Property Tax Increase

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Here in West Des Moines, all of the schools are either relatively new or have been heavily remodeled in the past 10-15 years. It makes you wonder what else they have to spend money on. Here's one thing for example. They spent millions on building a new stadium, track and field turf, when they already had a perfectly fine stadium before. I'm referring to the one next to the school, not the big football stadium a few miles away. Just seems like they get used to receiving a lot of money every year and need to find ways to spend it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Going to considered myself lucky with the assessed value only going up 4%. Of course our market sucks and hasn't really changed but I've made enough improvements and I will be looking to sell the house probably pretty soon.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Mine went up about 10%. However, its now pretty much in line for what my house would sell for so I don't have a big problem with it

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Mine went up about 10%. However, its now pretty much in line for what my house would sell for so I don't have a big problem with it

My total assessment went up 20%. That includes a finish of a 900ish sq ft basement. Same for me, brings it in line with what it would sell for. Seeing that land value jump so much was a jolt though.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
My total assessment went up 20%. That includes a finish of a 900ish sq ft basement. Same for me, brings it in line with what it would sell for. Seeing that land value jump so much was a jolt though.
Yeah, its though on your tax bill when you're used to a lower amount.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The author of the first article, Kim Norvell, I see is an Omaha native and Iowa State alum. I don’t see the background for the author of the second, Donnelle Eller, but I’ve seen from past articles that she does a great job covering agriculture and related issues.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Would not be fun at Sun Valley Lake and see a $100,000 rise. That is going to hurt badly.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
From my first link just above:
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ts-property-taxes-appeal-assessor/3374899002/

Residential assessment increases ranged from a high of 22.5% in Harrison County in western Iowa to a low of 0.04% in Black Hawk County and its county seat, Waterloo, according to the Register's survey. ...

Harrison County has seen a strong housing market over the past several years with a new type of buyer moving into the county. Flooding in western Iowa may affect future assessments ...

You can see where Harrison County is on the map at the link — on the Missouri River, directly west of Des Moines and north of Omaha.

I’m curious what “a new type of buyer moving into” Harrison County means.

Harrison County is quite rural, but includes some pretty scenic parts of the Loess Hills. As to the flooded parts, I would guess the wide, flat river bottom land between I-29 and the Missouri River to the west is or was partly flooded, or perhaps moreso soon, and that the rest of the county, generally hilly, is pretty much OK. Wind-blown, the steepest hills are right next to the river bottom to the east, which makes for quite a contrast.

This topography is apparent in Google Maps.

DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge is right by the river, with its massive annual migration of geese, as well as a museum for the steamship Bertrand, which sunk in 1865, its cargo largely intact when dug up a century later.

Harrison County isn’t the closest, but driving down I-29 is an easy commute to Omaha/Council Bluffs from the north — relatively close to downtown Omaha — particularly compared to the western suburbs. Coming down I-29, you can see the tall buildings downtown many miles away across the wide, flat river bottom. Near the end, you round a river bend where the tall buildings (or perhaps, it, the very tallest building), come directly in front of your view just across the river, just a bit more, before you hop a bridge, and are there.

Prior to going that far south, alternatively, you could take I-680 west off I-29 to other parts of Omaha. Or instead go somewhere in Council Bluffs.

I would guess the “new type of buyer” includes people with second homes, and possibly more commuters.

I no longer live near there and would be interested to know what this new development is.

Last edited:

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
This will probably attract some comment. Insightful piece on state tax distribution.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I've run into a County Assessor who is out of control. Refusing to do their job and just sticking it to the rich folk who buy homes near a lake. Not much the home owners can do. There is a state appeal but I have no idea how difficult or successful that process could be.

However, there is a bill that appears to have gone through both the House and the Senate. The Very important part of this bill is requiring a 2/3 vote as that is difficult to get.

https://www.kcci.com/article/bill-limiting-property-tax-hikes-clears-iowa-legislature/27270042

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Going to considered myself lucky with the assessed value only going up 4%. Of course our market sucks and hasn't really changed but I've made enough improvements and I will be looking to sell the house probably pretty soon.

I don't believe you. This thing had to increase at least 10%. That's a mansion in Ottumwa.

shanty.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jdcyclone19

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I've run into a County Assessor who is out of control. Refusing to do their job and just sticking it to the rich folk who buy homes near a lake. Not much the home owners can do. There is a state appeal but I have no idea how difficult or successful that process could be.

However, there is a bill that appears to have gone through both the House and the Senate. The Very important part of this bill is requiring a 2/3 vote as that is difficult to get.

https://www.kcci.com/article/bill-limiting-property-tax-hikes-clears-iowa-legislature/27270042

That House and Senate bill is a terrible idea and does absolutely nothing to lower property taxes. It just sets up City's and County's to fail in the future. But I wouldn't expect anything else from our GOP controlled government.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Pity those poor folks whose increased property taxes on their second homes will be offset multiple times over by their income tax reductions at both the federal and state levels.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Pity those poor folks whose increased property taxes on their second homes will be offset multiple times over by their income tax reductions at both the federal and state levels.

Because of the $10,000 cap on federal they won't likely get the full benefit.