ISU Football "Pro Style Offense"

2clones4cy

Dec 2, 2012
So assuming Paul is fired at the end of the season. Do we bring in another spread offense type of coach or do we bring in a Pro style offense like Iowa, Stanford and Wisconsin? I personally think we need to switch to a pro style and go under center more. I think with the talent we go up against we need to have a different offense that defenses need to prepare differently for.

As far as recruiting, I think this would benefit us as we wouldn't be going after the same type of talent that the rest of the Big 12 is already going after. The next 5-6 years will be rough as no coach will be able to come in and flip this program right around. Anything is better than the crap display we watch every week.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I fully support this. Run the clock, keep every game close by controlling the ball. Prepare our athletes for the NFL.

hmmm... sounds familiar to KState and Iowa...

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA
McCarney ran a conservative style offense like this and everyone hated it. Everyone said we need to do something original and unique because we would never be able to get the recruits to beat the big boys at their own game. I don't really think that has changed.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'd also like to see an pro-style no huddle offense where the quarterback is given freedom to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage rather than staring at the sideline. Is this possible at the collegiate level? It should be considering how the NFL is complaining about how quarterbacks aren't prepared for the pros.

On a side note- Craig Bohl's Wyoming squad isn't showing significant signs of improvement in his second year. They lost to the Bison to open their season. Obviously not an overnight fix for that kind of a system. You need time to develop players for power football.

I have a hard time believing we can build a power offense at Iowa State capable of shoving it down Oklahoma's front seven any time soon.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
McCarney ran a conservative style offense like this and everyone hated it. Everyone said we need to do something original and unique because we would never be able to get the recruits to beat the big boys at their own game. I don't really think that has changed.

Everyone has no clue what it takes to run a successful football program. Everyone will like the offense, no matter what offense it is, when we win with it. In the meantime, Everyone should shut his mouth and let the pros take care of it.

I could care less what offense it is. The only thing I care about is- can we win with it.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
While I would prefer a flexbone triple option offense I think that is the whole point. Everyone runs the spread now so we need to do something different.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So back to boring ball.... Wow, sounds amazingly boring!!!!! Do you want this on the contract when we go after the Herman's of the world.... You must run boring plays.... You must be conservative, I can see every true athlete we have on this team leaving immediately.....

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

We tried to be "unique" by bringing in Tom Herman. During that time everyone else in the conference converted to a spread-based offense.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I fully support this. Run the clock, keep every game close by controlling the ball. Prepare our athletes for the NFL.

hmmm... sounds familiar to KState and Iowa...

LOL. I get a kick out of this considering what the NFL runs for the most part.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'd also like to see an pro-style no huddle offense where the quarterback is given freedom to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage rather than staring at the sideline. Is this possible at the collegiate level? It should be considering how the NFL is complaining about how quarterbacks aren't prepared for the pros.

On a side note- Craig Bohl's Wyoming squad isn't showing significant signs of improvement in his second year. They lost to the Bison to open their season. Obviously not an overnight fix for that kind of a system. You need time to develop players for power football.

I have a hard time believing we can build a power offense at Iowa State capable of shoving it down Oklahoma's front seven any time soon.

They're prepared if pro coaches knew how to use some of these guys. NFL coaches, in large part refuse to acknowledge that the rules allow QBs to be running threats. When they embrace that, they turn average passers into very good weapons like Kaepernick and Wilson. When they don't, they try and shove Manziel into a pocket he can't see out of and it doesn't work. Then they're shocked. Then they move him around and let him play rather than think and good things happen. I went off on a tangent but the NFL lacks innovation that the college game has. It's coming around slowly and you can see it in defensive personnel.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So back to boring ball.... Wow, sounds amazingly boring!!!!! Do you want this on the contract when we go after the Herman's of the world.... You must run boring plays.... You must be conservative, I can see every true athlete we have on this team leaving immediately.....
Do you honestly think our offense hasn't been boring the last 7 years? K-States pro style offense is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than our spread. Some of you sound like you would hate winning.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Everyone has no clue what it takes to run a successful football program. Everyone will like the offense, no matter what offense it is, when we win with it. In the meantime, Everyone should shut his mouth and let the pros take care of it.

I could care less what offense it is. The only thing I care about is- can we win with it.

This might be the best post in the history of CF. No one cares what kind of offense we run if it wins.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Do you honestly think our offense hasn't been boring the last 7 years? K-States pro style offense is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than our spread. Some of you sound like you would hate winning.

Do you think K-State wins because of their offensive scheme or cuz of some guy called Snyder? Besides, K-State spreads things out plenty. They just run from it a lot.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Do you think K-State wins because of their offensive scheme or cuz of some guy called Snyder? Besides, K-State spreads things out plenty. They just run from it a lot.
My point being if it works, and we win, I will be happy with it. Avoiding it because that offense would be "boring" is a dumb idea, when we probably have the most boring offense out there.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am saying if you want the fastest way to clean house, go with this plan. All the skill players signed with us to play a certain style of offense, you change that you change the need for those players, great plan lets push the program back to the Walden era.....

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I am saying if you want the fastest way to clean house, go with this plan. All the skill players signed with us to play a certain style of offense, you change that you change the need for those players, great plan lets push the program back to the Walden era.....
1. We are already at or below the Walden era
2. Yes it might cause for a longer rebuild, but could also create higher rewards.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

They win with fundamentals and execution. That means sound tackling, blocking, reducing turnovers & penalties. Making less mistakes than your opponent then capitalizing on their errors. This has been painfully absent from our program. We're not going to out-talent anyone at ISU very often, so if we can't play clean football we can't win. I want to see some ******* discipline from our players.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
1. We are already at or below the Walden era
2. Yes it might cause for a longer rebuild, but could also create higher rewards.
I assume you were not old enough for Jim Walden, because we a no where close to that.... That was the worst football you will ever see in Ames.... If you honestly see CPR era is comparable to Walden, you are smoking crack or meth or pop mollies or something!!!

2clones4cy

Dec 2, 2012

The so called Skill players aren't even involved in the game plan! Throw to Lazard!! That didn't happen. How many times when you watch the replay of a run play does our WR's have there thumb up there ***. They don't block down the field. Changing the offense now wouldn't matter as the guys we have haven't proven themselves. Were averaging 24 points a game! I don't think going to the pro style offense is going to decrease that number at all. With the offense we have we should be averaging at least 30ppg in our first 3 games.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I assume you were not old enough for Jim Walden, because we a no where close to that.... That was the worst football you will ever see in Ames.... If you honestly see CPR era is comparable to Walden, you are smoking crack or meth or pop mollies or something!!!
Oh really? Here are Walden's records

1988 5-6
1989 6-5
1990 4-6-1
1991 3-7-1
1992 4-7
1993 3-8
1994 0-10-1
yea.. Rhoads 3-9, 2-10, and soon to be 2-10 records are so so much better. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, you know what they have in common? They won early on and tanked.

Last edited: