Clothes Washer/dryer recommendations

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Looking to replace our front-loading maytag set that sounds like it's going to explode at any minute. My wife prefers front-loader but that's really the only requirement. Go.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We recently replaced our old Samsung with an LG, and have been very happy with it. When the dryer goes (and it won't be long, methinks) we'll get the LG twin to match the washer.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Our 3 yo Samsung dryer has been repaired twice. The last repair guy said Samsungs are crap and LGs seem to be the most reliable in his experience.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
We recently replaced our old Samsung with an LG, and have been very happy with it. When the dryer goes (and it won't be long, methinks) we'll get the LG twin to match the washer.

Our 3 yo Samsung dryer has been repaired twice. The last repair guy said Samsungs are crap and LGs seem to be the most reliable in his experience.

Just wait until 2 years after you purchase it when you have a control board failure and there are not parts.... That happened to me on my LG washer and was SOL. My LG dryer has been solid though.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Old set of Samsung lasted 10 years. Dryer finally died on me but I never touched the washer and they rain almost daily. Just bought a new Samsung set and they are nice.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
We have Whirlpool Duet machines and have been very happy with them. We used to have an LG and we replaced it (it was a washer/dryer combo unit). It was an interesting concept, but the dryer part didn't work very well since it was only 110V. The problem was with LG (i have heard the same thing with Samsung) is that there is almost nobody that works on them if you have a problem. We only found 1 place in Des Moines that would work on LG. Parts for both are also hard to come by. I think Samsung is even harder to find.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We have Whirlpool Duet machines and have been very happy with them. We used to have an LG and we replaced it (it was a washer/dryer combo unit). It was an interesting concept, but the dryer part didn't work very well since it was only 110V. The problem was with LG (i have heard the same thing with Samsung) is that there is almost nobody that works on them if you have a problem. We only found 1 place in Des Moines that would work on LG. Parts for both are also hard to come by. I think Samsung is even harder to find.
Current washer is a Duet (mistakenly said Maytag in OP) and the bearings have went out twice. Can't just buy the bearings, have to get the whole drum. Won't be buying Whirpool again.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
If your ceilings are high enough get stackable machines and free up some space.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Fisher & Paykel. We bought washer and dryer probably 12 years ago and wife says other than me, best choice she ever made!

Reactions: Turn2

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
What brand of stackables would you recommend

I'm no expert by any means. My parents put in a whirlpool duet with the stackable kit when they built their house 10 years ago and have had no issues with them.
I just think it makes sense, why take up twice as much floor real estate when stacking the machines is an option. Sometimes the existing plumbing and dryer vent wont allow for this if it is in existing construction without extra work.

https://www.whirlpool.com/laundry/front-load-washer-set.html

If you go to the bottom of that page and click stacked you'll get an idea of what it looks like.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
No issues with our Maytag set four years in.

When we were looking, I think we were looking at Samsung or LG and the sales lady mentioned that not many local people service them and parts often have to ship from overseas.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have the classic Samsung’s that they’ve been selling for like 10 years. Solid but not fancy (no WiFi or anything like that). Purchased at NFM in Clive.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Also don’t replace the set unless both don’t work. I had to replace my washer 7 years ago. The old dryer is still running strong.