Cyclones fall to #23

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
in the updated AP Poll. Seems like a harsh drop but I can’t really argue it when you get blown out at home to an unranked team.

Iowa State is on the edge of going from potential Big 12 champion favorites to unranked in a span of 1 week.

This is going to be a very crucial 2 weeks for Iowa State. Our next 3 games are against teams that we are 0-3 against with the 4th coming against a team that we also struggled with.

@ KSU
Baylor
@ TCU
@ Texas.

Coming off a tough home loss, I’ll be pretty happy with 2-2 in the next 4. If we manage to only get 1 win, we’ll find ourselves in a situation where we’ve only 1 out of our last 5 games.

We are way too talented to have a big losing streak so hopefully the guys bounce back quickly.

Last edited:

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, it definitely is a big drop but it was expected. We looked awful on Saturday, except for the first 4 minutes and the last 3 minutes of the game.

The positives is that I believe we are having a much better season than expected. Being ranked now for more than a month straight is something I am excited about. Having one of the top scorers in the Big 12 is something to be excited about. Good things are happening, we are projected to be a top-ish seed in the tournament (for now).

Still optimistic about the upcoming month. Is there something to worry about? Sure, after we've been accustomed to winning. But to me, this is still the last year of "rebuilding" the losses of Niang, Morris, Naz, etc... and next year should be full swing again.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
As others have said, AP doesn't matter for NCAA tourney, but the publicity and perception do matter some.

It's probably two main things.
1. Having two wins the previous week where ISU didn't look good plays into it. "Winning ugly" two games followed by a win is totally different than looking ragged and pulling out two wins followed by getting housed at home against an unranked team.
2. Lots of AP voters are completely clueless.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
About right, probably lucky it wasn't more after that curb stopping on our home floor.

I just want to see a well played game next weekend. Remind me that we are capable of playing top 15 basketball.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Still ranked, so can't complain too much, but that was a decent drop. Probably didn't help that Monday was a while back for our last win.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
The most important thing for ISU is to figure out how to get out of their current funk. I was hoping after Texas and Oklahoma that they would find their groove again. Didn't happen against TCU.

I'm hoping that the Big12 hasn't figured out collectively how to disrupt the ISU offense. If so, we need to figure out a counter to what people are doing to shut us down.

As said by other posters, the next 4 games look tough. If we are to have a good showing we need to play well over the next two weeks.

Go Clones!

• Agree
Reactions: cstrunk

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
This team has usually come through when they feel like they need to make a statement or when people count them out. I like our chances at K-State this Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: TyCloneHoops

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Coaches have us at #22 which about where I thought we would be this week. Still like what this Cyclone team has a chance to do in post season.
As coach said 'we were humbled'. Let's see how they respond. It might just be a blessing in disguise.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron