***Official WV postgame thread***

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
What does this even mean? Huggins gets a T to set up the refs for a game...five weeks later? When the officials of both games were completely different? This is nonsensical.
So, Big12 referee meetings never exist? And B12 referees never talk to each other?
Ok. If those two are too difficult for you, give me a more plausible reason why a hall of fame coach would get tee’d up that late in a game where the outcome was already determined?

• Disagree
Reactions: PlanoClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I didn't read this thread but will comment that I found it interesting last night after the MJ/THT thingy CSP sub out THT and sometime thereafter sub him back in the game for MJ. I thought that was a deft coaching play that wasn't mere coincidence.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I didn't read this thread but will comment that I found it interesting last night after the MJ/THT thingy CSP sub out THT and sometime thereafter sub him back in the game for MJ. I thought that was a deft coaching play that wasn't mere coincidence.

I didn't think much of it. At that point I was surprised to see THT back in the game at all. I'm not sure I would've put him back in the game after that little blow-up.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I didn't think much of it. At that point I was surprised to see THT back in the game at all. I'm not sure I would've put him back in the game after that little blow-up.
Managing is always about people first. And dealing with egos at this level has to be the top challenge for coaches. Marcus Foster almost ended Bruce Weber's career and what a shame that would have been. I see similarities for CSP here, in multiples.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So, Big12 referee meetings never exist? And B12 referees never talk to each other?
Ok. If those two are too difficult for you, give me a more plausible reason why a hall of fame coach would get tee’d up that late in a game where the outcome was already determined?

Um, because he was frustrated that his last-place team was losing by 25?

You sound ridiculous. I'm sure Big 12 officials do communicate with one another. But the idea that Huggins has the influence to send a message from one set of officials to another set of officials to carry out some vendetta against ISU in a relatively meaningless game five weeks later is some next-level conspiracy sh*t.

There are plenty of arguments to be made for terrible officiating without the tinfoil hat stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Walden4Prez

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting. Would you also want the NBA to get rid of their draft age limit rule or do you want guys like Zion Williamson to have to play four years of college basketball?

You go straight to the NBA or you play a minimum of 3 years of college. The Upper Level players use the one year in college for branding. Zion doesn’t get that level of shoe deal without the platform to showcase his skills provided by Duke.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Managing is always about people first. And dealing with egos at this level has to be the top challenge for coaches. Marcus Foster almost ended Bruce Weber's career and what a shame that would have been. ...

Just curious. Were there many in 'Fire Bruce'
camp after he ran off Foster?

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
My bad, how foolish of me to think that I could simply post on a fanatic website without first consulting with the guy who spends his life on here and is thus more relevant than everyone else. Thanks for checking me oh wise one.

That dude is probably one of the most ignored posters on this site, do not engage.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
You go straight to the NBA or you play a minimum of 3 years of college. The Upper Level players use the one year in college for branding. Zion doesn’t get that level of shoe deal without the platform to showcase his skills provided by Duke.

100% agree.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Either my reading comprehension have waned in my old age, or the "breaking news" hasn't broken yet?

• Optimistic
Reactions: JBone84

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
That was a microcosm of the entire season.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
So does that mean that all of the games we’ve won Prohm outcoached Self, Smart, Weber, Beard? This really doesn’t make any sense.

I believe Steve's wins here are more a product of some extremely talented players on his roster, rather than the players benefitting from his coaching prowess.

I do give him credit for bringing in some of those players. But he seems to struggle managing those egos, or maximize their talent. Even teams with more talent than their opponents don't always win, clearly evidenced this season. It's the coach's job to help his players work thru struggles, make adjustments and set them up for success. Not do the same damn thing game after game.

kcbob79clone

I too was surprised. For a defensive coach I am surprised at the lack of substituting when a player continually misses assignments. I'm of the old school that if you don't play defense you don't play. If you're in the game and play bad defense you don't play.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
The cult of Hoiberg is catching up...
Honestly, if our fanbase is going to be this crazy about basketball and compare each coach and team to Hoiberg's 5 tournament teams, than him being our head coach might not have been worth it. Beyond any criticism of Prohm and what is going on with the team since he has been here, I think a lot of the fanbase has never recovered to Fred leaving.

kcbob79clone

These kids need to stop worrying about the nba and focus on their schooling and school ball.

Agree with this. In retrospect the crazy drives to the baskets and throw up off balance shots happens more often than not when NBA scouts are in the building. The movement of the ball, the extra pass, etc. happens when no NBA scouts in the building.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Honestly, if our fanbase is going to be this crazy about basketball and compare each coach and team to Hoiberg's 5 tournament teams, than him being our head coach might not have been worth it. Beyond any criticism of Prohm and what is going on with the team since he has been here, I think a lot of the fanbase has never recovered to Fred leaving.
We already had trust issues. When one of our own left, it was the ultimate nut shot.