Tips for visiting San Diego

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I am taking a trip to San Diego in the near future and I haven't been there before. Is there any advise for things to see, do, eat etc? I know Mexico is right there, but I don't know if I want to head down there since all of the crazy stuff that is happening right across the boarder. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance!

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I was stationed there while in the Navy. Don't miss the San Diego Zoo. Sea World was also pretty cool. An hour north is Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland (both over-rated). Professional sports. I believe there is a wild animal park you can drive through. If you want to go to the beach, La Jolla has a great one. Enjoy!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Across the street from the Hyatt is a crappy little "bbq" joint, called Kansas City BBQ. Don't go there planning to eat because the BBQ sucks. But it is the bar from Top Gun where Mav, Goose, Kelli McGillis, and Meg Ryan did the "You shake my nerves and you rattle my brains..." scene, as well as others. One of Mav's helmets from the movie is still in there, and the piano is still in there too. If you went in there without somebody telling you that the bar was known for Top Gun you'd probably never really figure it out because its not really an "in your face" thing. If you hang out long enough you will do NightTrain shots every time one of the trains goes behind the building. NightTrain shots suck, but they're only $0.25.

600 W Harbor Dr., San Diego, CA 92101

Last edited:

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Don't bother with downtown unless you like urine

Ocean Beach / Pacific Beach are fun to visit

Point Loma is worth visiting

Torrey Pines is a nice hike

Fish tacos, fish tacos, fish tacos (at the beach, that is!)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The gas lamp district is a cool area with some really good restaurants.
There is some good kayaking and snorkeling around La Jolla.
The USS Midway Museum is interesting if that interests you.
Coronado Island is worth the trip.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Who are you going with? I have had different experiences based on who I was there with.

Wife/GF, all things mentioned above are a good time.

If it is a boys weekend, the talent is unbelievable. So bring your sun glasses.

Reactions: octaviouspoon

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Across the street from the Hyatt is a crappy little "bbq" joint, called Kansas City BBQ. Don't go there planning to eat because the BBQ sucks. But it is the bar from Top Gun where Mav, Goose, Kelli McGillis, and Meg Ryan did the "You shake my nerves and you rattle my brains..." scene, as well as others. One of Mav's helmets from the movie is still in there, and the piano is still in there too. If you went in there without somebody telling you that the bar was known for Top Gun you'd probably never really figure it out because its not really an "in your face" thing. If you hang out long enough you will do NightTrain shots every time one of the trains goes behind the building. NightTrain shots suck, but they're only $0.25.

600 W Harbor Dr., San Diego, CA 92101
Truth. That bar burned down a few years ago and they lost most of their memorabilia. No reason to go now.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Petco park is amazing, even when the padres stink. Suggestions so far are spot on. Gaslamp is cool, zoo and SeaWorld are worthwhile. Ocean Beach is a hippie surf slum with a cool vibe (though that is changing quickly) with lots of micro breweries, relatively short drive to OC/la. Somebody mentioned snorkeling, La Jolla Cove is the place to go but stay away from the seals. Right around the corner is La Jolla Shores, not as many fish/lobster/kelp as the cove but the leopard sharks may still be around and that is a really cool experience. Surf schools at the shores as well if you want to give that a try. This has been an outstanding fishing summer, you can book onto a half day or longer boat in point Loma or mission bay docks. You can sail the bay on stars and stripes, Dennis Connor's America's cup boat (not sure if it's the real one or replica).

Have fun.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The USS Midway museum is cool. Little Italy has some good Italian restaurants. Old Town is a fun area to walk around in, as is Mission Beach and its small amusement park. I've never made it out there but have heard Coronado is very nice.

San Diego's a pretty laid back place and I think it would be pretty hard not to like it there.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Thanks for all the info so far. It will be my wife and myself making the trip. We were supposed to go on a cruise in the gulf this weekend, but as you all know another storm is coming, so we canceled those plans and opted on going overt to the west side and chose San Diego.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
Buddy of mine lived there 20+ years. He lived right near Ocean Beach. Fish tacos there are amazing. La Jolla has a really cool tide pool beach area too. We skipped Mexico.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The zoo is amazing and so is the USS Midway if you're into that kind of thing, and maybe even if you're not. Maybe it's super touristy (but I was a tourist so I don't care) but Old Town was a neat place to walk around and we ate at a really good Mexican place for breakfast with a lady making the tortillas right on the patio.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Can't argue with any of the advice. Mission San Diego is worth a look if you're out that direction. Established almost 250 years ago

upload_2017-9-5_13-6-37.jpeg

Reactions: KnappShack

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
Lo Jolla is really cool. Gas Lamp District is a lot of fun. Padres games are fun. They will even let you bring food in to cut down on costs. Coronado Island is really neat.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
If you like italian, there's a great little italian restaurant downtown in of all places... Little Italy San Diego..... If you see it from the street, you could walk right by it... Its the ol New York style with a deli in front and a great lil italian restaurant in back...

Its called Filippi's Pizza Grotto... Pizza is thick crust but the sauce is awesome!!!! Lasagna was good - everything was good.....

• Agree
Reactions: mapnerd

andrewsouthern

May 22, 2017
Ankeny, IA
www.studiosouthern.com
1. Sunset Cliffs... obvious name, but some great sunsets :)
2. The farmers market is really fun to go to. Lots of great local food
3. OB & PB are fun just to walk down. LOTS of bars w/ local brews. OB is a little more surfer/skater vibe.
4. Little Italy is a fun area of downtown that has some neat stores / wine bars
5. Coronado is pretty cool - there are some beaches by Hotel Del Coronado that are really nice.
6. Mitch's Seafood is a great place to eat fish tacos by the harbor.
7. La Playa Taco shop in Pacific Beach... I donno why but I love this place - a little hole in the wall. You can rent Kayaks in Mission Bay which is close by.
8. Balboa Park --- if you do go to the zoo, have a walk through Balboa Park. It's gorgeous.
9. We stayed at an airbnb for really cheap... like 40/night. It was really nice and only a few blocks from the beach. It was like a mini apartment. 2 beds & a bathroom.
10. Have a fire at Mission Bay Beach. It can get a little cooler at night, so a beach fire is always nice. The best part of SD is just walking and discovering places. Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Little Italy are great places to start. Have fun!

• Winner
Reactions: Knownothing