, the latest word was that Benioff and Weiss was working on a trilogy and Rian Johnson was also working a separate trilogy. However, there was no confirmation of whether both of those were still happening or not, and if so, whose movie was the 2022 date? While I suspected Benioff and Weiss, this confirms it. Also, there has been lots of conjecture as to whether or not Johnson's trilogy would even happen due to the mixed reactions to TLJ. Rian Johnson keeps saying he is. However, many people probably didn't see it since it was on his podcast, but last week, John Campea said his sources were telling him that Johnson's trilogy is not happening anymore. That isn't to say he isn't helping out Benioff and Weiss to some extent on theirs though. Again, not a confirmation, but John Campea is a reliable journalist and that is what he is hearing from his sources.