Generation Y and Z Debt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This won't be popular but I think it's wrong for parents to not plan for and pay for their kids' college, if they have the means to of course. I see so many people take 3 vacations per year, drive nice cars, build new houses, etc that don't save money for their kids' college. You have 18 years to save money and prepare for college on their behalf, and they have maybe 3-4 years to do that - why is it their responsibility? Isn't it crazy to expect a kid to put money away for their own college working minimum wage, part-time jobs, while their parents make decent money in a full time career? I just think priorities are way out of whack among parents - I will drive a beater car for the rest of my life if it means I can send my kids to college without debt, but most people don't look at it that way.

$250/month for 18 years at 8% is $120,000 saved for college.

Some parts of this are the ever growing trends of people thinking they need to do EVERYTHING and that's doubled up by those that post their wonderful lives on social media.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I had my first mid-life crisis at 29. Thought it meant I was going to die in my late 50's. Did not die. Yet. Probably should have been more optimistic and called it a third-life crisis.

I think how you define things is important to your mental state. I have personally never had a crisis, because I don't mentally define a bad situation in those terms. I've been in plenty of bad situations, but I tend to minimize the importance of short term situations.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's embarrassing that college has gotten this expensive. Seriously, what's driving the cost? Boomers or legislators should feel bad about that.

That said, I am glad ISU is one of the more affordable options and has controlled costs more than other schools. Glad I worked my ass off to avoid loans.

These numbers are from memory so take them with a grain of salt, but something like 50-60% of ISU's budget in the early 80s came from state appropriations. Now that's down closer to 20% and may have even slipped into the teens. And Iowa's universities remain relatively affordable...the situation in other states is much bleaker.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This won't be popular but I think it's wrong for parents to not plan for and pay for their kids' college, if they have the means to of course. I see so many people take 3 vacations per year, drive nice cars, build new houses, etc that don't save money for their kids' college. You have 18 years to save money and prepare for college on their behalf, and they have maybe 3-4 years to do that - why is it their responsibility? Isn't it crazy to expect a kid to put money away for their own college working minimum wage, part-time jobs, while their parents make decent money in a full time career? I just think priorities are way out of whack among parents - I will drive a beater car for the rest of my life if it means I can send my kids to college without debt, but most people don't look at it that way.

$250/month for 18 years at 8% is $120,000 saved for college.

Parents should prioritize retirement before college and let the chips fall after that, but I agree with the sentiment.

My parents helped me with college and I’m grateful to them for that. I’ll be doing the same for my kids as well

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
It's embarrassing that college has gotten this expensive. Seriously, what's driving the cost? Boomers or legislators should feel bad about that.

That said, I am glad ISU is one of the more affordable options and has controlled costs more than other schools. Glad I worked my ass off to avoid loans.

The unintended consequences of government aid and loans. Colleges will always charge what students can afford. It doesn't matter if it is all borrowed money to the school.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Parents should prioritize retirement before college and let the chips fall after that, but I agree with the sentiment.

My parents helped me with college and I’m grateful to them for that. I’ll be doing the same for my kids as well

Agree. Same here.

A lot of people can't however(or won't for selfish reasons...) In those cases think the kids should think of the other options. We all make our own choices and I detest the "we are victims" mentality which seems so prevalent today.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Get educated in a field that pays and is not easily replaced / downsized /outsourced overseas. Think government, education, various health care, trades, cops, firefighters. Times and technology are changing at a rapid rate.

Education will likely even change some day if a company like Elon Musk's can find a way to do information tranfers / links between brain and external sources. "Here is this year's lesson kids, download xyz zip file and synch while you sleep."

bxV8Wp6psv52FxNF7

giphy.gif

I imagine it will be something like this :D

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Colleges have it figured out. People are willing to pay $15-20k per year for a 4-year degree. The government tried to help pay for part of it, and the colleges realized they could bank the government money and STILL get $15-20k per year from the customer (students).

The two things that increase in price fastest (medical, education) are the two things the government throws a lot of money at. And the vendors are really good at gaming the system to maximize their take.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
These numbers are from memory so take them with a grain of salt, but something like 50-60% of ISU's budget in the early 80s came from state appropriations. Now that's down closer to 20% and may have even slipped into the teens. And Iowa's universities remain relatively affordable...the situation in other states is much bleaker.

This seems to be the cause. Loans are the symptom

L

LincolnWay187

So where did that extra State money go to? It's apparently not to the teachers, or so I hear. The college students are subsidizing something they didn't used to.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I know that's a common argument to defend the increased expense, but I'd be interested to see how much of that now comes from the federal government rather than the states. This may not show the information that I want exactly, but it does show that the federal government is a huge source of funds right now.

https://infogram.com/following-fede...ch-spending-in-higher-ed-1hzj4o570k5p2pw?live

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Everybody should and would say it's embarrassing to rely on parents for money at 27 freaking years old. At that point it should be embarrassing for the parents as well.

The real question is what age would Boomers say it should be embarrassing for kids to still rely on their parents? I'm guessing that would be 21-22 years old at most.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This seems to be the cause. Loans are the symptom

If that were the only issue, then private school tuition should not be going up.

It is. A lot.

I think that is probably one important issue of a multitude of factors.

Mono-causality is usually wrong and always boring.

Reactions: Doc

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If that were the only issue, then private school tuition should not be going up.

It is. A lot.

I think that is probably one important issue of a multitude of factors.

Mono-causality is usually wrong and always boring.

There are a lot of factors and I didn't meant to suggest the current state of affairs is entirely a result of decreased state funding. But no doubt it plays a huge role and just as importantly has driven a lot of behaviors and decisions on the part of universities in that time.

As for private schools, yes their tuition has increased as well. But studying private school tuition is meaningless without paying attention to the discount rate, and for most schools that is way up as well. So it's not quite what it seems for private schools.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Everybody should and would say it's embarrassing to rely on parents for money at 27 freaking years old. At that point it should be embarrassing for the parents as well.

The real question is what age would Boomers say it should be embarrassing for kids to still rely on their parents? I'm guessing that would be 21-22 years old at most.

I'm a millennial but my opinion is relying on parents through college is acceptable, and parents helping kids through college is acceptable, but after graduation you are on your own.