***Official March Madness Thread***

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm going to expose a little bit of ignorance here. I've heard the term "chalky" quite a few times during this tournament and it's a slang term I haven't come across before. Would someone please define it for me?

"Chalk" means the seed favorites win. So a 1 beats an 8, 2 beats a 7, 3 beats a 6, 4 beats a 5, next round, 1 beats the 4, 2 beats the 3, next round, 1 beats the 2 - that's chalk.

• Useful
Reactions: KillBilly

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
"Chalk" means the seed favorites win. So a 1 beats an 8, 2 beats a 7, 3 beats a 6, 4 beats a 5, next round, 1 beats the 4, 2 beats the 3, next round, 1 beats the 2 - that's chalk.
Thanks for the explanation!
It's just been kind of weird this year. Higher seeds winning out has happened in the past a lot, but I've only been hearing (or maybe noticing) the term this year. Seems like every commentator & halftime panelist has just discovered it, and has been using/abusing it! :D

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It'll take a few years to confirm this is the case or not, but i wouldnt be surprised if the new metrics make the seeding more 'accurate' and thus more likely to be chalky.

Could be. Even if the new system results in fewer upsets, It's difficult to know if it's due to more accurate seeding or only a coincidence. Hard to say how many seasons of samples it'd require to make a comparison.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The Sweet Sixteen tied for the lowest sum of seeds in history (i.e. was the chalkiest). Elite Eight was the 3rd lowest. Also, every team left but Duke won their first 3 by double-digit average.

I haven’t been posting some of my tidbits on here, but they are on my blog.

Http://hoopstournament.blogspot.com

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Sweet Sixteen tied for the lowest sum of seeds in history (i.e. was the chalkiest). Elite Eight was the 3rd lowest. Also, every team left but Duke won their first 3 by double-digit average.

I haven’t been posting some of my tidbits on here, but they are on my blog.

Http://hoopstournament.blogspot.com

Thanks for update. I was curious. There were three 12 vs. 5's, but only one double-digit to Sweet 16. Other than that, couldn't remember how many times there have been more than one region with 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Gonzaga gets to work on so many defenses during the year because they play in such a ****** conference.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Thanks for update. I was curious. There were three 12 vs. 5's, but only one double-digit to Sweet 16. Other than that, couldn't remember how many times there have been more than one region with 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3.
The 14 of top 16 was also tied for the record. Only KU and KSU missed and they were both 4 seeds. Same thing happened in 2009.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500