Could this happen during expansion?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
It certainly doesn't seem like it, but anyone who says they know for sure is lying.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I sure hope not.

I think UT, even being the crying rich bithc babies they are, like being here with control. If they bolt, they won't have that kind of control in another conference.

OU scares me a bit - I could see them bolting and that just not leaving enough left. If that happens I think the dominoes begin to fall and this ship crashes with all the rats grabbing anything dry they can. And ISU is not a big rat - we could get wet.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Texas' ego is always underrated by media. KU's worth is always massively overrated by media.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Texas isn't leaving for the Big 10 or SEC to make less money. OU would be the likely target.

I never understood why people say "football is king and basketball doesn't matter" and then say how attractive KU is...

I think the most likely scenario is an extension of the Big 12 GOR similar to what the ACC just did.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I was actually going to post a similar thought in another thread, but decided to delete it in fear of being mocked. IMO, if I were Texas, I'd be looking at the Big 10 hard. They would jump at the chance to add Texas and the windfall of money in locking down that area of the country with the Big 10 network, would be huge. It's no harder path to the playoff than the Big 12 and would probably be a huge increase in money.

The only thing I see preventing it, is Texas ego. I'm not sure they'd like to move where they weren't the dictating Big Dog of the conference. I have a feeling if Texas is really going to share everything, the SEC is where they would want to be. Then again, I never thought Nebraska would bury their ego in favor of money either. So is their goal an easy path to the playoff, more money, a combination of the two, or is their goal to prove they have the ability to dominate college football again.

In any case, I see the PAC 12 as their last landing spot. Yeah, possibly an easier path, but in the end, they'll take a hit on money without really improving any recruiting or prestige for their program.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was actually going to post a similar thought in another thread, but decided to delete it in fear of being mocked. IMO, if I were Texas, I'd be looking at the Big 10 hard. They would jump at the chance to add Texas and the windfall of money in locking down that area of the country with the Big 10 network, would be huge. It's no harder path to the playoff than the Big 12 and would probably be a huge increase in money.

The only thing I see preventing it, is Texas ego. I'm not sure they'd like to move where they weren't the dictating Big Dog of the conference. I have a feeling if Texas is really going to share everything, the SEC is where they would want to be. Then again, I never thought Nebraska would bury their ego in favor of money either. So is their goal an easy path to the playoff, more money, a combination of the two, or is their goal to prove they have the ability to dominate college football again.

In any case, I see the PAC 12 as their last landing spot. Yeah, possibly an easier path, but in the end, they'll take a hit on money without really improving any recruiting or prestige for their program.

You also have the issue with Texas of being far far far geographically removed the Big 10 footprint. Why would Texas want to open the door to their recruiting grounds to schools like OSU & Michigan?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I sure hope not.

I think UT, even being the crying rich bithc babies they are, like being here with control. If they bolt, they won't have that kind of control in another conference.

OU scares me a bit - I could see them bolting and that just not leaving enough left. If that happens I think the dominoes begin to fall and this ship crashes with all the rats grabbing anything dry they can. And ISU is not a big rat - we could get wet.

I am not sure how Oklahoma could after their President was just out there promoting expansion of the conference. Will be interesting times over the next 6 months.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
That is the deal. Texas wants control and $. Everyone else is jealous / angry of Texas but yet still needs them. Some new conference comes calling you have to talk if greater equity there. Like a game of Survivor. Texas can always find a good home if the conference collapsed but not all could.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Could it happen, yes it could. But I just don't see UT's ego checking at the door and entering the B1G or ACC. I don't think UT would ever go to the SEC. OU might be able to be swayed, but again if they go to any of those three conferences they are no longer the #2 program in the conference. Both schools stand to make as much money as either B1G or SEC can offer and more than what the ACC can offer. What makes them bolt. A B12 with a money healthy OU and UT is a stable conference.

KU means nothing, I am not sure these media guys get it. Basketball is pennies compared to football. It doesn't mean ****. Let alone, I don't think the Kansas legislature would let KU leave the B12 without KSU.

I honestly think ESPN and Fox have said we want realignment to be done. B12 we will pay to get on equal footing with everyone else, expand. The B12 will expand to 12 or 14. They will get paid, they will get a GOR out to 2030 something, and we will have stability for the 15 - 20 years.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

I really wonder sometimes if Nebraska had it all over to do again, knowing that the B12 would get paid, if they would move. Once the revenues were equalized within the conference and they got a new windfall of profits, why is the B1G a better home for them. Pretty sure their fans hate it.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Texas isn't leaving for the Big 10 or SEC to make less money. OU would be the likely target.

I never understood why people say "football is king and basketball doesn't matter" and then say how attractive KU is...

I think the most likely scenario is an extension of the Big 12 GOR similar to what the ACC just did.

If you read Sooner and Longhorn boards, you get a strong sense they want to be gone yesterday. The expansion candidates are obviously unimpressive and the difference in $ will continue to grow. B10 new deal will pay 50 million per school. I have a hard time believing Texas or especially OU sign any kind of extension of GOR.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Could it happen, yes it could. But I just don't see UT's ego checking at the door and entering the B1G or ACC. I don't think UT would ever go to the SEC. OU might be able to be swayed, but again if they go to any of those three conferences they are no longer the #2 program in the conference. Both schools stand to make as much money as either B1G or SEC can offer and more than what the ACC can offer. What makes them bolt. A B12 with a money healthy OU and UT is a stable conference.

KU means nothing, I am not sure these media guys get it. Basketball is pennies compared to football. It doesn't mean ****. Let alone, I don't think the Kansas legislature would let KU leave the B12 without KSU.

I honestly think ESPN and Fox have said we want realignment to be done. B12 we will pay to get on equal footing with everyone else, expand. The B12 will expand to 12 or 14. They will get paid, they will get a GOR out to 2030 something, and we will have stability for the 15 - 20 years.

But do they have enough leverage for what they want to really matter all that much? TV rights and contracts are still a big deal right now but not as critical as they were five years ago with so many customers cutting the cord and finding other ways to watch live sporting events.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
SEC = Bama and Florida
Big 10 = OSU and Michigan
Pac 12 = USC
Big 12 - Texas and OU

why would Texas move to another conference with existing top dogs when they can call the shots in the Big 12?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I really wonder sometimes if Nebraska had it all over to do again, knowing that the B12 would get paid, if they would move. Once the revenues were equalized within the conference and they got a new windfall of profits, why is the B1G a better home for them. Pretty sure their fans hate it.

Another reason why Texas isn't coming to the Big 10. They'd just be asking for problems with this move. The Big 10 is in a perfect position right now, the only way they could make it better is kick Rutgers and Maryland out and add OU & OSU.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
You also have the issue with Texas of being far far far geographically removed the Big 10 footprint. Why would Texas want to open the door to their recruiting grounds to schools like OSU & Michigan?

I know there are a lot of issues with it. I don't believe Texas really wants to leave. It's just a thought of mine, that if they did go, that the Big 10 would be a better spot for them than say the SEC or PAC 12. Geographically, it sucks for them, but I still think it would be easier to convince a kid that OSU and Michigan are too far away for one time a year, if even that with 16 teams. But the SEC move would open up a whole lot more doors they would have to deal with. Even with their lack of success lately, they could jump to the Big 10 and still be the Big Dog.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Another reason why Texas isn't coming to the Big 10. They'd just be asking for problems with this move. The Big 10 is in a perfect position right now, the only way they could make it better is kick Rutgers and Maryland out and add OU & OSU.

Big Ten won't kick anyone out. Those programs will take time as they haven't benefited from the extra money yet. Both got added for their TV markets, and I am sure Under Armour at Maryland didn't hurt. I've not hidden the fact I am a Hawk fan first and then a fan of college football and have season tickets to both Iowa and Iowa State games, and when Big Ten added those two teams I was about as excited as finding out I had a dentist appointment the next morning. When Maryland played in Iowa City last year it was like trying to get excited to play a MAC team. Maybe it will grow on us over time. I can't imagine Oklahoma would not move if a good deal was there for them. I think they would prefer the Big Ten to be paired up with Nebraska again. They are under the shadow of Texas and at least in one of the other conferences things are more equal in terms of revenue share and votes. I think Texas feels they can move when Texas wants to move and they can still get a great deal whenever so they may be motivated less. It comes down to could they get more money elsewhere or do other conferences keep moving ahead and they keep falling behind. They haven't done themselves any favors with their play the last 5 years or so. I'd hate to see the conference fall apart. It's pretty cool to have a Big Ten school and a Big 12 school so close together in the same state. Hope they lock it down.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I know there are a lot of issues with it. I don't believe Texas really wants to leave. It's just a thought of mine, that if they did go, that the Big 10 would be a better spot for them than say the SEC or PAC 12. Geographically, it sucks for them, but I still think it would be easier to convince a kid that OSU and Michigan are too far away for one time a year, if even that with 16 teams. But the SEC move would open up a whole lot more doors they would have to deal with. Even with their lack of success lately, they could jump to the Big 10 and still be the Big Dog.

Without a doubt Texas would be right there with Ohio State and Michigan as the tops for the Big Ten. And if Penn State can ever get beyond the Joe Paterno thing they may someday get back there. They want to hang on to memories of a guy that obviously helped cover up for a child rapist. I can't believe some of their fans.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Why is it so hard for people to due math? The way the big 12 contract is structured Texas stands to make $60 mil+ in 2024..lol..let's see that again..$60 mil+. Big ten contact while great is locked in and doesn't increase every year like the big 12 does. Texas made $50 mil last year from TV while every single BIG team made $30 mil. That's a huge diff. Now in 2023 when the BIG tv deal is up and the big 12 tv deal us up could Texas then Bolt? Of course but why the hell would they when you know if the big 12 expands it will either pocket most of that $1 bill and distribute to the 10 members or use it as leverage and rework a brand new TV deal that will continue to make Tx and OU the richest programs in the country for a very long time TV revenue wise.

It is clear that the networks do not want the ACC or Big 12 to go away...it lessens content. it is exactly why ESPN started the LHN and gave the big 12 a good tv deal.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Why is it so hard for people to due math? The way the big 12 contract is structured Texas stands to make $60 mil+ in 2024..lol..let's see that again..$60 mil+. Big ten contact while great is locked in and doesn't increase every year like the big 12 does. Texas made $50 mil last year from TV while every single BIG team made $30 mil. That's a huge diff. Now in 2023 when the BIG tv deal is up and the big 12 tv deal us up could Texas then Bolt? Of course but why the hell would they when you know if the big 12 expands it will either pocket most of that $1 bill and distribute to the 10 members or use it as leverage and rework a brand new TV deal that will continue to make Tx and OU the richest programs in the country for a very long time TV revenue wise.

It is clear that the networks do not want the ACC or Big 12 to go away...it lessens content. it is exactly why ESPN started the LHN and gave the big 12 a good tv deal.

Big 10 schools are projected to make $50-57 million/school by 2018. SEC made $44 million/school last year and should grow that to Big 10 levels within a couple years. Whether Texas wants out or is just posturing, I have a hard time thinking Oklahoma is OK with the gap now, which will most likely widen over time. The B10 has 14 of the 35 biggest markets. The PAC 12 has 9 and the SEC, while it only has 5, has national interest like the NFL because of the brands and quality of football. The B12 has 3 markets in the Top 35.

I can't imagine Texas or especially Oklahoma give any thought to signing an extended GOR, particularly if the added teams are the likes of Memphis, Houston (big market the conference already has), UConn, BYU, Tulane, etc. I think much worse than no expansion would be expansion without an extended GOR. At that point, you're simply counting the time down.

And as for networks not wanting the B12 to go away, they would still have the content from Texas, Oklahoma and others that find a home in a bigger conference. Think they care about the content provided by Texas Tech, KSU, Iowa State? Add Baylor to that list as well if the program implodes.

All of that said, I think the conference's best possibility is to somehow wrangle 4 PAC 12 teams and let that conference be the one to melt down. While they have the big markets, there seems to be something wrong out there. Geography is an issue, but also not sure college football is a real big deal on the west coast.