Random Thread of Photography

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Introductory disclaimer: I do not have a business, nor am I trying to sell anything. (I wouldn't be good enough to do anything like that if I tried.) If you have a business and want to advertise, more info is here: LINK

This is a thread for people who want to post photos and get input from others - I accidentally deleted the one yesterday. I know there were several people in the "hidden talent" OT thread a few weeks ago who were bitten by the photography bug; share your photos here for input!

Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Re: Photography Opinions Requested

I'm taking an intermediate class at Reiman Gardens last week and this week. My most recent assignment is to put the camera into manual mode and take two photos. Basically, we're supposed to either take one with high aperture and adjust ISO/shutter speed accordingly, then switch to low aperture and do the same; or you can use shutter speed as your starting point, and adjust ISO and f-stop to adjust. (In laymen's terms that means either one photo with a blurry background and one with a sharp background; or one that allows blurred motion and one that stops motion.

I'd love input on these, I need to submit one pair tonight and don't know what to use:

Pair 1 (butterfly):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pair 2 (dragonfly):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pair 3 (monarch):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pair 4 (Dahlia):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pair 5 (feet):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,444
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 1,419
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,426
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,475
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,475
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,330
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,289
Reactions: bawbie

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

what are you advertising?

I'm assuming since she is a mod, she doesn't want to get people ragging on her because she's showing off her photography skills in hopes of drumming up business.

Anyway, I have been wanting to get into photography for a little while, mainly to take pictures of my cooking/homemade dishes. Where did you all begin? Is a beginner's class at a community college the way to go? What camera setup is good for beginners?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I'm assuming since she is a mod, she doesn't want to get people ragging on her because she's showing off her photography skills in hopes of drumming up business.

Anyway, I have been wanting to get into photography for a little while, mainly to take pictures of my cooking/homemade dishes. Where did you all begin? Is a beginner's class at a community college the way to go? What camera setup is good for beginners?

Yeah, I just wanted to be sure to make it clear that advertising should be done through the site. I know it was super-overkill, but I just don't want to break any rules, or to push others to inadvertently!

I have a Canon Rebel T5. In my class, there's about a 50/50 mix of Canons vs. Nikons. We have one lady who has a Sony in our class - it's a little harder for her because her settings are so different. My classes are at Reiman Gardens, so I'm not sure if they're sponsored by ISU - community colleges are good; I think local art resources (like the Octagon Museum here in town) also sometimes have classes.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Re: Photography Fans and Photographers

I didn't post in the other thread..and realizing that people have different taste in art, but for me, those butterfly pictures are astounding...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I didn't post in the other thread..and realizing that people have different taste in art, but for me, those butterfly pictures are astounding...

Well, that just totally made my day - thank you! I wish there had been a little more color in his wings, but those bugs are insane-looking up close!

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm

I agree, the butterfly pictures are really nice. You should consider submitting them to the state fair next year.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

I like the jumping feet

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Angies manual shots talk reminded me that I kinda miss the old "needle chase" viewfinders of the old 35mm cameras of the 1970’s for easily setting shutter and aperture. The auto setting of the last generations of 35mm and all for the new digitals is great but makes manual shots a little awkward and slow, IMHO.

Not totally sold on the kit lenses (like those with my digital Nikon). Boxster casts mournful glance at a shelf FULL of old very high quality yet obsolete Minolta Rokkor and Nikon Nikkor lenses.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Can this become the Random Thread of Photography? I vote yes and am willing to share some pictures. I am a hack amateur but have accidently taken a couple pics I share.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Boxster casts mournful glance at a shelve FULL of old very high quality yet obsolete Minolta Rokkor and Nikon Nikkor lenses.

Yeah...I have an Olympus OM10 (with the manual adapter) and some lenses. My wife made a shadow box out of a couple of the pieces for my office. Really liked that camera...

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I took a class at Des Moines Art Center. Well worth it. Really helped me grasp the basic concepts and apply them to my photo's. I'm actually looking forward to taking some more advanced classes now that I have a little more time.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I agree, the butterfly pictures are really nice. You should consider submitting them to the state fair next year.

That is super-awesome of you to say! I will definitely look into it - there are so many people with so much more talent than me, but it would be nice to get lots of feedback. THANK YOU!

I like the jumping feet 

My daughter thanks you. :wink:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Angies manual shots talk reminded me that I kinda miss the old "needle chase" viewfinders of the old 35mm cameras of the 1970’s for easily setting shutter and aperture. The auto setting of the last generations of 35mm and all for the new digitals is great but makes manual shots a little awkward and slow, IMHO.

Not totally sold on the kit lenses (like those with my digital Nikon). Boxster casts mournful glance at a shelf FULL of old very high quality yet obsolete Minolta Rokkor and Nikon Nikkor lenses.

Yeah...I have an Olympus OM10 (with the manual adapter) and some lenses. My wife made a shadow box out of a couple of the pieces for my office. Really liked that camera...

My teacher in my class has a Pentax DSLR, and he's able to use old Pentax lenses from his film days on it. I don't know if any Nikons or Canons have that capability??

Can this become the Random Thread of Photography? I vote yes and am willing to share some pictures. I am a hack amateur but have accidently taken a couple pics I share.

I 100% want that to happen! I know that I take inspiration from seeing others' work, so hopefully we can all help each other!

I took a class at Des Moines Art Center. Well worth it. Really helped me grasp the basic concepts and apply them to my photo's. I'm actually looking forward to taking some more advanced classes now that I have a little more time.

I didn't know that they had a class down there! Did you read that Living History Farms has a "photography day" sometime this month? It's a whole day of classes.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Boxster, I took your name for the thread!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Photo Tip: If you are taking pictures of golfing foursomes for your ISU alumni event with the sun high high high in the Minnesota summertime sky, you just might want to remember that the damn golf caps put everyone's face in deep shadow. Much time was spent by Boxster dude Photoshopping around this oversight. Grrrrrr.

Next year I'll use a flash or draft someone to come along with a reflector.

#amateurphotohackproblems

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Photo Tip: If you are taking pictures of golfing foursomes for your ISU alumni event with the sun high high high in the Minnesota summertime sky, you just might want to remember that the damn golf caps put everyone's face in deep shadow. Much time was spent by Boxster dude Photoshopping around this oversight. Grrrrrr.

Next year I'll use a flash or draft someone to come along with a reflector.

#amateurphotohackproblems

I did the whole Lightroom/Photoshop for $10/month thing - I can figure out Lightroom to some degree, but Photoshop is baffling to me. And I don't have enough time to just sit down and watch YouTube videos, which I am sure would get me what I need to do.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

My teacher in my class has a Pentax DSLR, and he's able to use old Pentax lenses from his film days on it. I don't know if any Nikons or Canons have that capability??

Olympus does have some conversion mounts to use the OM series lenses on a couple of their digital camera models. Of course, some of the whiz-bang features of the camera are disabled since the old lenses don't have any on-board electronics...which probably isn't a big deal if one plans to do things the old-fashioned way. My wife and I don't have a good camera now, and have been looking around. The reviews on the Olympus cameras seem mixed. If I spot a good bargain on ebay I might snag one and see how it goes.