DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/deathstroke-movie-director/

A Deathstroke movie is now in the works over at WB, which I'm actually kind of stoked about. There is no doubt I haven't been crazy about not only how many movies WB likes to announce wwwaaayyy ahead of time, because it is all talk and no production, but also how many of them are villain centric. With that said, of all the villain movies, I like this idea by far the most. Deathstroke is an amazing character that could make for an amazing movie, especially being done by the director who directed The Raid. Expect this one to be pretty grounded. Manu Bennett was awesome playing Deathstroke in the Arrow TV show where they produced a great story arch for him.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Not gonna lie, this one surprised me BIG time and at first, I did not like it at all. The dude is somewhat of a nerdy twig, and I loved him in that role for Chuck. I was a really big Chuck fan. However, Shazam is like the opposite of what he is from a physical standpoint, which means the dude will have to hit the gym HARD, which I'm not sure is even possible given the short timeline. However, physical stuff aside, what is growing on me is the intended comedic lighter tone they are going for with this movie and that is very much Zachary Levi. In fact, I think he could be amazing in the part from a personality standpoint. Therefore, as time has gone on, Levi being cast is growing on me to the point where I kind of like it. The physical side isn't impossible either as John Krasinski did an amazing job transforming for his role in 13 Hours. He kicked butt in that movie and I'd actually compare everything about Zachary Levi to John Krasinski from physique to sense of humor. So, if Jim Harpert could possibly become Shazam, so can Chuck in my mind. In fact, I've been clamoring for John Krasinski to land a superhero role for a long time now. He almost was cast as Captain America.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not gonna lie, this one surprised me BIG time and at first, I did not like it at all. The dude is somewhat of a nerdy twig, and I loved him in that role for Chuck. I was a really big Chuck fan. However, Shazam is like the opposite of what he is from a physical standpoint, which means the dude will have to hit the gym HARD, which I'm not sure is even possible given the short timeline. However, physical stuff aside, what is growing on me is the intended comedic lighter tone they are going for with this movie and that is very much Zachary Levi. In fact, I think he could be amazing in the part from a personality standpoint. Therefore, as time has gone on, Levi being cast is growing on me to the point where I kind of like it. The physical side isn't impossible either as John Krasinski did an amazing job transforming for his role in 13 Hours. He kicked butt in that movie and I'd actually compare everything about Zachary Levi to John Krasinski from physique to sense of humor. So, if Jim Harpert could possibly become Shazam, so can Chuck in my mind. In fact, I've been clamoring for John Krasinski to land a superhero role for a long time now. He almost was cast as Captain America.

I agree 100%. This casting choice indicates that this will have a much more comedic tone, which is good given the character. I was a fan of Chuck as well and was also a fan of Levi's voice work in Disney's Tangled. He'll have to hit the gym for sure, but he's at least shown that he has the ability and physicality to pull off a fighting role as well.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I agree 100%. This casting choice indicates that this will have a much more comedic tone, which is good given the character. I was a fan of Chuck as well and was also a fan of Levi's voice work in Disney's Tangled. He'll have to hit the gym for sure, but he's at least shown that he has the ability and physicality to pull off a fighting role as well.

He truly could be pretty hilarious in the role. I love his brand of humor and it fits the Billy Batson character perfectly.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Saw this cosplay on the internet and I think everyone needs to admit this is pretty amazing:

DLpXTPbXUAE9LZ7.jpg

This woman is like a professional cosplay person and some of her other ones are pretty amazing too. I don't doubt there are a few guys out there wishing she was their girlfriend :).

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-runtime-warner-bros/

The latest reports are that Justice League's shockingly short 2 hour runtime was requested by WB's executives. In general, I really don't like hearing stuff like this as I'm in the boat that a 2 hour runtime for our first Justice League movie ever seems really short, especially when you consider all the new characters they are introducing in this film. . In the end, if it is good, whatever, I'm okay with it. However, if this movie feels chopped up and shortened, I won't be too happy. Overall, for superhero movies, particularly these team-up ones, there isn't a set length things need to be, but I think there is about a 2 hour 20 minute sweet spot that has proven to be pretty successful out there. I also don't like studio execs telling directors how long their movie needs to be. I also don't like knee jerk reactions. Yes, Batman vs Superman was a mistake and wwwwaaayyyy tooo long, but in response, don't go overboard in the other direction either. There is a reason why most Marvel movies average probably about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and the team-up ones are usually longer than that.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-runtime-warner-bros/

The latest reports are that Justice League's shockingly short 2 hour runtime was requested by WB's executives. In general, I really don't like hearing stuff like this as I'm in the boat that a 2 hour runtime for our first Justice League movie ever seems really short, especially when you consider all the new characters they are introducing in this film. . In the end, if it is good, whatever, I'm okay with it. However, if this movie feels chopped up and shortened, I won't be too happy. Overall, for superhero movies, particularly these team-up ones, there isn't a set length things need to be, but I think there is about a 2 hour 20 minute sweet spot that has proven to be pretty successful out there. I also don't like studio execs telling directors how long their movie needs to be. I also don't like knee jerk reactions. Yes, Batman vs Superman was a mistake and wwwwaaayyyy tooo long, but in response, don't go overboard in the other direction either. There is a reason why most Marvel movies average probably about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and the team-up ones are usually longer than that.

Ok

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-early-reactions-a-step-in-the-right-direction-for-dc/

First Justice League reactions are in and while fairly positive across the board, there still looks to be a fair amount of flaws. Truthfully, with all the turmoil in the production of this thing, I'll take these and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie myself. At this point, I don't need a barn-burner Justice League. What I want is something that gets me excited for the future of the DCEU rather than wanting it to end and this sounds like it accomplishes that. It at least didn't crap the bed.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-early-reactions-a-step-in-the-right-direction-for-dc/

First Justice League reactions are in and while fairly positive across the board, there still looks to be a fair amount of flaws. Truthfully, with all the turmoil in the production of this thing, I'll take these and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie myself. At this point, I don't need a barn-burner Justice League. What I want is something that gets me excited for the future of the DCEU rather than wanting it to end and this sounds like it accomplishes that. It at least didn't crap the bed.

Aww the old, "At least you didn't **** yourself" moral victory.

If they can start a successful series of movies from Justice League, then it will be a success. So many DC movies have tried to open up to a series and just fallen on their faces.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Rotten Tomatoes will not be releasing their overall rating of Justice League tomorrow when the review embargo is lifted. The reason behind this is so they can “reveal” the rating on their Facebook show “See It/Skip It” which will air on Wednesday night. The overall score will not be revealed until the next day, which happens to be JLs opening day, so any viewers hitting up the midnight showings won’t be able to see the reviews on RT until after they see the film. Of course, if you’re already planning on seeing JL opening night, then the reviews aren’t going to stop you, but it’s still ****** that RT won’t reveal the reviews.

Side-note: WB is a minority owner of RT.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/11/1...veal-aggregate-review-score-until-opening-day

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
A lot of the initial reviews for JL all seem to be saying the same thing: the JL heroes are all great, but the plot and villains aren't. Here's an optimistic synopsis from io9s review this morning:

But even when the film around them is sloppy or ineffective, the characters are likable—charming, even. That’s not something that can be said for many superhero movies. So despite the fact that there are only some parts of Justice League that truly work, the whole film is a bundle of potential. It creates genuine interest and excitement for a Cyborg movie, an Aquaman movie, and a Flash movie. This film does a lot of heavy lifting, which at times hurts it immensely. But as a result a foundation has been set. We know who these characters are, what they can do, and we actually like them. Now, all DC and Warner Bros. have to do is make those films better.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/justice-league-isnt-great-but-it-sets-up-great-things-1820403981

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A lot of the initial reviews for JL all seem to be saying the same thing: the JL heroes are all great, but the plot and villains aren't. Here's an optimistic synopsis from io9s review this morning:

But even when the film around them is sloppy or ineffective, the characters are likable—charming, even. That’s not something that can be said for many superhero movies. So despite the fact that there are only some parts of Justice League that truly work, the whole film is a bundle of potential. It creates genuine interest and excitement for a Cyborg movie, an Aquaman movie, and a Flash movie. This film does a lot of heavy lifting, which at times hurts it immensely. But as a result a foundation has been set. We know who these characters are, what they can do, and we actually like them. Now, all DC and Warner Bros. have to do is make those films better.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/justice-league-isnt-great-but-it-sets-up-great-things-1820403981

Color me skeptical (avowed Marvel guy).

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I just saw Justice League opening night last night and will post my usual spoiler-free review for everyone. Coming into this review, I should probably note a few things to put things in context. Rotten Tomatoes currently is showing a 38% Rotten score for Justice League, which isn't good, and in general, my reviews don't stray super far from RT scores. I even came into this movie pretty skeptical after seeing these scores. Also, my past history with the DCEU is this. I really liked Man of Steel, while I recognize its flaws. At first, I hated Batman vs Superman, although it has grown a bit on me some since, especially after seeing the Ultimate Cut that filled in a lot of plot holes. Still don't really like it. I really did not like Suicide Squad, although a few things in it were fun and good. I loved Wonder Woman to death and consider it a top-tier Superhero movie of all time. Lastly, I'm truly about a 50-50 Marvel/DC guy and want both universes to succeed.

With all that thrown out there, screw Rotten Tomatoes on this one. I really liked and enjoyed Justice League. Yes, the general consensus out there right now of its main flaws being a relatively weak CGI villain, a fairly vanilla plot, still botching Superman a bit, not enough back-story, and not being long enough are all true to some extent. However, I was easily able to look past all of those in this case due to what the movie did right, which was the team of the Justice League. In fact, over the course of this movie, I came to love every single member of this team, and the only thing better than each member, was their on-screen chemistry together. This chemistry is what Justice League, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers got right, and what movies like Suicide Squad got wrong. I've been waiting my entire life to see the Justice League finally on the big screen, they are who I came to see, and they are who I got, which is why I was okay with Steppenwolf being downplayed a bit in this instance, since it allowed more time for the heroes to shine.

While I am still disappointed that all the new characters didn't get enough backstory to lead up to them teaming up together, I still found what we got as at least good enough, especially when you consider how short of time they had to do it with a 2 hour long run-time. When I say good enough, I mean that each character had just enough of a back-story to make the teaming up and the reason for the teaming up of all these guys to be pulled off fairly well and feel relatively natural. Then, once you get past that teaming-up, I felt the on-screen chemistry of all of them only grew as the film went on. Each character has their respective role to play and nobody felt left to the side. In fact, the two actors/characters I felt most skeptical of around a year ago were Cyborg and The Flash, and I would say those two characters were the stand-out characters for me. Aquaman was no slouch either. In particular, I loved how well they interwove Cyborg into the plot to make what could easily be a really goofy weird character not feel that way.

Overall, I came into this movie fairly skeptical and spent nearly the entire movie smiling and having tons of fun, even with recognizing all its flaws. The movie is break-neck throughout with no wasted time, which is both good and a bit bad. Truthfully, my biggest complaint by far was that the movie just WAS NOT long enough, not because it was bad and missing stuff like Batman vs Superman, but rather because it was good and left me wanting more. What I wanted more in particular of was the backstory to each character. In fact, I'm really kind of mad at the Warner Bros head mandating the movie be under 2 hours after the over-long debacle that was BVS. I'd just for once like WB to simply react to the mistakes of their previous movies, but not overreact. No, these movies don't need to be 3 hours long, but they also kind of need to be longer than 2 hours too, particularly with team-up movies, and even more so with ones which are introducing a lot of new major characters. With that said, this is one where I really hope they end up with an extended-cut blu-ray edition that adds another good 20-30 minutes to the film. I'll be chomping at the bit to see that if they do.

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts. As I repeat, screw Rotten Tomatoes on this. I get to some extent some of their criticisms, but I do find them to be overly too harsh on this one. I'm even one who loves the service, thinks the aggregate scores get most things right, but not in this case. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Justice League is a 38 when movies like Thor:Ragnarok are a 92, Doctor Strange is an 89, Iron Man 2 is a 73, The Incredible Hulk is a 62, and Spider-Man 3 is a 63. I mean, Spider-Man 3 is a 63!!!! Are you freaking kidding me???? Maybe I'm finally starting to believe there is some DC bias out there. /rant

If you are looking for another really good spoiler-free review, I'd strongly recommend watching this. All these guys pretty much in total agreement with me.

I think you'll find that most actual superhero fans out there are in agreement with me also.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: tm3308 and State43

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I mean, Spider-Man 3 is a 63!!!! Are you freaking kidding me???? Maybe I'm finally starting to believe there is some DC bias out there. /rant

Definitely anti-DC bias out there, and it drives me nuts. It almost makes me think there's some kind of conspiracy, and that WB should have some lawyers getting to the bottom of it.

I'm going to try to get out to see it this weekend with my daughter.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I just saw Justice League opening night last night and will post my usual spoiler-free review for everyone. Coming into this review, I should probably note a few things to put things in context. Rotten Tomatoes currently is showing a 38% Rotten score for Justice League, which isn't good, and in general, my reviews don't stray super far from RT scores. I even came into this movie pretty skeptical after seeing these scores. Also, my past history with the DCEU is this. I really liked Man of Steel, while I recognize its flaws. At first, I hated Batman vs Superman, although it has grown a bit on me some since, especially after seeing the Ultimate Cut that filled in a lot of plot holes. Still don't really like it. I really did not like Suicide Squad, although a few things in it were fun and good. I loved Wonder Woman to death and consider it a top-tier Superhero movie of all time. Lastly, I'm truly about a 50-50 Marvel/DC guy and want both universes to succeed.

With all that thrown out there, screw Rotten Tomatoes on this one. I really liked and enjoyed Justice League. Yes, the general consensus out there right now of its main flaws being a relatively weak CGI villain, a fairly vanilla plot, still botching Superman a bit, not enough back-story, and not being long enough are all true to some extent. However, I was easily able to look past all of those in this case due to what the movie did right, which was the team of the Justice League. In fact, over the course of this movie, I came to love every single member of this team, and the only thing better than each member, was their on-screen chemistry together. This chemistry is what Justice League, Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers got right, and what movies like Suicide Squad got wrong. I've been waiting my entire life to see the Justice League finally on the big screen, they are who I came to see, and they are who I got, which is why I was okay with Steppenwolf being downplayed a bit in this instance, since it allowed more time for the heroes to shine.

While I am still disappointed that all the new characters didn't get enough backstory to lead up to them teaming up together, I still found what we got as at least good enough, especially when you consider how short of time they had to do it with a 2 hour long run-time. When I say good enough, I mean that each character had just enough of a back-story to make the teaming up and the reason for the teaming up of all these guys to be pulled off fairly well and feel relatively natural. Then, once you get past that teaming-up, I felt the on-screen chemistry of all of them only grew as the film went on. Each character has their respective role to play and nobody felt left to the side. In fact, the two actors/characters I felt most skeptical of around a year ago were Cyborg and The Flash, and I would say those two characters were the stand-out characters for me. Aquaman was no slouch either. In particular, I loved how well they interwove Cyborg into the plot to make what could easily be a really goofy weird character not feel that way.

Overall, I came into this movie fairly skeptical and spent nearly the entire movie smiling and having tons of fun, even with recognizing all its flaws. The movie is break-neck throughout with no wasted time, which is both good and a bit bad. Truthfully, my biggest complaint by far was that the movie just WAS NOT long enough, not because it was bad and missing stuff like Batman vs Superman, but rather because it was good and left me wanting more. What I wanted more in particular of was the backstory to each character. In fact, I'm really kind of mad at the Warner Bros head mandating the movie be under 2 hours after the over-long debacle that was BVS. I'd just for once like WB to simply react to the mistakes of their previous movies, but not overreact. No, these movies don't need to be 3 hours long, but they also kind of need to be longer than 2 hours too, particularly with team-up movies, and even more so with ones which are introducing a lot of new major characters. With that said, this is one where I really hope they end up with an extended-cut blu-ray edition that adds another good 20-30 minutes to the film. I'll be chomping at the bit to see that if they do.

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts. As I repeat, screw Rotten Tomatoes on this. I get to some extent some of their criticisms, but I do find them to be overly too harsh on this one. I'm even one who loves the service, thinks the aggregate scores get most things right, but not in this case. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Justice League is a 38 when movies like Thor:Ragnarok are a 92, Doctor Strange is an 89, Iron Man 2 is a 73, The Incredible Hulk is a 62, and Spider-Man 3 is a 63. I mean, Spider-Man 3 is a 63!!!! Are you freaking kidding me???? Maybe I'm finally starting to believe there is some DC bias out there. /rant

If you are looking for another really good spoiler-free review, I'd strongly recommend watching this. All these guys pretty much in total agreement with me.

I think you'll find that most actual superhero fans out there are in agreement with me also.

Oh yeah, the second worst thing about Justice League was no-joke the Superman mustache debacle. For those of you who don't know, Josh Whedon came in for Zack Snyder to direct a ton of reshoots for this movie and during those reshoots, Henry Cavill was forced to keep a mustache due to his other Mission Impossible contract. Therefore, all these reshoots, which were seemingly Superman heavy, were shot with Henry Cavill's mustache, which they later CGI'd out. Well, while I figured I wouldn't even notice the CGI, I was COMPLETELY wrong. The CGI job was so so so so bad, I could literally notice every single scene they had to do it in, which was a lot of his scenes. In fact, its so distracting, it was hard to notice anything else, and you get hit with it literally from the start. The movie actually starts with a Superman flashback scene where BAM, there it is front and center, probably the worst CGI job of it you see the entire movie. No getting around it. Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron