Ryan Anderson

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Why I don't believe it too much. If you are at a Christian school and you want to go to college, the RAI has ways to hammer out certain classes to get into iowa universities with a poorer ACT score or a lighter GPA. Like you mentioned, his school year is not completely done and there is still time to take the ACT so the OP is just blowing hot air most likely, and like usual.

It’s sounds like Raimo is also having the same issues getting into ASU . He also posted that Teske was out a penn state a few weeks ago and that’s yet to happen so maybe there’s hope that the Anderson news isn’t true.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The only thing I could find about it was Mineo posted something about it on facebook. FWIW though, I've heard similar things. Anderson still has time to improve his GPA and ACT scores, though.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Thread on the Penn State board talking about Ryan Anderson (and Iowa State in general), but some guy on there is posting Anderson is in- if he can pass a summer class. Looks like we could be holding our breaths on this one.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Thread on the Penn State board talking about Ryan Anderson (and Iowa State in general), but some guy on there is posting Anderson is in- if he can pass a summer class. Looks like we could be holding our breaths on this one.
Sounds like not enough core classes. He probably has known about this for some time and was planning to take it during summer all along. I doubt it is anything to worry about.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I heard today that it is confirmed he did not get in to ISU. He's gonna have to go the JUCO route.

condor

Feb 2, 2018
Disappointing yes, but this seems like an easy problem to patch over. Greyshirt at DMACC while training with the C-RTC. Just wrestling in the open tournaments, he would still get as many matches as the non starters got during the KJ years.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
This is very unfortunate for the cyclones. If he ends up in Ames after spending some time at a juco I’d be very surprised.
I disagree. I trust that the relationships between this young man and our coaching staff are very strong; and that it is likely they will continue and be a strong factor in him finding his way to Ames.

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Could be a blessing in disguise, would Anderson be able to complete the class while he potentially greyshirts, with Parker being a redshirt junior this year Anderson would lose a year of eligibility even if he did redshirt coming in, if Anderson is able to greyshirt and complete the class he wouldn't lose a year of eligibility.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Recruiting has been a big struggle for this staff. Anderson would have been the second best recruit of their tenure, and the best without a legacy at ISU. I can’t even reasonably say what their strategy is. If I had to guess it appears to be taking a ton of off the radar local place winners and turn them into Drew Foster. The problem with that is that Fosters story is cool because it’s rare. You can’t win titles with this strategy. We have to start getting blue chip talent.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Disappointing yes, but this seems like an easy problem to patch over. Greyshirt at DMACC while training with the C-RTC. Just wrestling in the open tournaments, he would still get as many matches as the non starters got during the KJ years.

Probably needs an AA to get in now so that takes a greyshirt out.

not a big loss IMO. Parker would beat this kid anyways.

Losing one of the top recruits in the country is "not a big loss"? Huh?

We will press ahead. It hurts, but onward and upward we go.

condor

Feb 2, 2018
You're probably right. This is from the NCAA website. The not being able to retake core classes to improve your GPA after you begin your 7th semester is the deal breaker.

Division I academic eligibility

To be eligible to compete in NCAA sports during your first year at a Division I school, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:

• Complete 16 core courses:
    • Four years of English
    • Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
    • Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it)
    • One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
    • Two years of social science
    • Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
  • Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before your seventh semester. Once you begin your seventh semester, you may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses to improve your core-course GPA.
  • Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your core courses.
  • Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances your test score and core-course GPA. If you have a low test score, you need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible. If you have a low core-course GPA, you need a higher test score to be eligible.

• Useful
Reactions: cyputz

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Recruiting has been a big struggle for this staff. Anderson would have been the second best recruit of their tenure, and the best without a legacy at ISU. I can’t even reasonably say what their strategy is. If I had to guess it appears to be taking a ton of off the radar local place winners and turn them into Drew Foster. The problem with that is that Fosters story is cool because it’s rare. You can’t win titles with this strategy. We have to start getting blue chip talent.

They just had the 6th ranked class according to Flo, they couldn’t have foreseen Anderson not getting accepted when they accepted his commitment. David Carr is a blue chip. We have a very young team with a lot of money already tied up. We are sitting very good with the #1 overall recruit for 2021. I’m not worried about the staffs recruiting yet

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Their recruiting has been fine up to this point. Needs to keep improving if we want to be a legit contender but hard to expect them to take over a 1 dual win team and immediately bring in several top guys every year. It's a process and I think we're in a pretty good spot at this point in the process.