*** Official Nebraska vs Iowa State “secret” scrimmage thread ***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lol some of these reactions are hilarious. We’re an NIT team because of a preseason scrimmage with Nebraska?

Lol again...
That’s a leap, on your part.

Those posts are saying we’re an NIT team because we lost a ton. This scrimmage didn’t change that thought, nor would beating them by 8 change it.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I heard we had a small cheer block at the scrimmage and they were chanting "lets play football" at the end of the scrimmage.

Man it is cool being a football school.

Reactions: jcyclonee and NWICY

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Some basic thoughts about this...

-- I never thought we would lose a game where we score 84 and shoot 8/15 from three. It is going to be a very different world without Monté around.

-- 23-30 on the boards is not exactly getting "slaughtered," but without our lack of turnovers generating "extra possessions" for us this year compared to other teams, we are going to have troubles if our half-court offense is not as efficient as in the past.

-- Ironically, though, talking about that for a second -- half-court offense -- looked like it went pretty well from what I can see from the above figures.

-- DJack came to ball -- love to see him win all-conference this year.

-- The lack of Talley is concerning, given what we heard about him being the Nader/Burton style breakout player that Prohm likes, but it looks like Beverly was able to replace him, at least on the offensive end, and definitely with the 3/3 3PT shooting.

-- The fact our starting 4 and 5 each had 6 PF is not a good feeling.

-- Wiggi and Lewis going to have to still come along slow, but we expected that.

-- Lard looks to be way more of a sophomore 4* than a 3* freshman -- terrific. Just based on the line above, I would start Jackson, Wiggi, Beverly, Lard, Young.

-- We had 88 shots (FG + 3PT + FT) and Nebraska had 104. Remember what I said about extra possessions? Last year's team made up for its lack of rebounding by rarely turning the ball over and by having four ball-hawking guards and Deonte Burton around, ready to block fools, which generated a lot of blocks and steals. The rebounding was not there tonight, which sucks, but neither were the steals, which might suck more.

-- This team looks like it clicked offensively, which is good because that was a worry, but it was awful at rebounding, okay at playing defense (they shot 51.8% from the field but somehow 52.6% from 3PT... which means this was probably like the Nader-Niang-McKay team that was never in position on rotations and thus got torched by opponents bombing away from deep... it would not shock me if they picked on Wiggi, Jakolby, or Terrence from outside...), and could not stop people without fouling them... Nick, come on, you are better than that, you were last year.

-- Good news -- these are all things that come with experience and that Prohm can help to teach them. If they know how to score already, great, and I hope Prohm & Co. can teach them how to defend in the next few months and that Talley and Brase can come in to add some desperately needed experience and post depth/defense.

-- This looks like an NIT team right now, not the "sneak into the tournament" sort, though. :(
My basic thought....

You wrote nearly 500 words on a scrimmage box score. My mind is, figuratively, blown.

Last edited:

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Going to be an interesting year. Lots of new parts being plugged into the machine. I think the talent and potential is there to make the post-season but I just want to see improvement over the course of the season. A pre-season scrimmage in Lincoln is not going to shape my mind on how the season might play out.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Some basic thoughts about this...

-- I never thought we would lose a game where we score 84 and shoot 8/15 from three. It is going to be a very different world without Monté around.

-- 23-30 on the boards is not exactly getting "slaughtered," but without our lack of turnovers generating "extra possessions" for us this year compared to other teams, we are going to have troubles if our half-court offense is not as efficient as in the past.

-- Ironically, though, talking about that for a second -- half-court offense -- looked like it went pretty well from what I can see from the above figures.

-- DJack came to ball -- love to see him win all-conference this year.

-- The lack of Talley is concerning, given what we heard about him being the Nader/Burton style breakout player that Prohm likes, but it looks like Beverly was able to replace him, at least on the offensive end, and definitely with the 3/3 3PT shooting.

-- The fact our starting 4 and 5 each had 6 PF is not a good feeling.

-- Wiggi and Lewis going to have to still come along slow, but we expected that.

-- Lard looks to be way more of a sophomore 4* than a 3* freshman -- terrific. Just based on the line above, I would start Jackson, Wiggi, Beverly, Lard, Young.

-- We had 88 shots (FG + 3PT + FT) and Nebraska had 104. Remember what I said about extra possessions? Last year's team made up for its lack of rebounding by rarely turning the ball over and by having four ball-hawking guards and Deonte Burton around, ready to block fools, which generated a lot of blocks and steals. The rebounding was not there tonight, which sucks, but neither were the steals, which might suck more.

-- This team looks like it clicked offensively, which is good because that was a worry, but it was awful at rebounding, okay at playing defense (they shot 51.8% from the field but somehow 52.6% from 3PT... which means this was probably like the Nader-Niang-McKay team that was never in position on rotations and thus got torched by opponents bombing away from deep... it would not shock me if they picked on Wiggi, Jakolby, or Terrence from outside...), and could not stop people without fouling them... Nick, come on, you are better than that, you were last year.

-- Good news -- these are all things that come with experience and that Prohm can help to teach them. If they know how to score already, great, and I hope Prohm & Co. can teach them how to defend in the next few months and that Talley and Brase can come in to add some desperately needed experience and post depth/defense.

-- This looks like an NIT team right now, not the "sneak into the tournament" sort, though. :(

You sure draw a lot of conclusions on a scrimmage.

Here's my observations:

1. We play an exhibition game next Sunday so I'll wait to make observations until a real game setting.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Pretty sure everybody knows it's going to be a rebuilding year. I'm not even sure we make NIT this year. I expect this year to go a lot like Hoibergs first year and we finish around .500

Win 3 or 4 games in the Big 12? Nah. We'll take a step back, but will be better than that team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The proper response is to panic and yell at people to trust Prohm, even though he is clearly out of his league and out of gas.

It's time to freak out. ISU needs a coach who's going to get them to multiple NCAA tourneys and win Big 12 tournaments, and recruit well for the future.

If they're not playing their absolute best by mid-December I'm going to see which coaches are absolutely sucking out there, so we can know who may be available after the season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Count me among the very few that doesn’t think we are going to have a huge drop off... I’m going to get flamed but I think people over value last years senior class because we liked them so much. This will be a better team imo.

Too early to tell good or bad. The talent to be really good is there. No question. How quickly and well they blend is key.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Too early to tell good or bad. The talent to be really good is there. No question. How quickly and well they blend is key.

I'm going to be predict that they're better than Texas was last year, no idea how much better (only using Texas because of their talent vs. results).

I've just been impressed with Prohm getting a group to play better as the season goes on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron