SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
ESPN article attributing some of the Twins success to a more laid back, at your own pace approach.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26941983/how-relaxed-twins-rewriting-hr-hitting-history

Sano and Rosario have some quotes that paint Molitor as rigid in his approach.

Yeah, I read that. Sounds like Baldelli's laid-back approach, combined with the quiet leadership of Cruz, Gonzalez, Schoop, et al. was just the tonic for the younger guys. They've all bought in, and we are seeing the results.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Rocco might deviate from his approach and have some mandatory infield fielding drills today. Those last three innings last night were brutal.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Rocco might deviate from his approach and have some mandatory infield fielding drills today. Those last three innings last night were brutal.
I agree. I've always felt Sano was a defensive liability but JFC

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
And there have been some great ones in that role.....Reardon, Aguilera, Guardado, Nathan.
Which made me think of Ron Davis, and some absolutely agonizing 9th innings. :eek:
Eddie always made me nervous as hell. I was at a game in KC during the back half of his career when Royal fans start the "Ed-die" chant because they new they had a shot to get a run and tie the game.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Trevor May, Tyler Duffey and Mike Morin seem to be settling in pretty well with Taylor Rogers in the bullpen. Harper hasn't been bad either. Hopefully Parker just had a hiccup. Right when they needed them too as the starters have faltered a little.

Who had Odorizzi as the 2nd best pitcher in baseball this year? When he outpitched Verlander in that 1-0 game, that's when I started to believe this team might not be a small sample size fluke.
So I may have spoken a little too early about the bullpen.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So I may have spoken a little too early about the bullpen.
giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I agree. I've always felt Sano was a defensive liability but JFC

Thought Garver's error was the killer. Love his bat, but his D is very average. I'd love to see Rocco put Castro in late innings in big games down the road.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So yesterday's finish is yet another reminder that the Twins need bullpen help. Pineda's outing was very encouraging, though.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So yesterday's finish is yet another reminder that the Twins need bullpen help. Pineda's outing was very encouraging, though.

Agreed. We've been hiding the bullpen with explosive offense. However when we don't hit, our weakness rears its ugly head unless our starters go 6+ innings.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
My goodness, how quickly winning goes into everyone's head. Win 2 of 3 from a team in second place of home runs hit and started the season 13-2. They are streaky, and their biggest problem is fielding which wasn't a huge problem for them this week. We really had 1 of our top 3 pitchers throw (Berrios), and Rodgers has been nursing a sore back. Yes, we will need bullpen help come playoff time, but have some fun for once.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
My goodness, how quickly winning goes into everyone's head. Win 2 of 3 from a team in second place of home runs hit and started the season 13-2. They are streaky, and their biggest problem is fielding which wasn't a huge problem for them this week. We really had 1 of our top 3 pitchers throw (Berrios), and Rodgers has been nursing a sore back. Yes, we will need bullpen help come playoff time, but have some fun for once.

Absolutely. My family is now trying to watch the Twins every game they can...what a change from the previous few seasons.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Lifelong Twins fan-went to my first game in 1966 at the old Met- I've seen them all from Killebrew to Mauer. This is the best offensive team the Twins have ever had and the starters can all hold their own. I am confident they will shore up the bullpen before the trade deadline. One or two more arms and this team could do what hasn't been done since 91.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I have been a Twins fan for 50+ years. Been through good and bad, but my devotion never wavers. I'm just being realistic in my comment about the bullpen.....it will become much more crucial in the postseason.

I also have no doubt Falvey is looking at all his options regarding obtaining more help. They were involved in the bidding for Kimbrel, and that is certainly not the history of the club.

I watch every game (except those midweek matinees, then I have to follow on my computer at work) and am enjoying this immensely. What strikes me right now is that the Twins are positioned to be able to build on this, rather than watching all their talented players leave for more money, as they did in the Calvin Griffith days.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Been a Twins fan a long time as the first Twin I followed was Dean Chance. Nobody, except Twin fans, believe this team is for real. The talking heads in NY say it all when they say- "The Yankees are playing to win it all this year. The Twins are playing to win their the division."
When the Twins get a reliever or two at the trade deadline, they'll show they are in it to win the Series.

One a side note, does anybody else think Jorge Polanco looks like Cesar Tovar?

Reactions: JM4CY and SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Been a Twins fan a long time as the first Twin I followed was Dean Chance. Nobody, except Twin fans, believe this team is for real. The talking heads in NY say it all when they say- "The Yankees are playing to win it all this year. The Twins are playing to win their the division."
When the Twins get a reliever or two at the trade deadline, they'll show they are in it to win the Series.

One a side note, does anybody else think Jorge Polanco looks like Cesar Tovar?

Maybe Rocco will let Jorge play all 9 positions some night, like Tovar did. THAT would be cool.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Not to pick nits, but I think the club eliminated the word "Devil" from the team some time ago.

Don't know if it was just a retro day or what, but Tampa Bay was sporting cool 'Devil Rays' jerseys today in their loss to the Angels.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Last nights win was amazing. I really like the attitude of the guys this year. They definitely have the balls to do something special this season.

Also, I’ve always liked Max but he is really becoming one of my favs.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Last nights win was amazing. I really like the attitude of the guys this year. They definitely have the balls to do something special this season.

Also, I’ve always liked Max but he is really becoming one of my favs.
Max's performance last night has to be one of the most impressive I've seen out of a person who got brought on in a pinch hit scenario. He orchestrated all of our offense from that point on and had a few huge plays in right field to save some runs. Love the players he and Polanco have become, especially after the money we invested in them this off-season.

Reactions: CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
17 innings of great baseball for the Twins. Huge lift for the bullpen's confidence.
Hopefully they have on their hitting shoes tonight and take the series.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If the Twins win tonight, the East Coast media may give the flyover Twins a bit more respect. I always want them to win but I also kind of don't want to lose the "nobody believes in us" mentality.

Reactions: srjclone