Jobs.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm debating whether to accept the offer letter from a company. They'd give it to me in September but I'd have 30 days to accept. Or I can risk it until November and possibly not have an offer...

It'd be messed up to accept and renig on their offer wouldn't it?

Any thoughts? I don't think I'd have a problem finding a job (already have a couple other offers and interviews lined up) but this is a pretty good company.

The offer would be around 75k in the Seattle area.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My advisor once told me if you can make twice your age, you're doing something right.

Then again, my advisor also just ******* me out for not having a full time job yet when I still have a year to graduate. So who knows whats best.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
But if finances are important to you and you have a masters, teaching, coaching, and then finding a summer job, a teacher at the age of 50 could easily make 100k/year.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'm debating whether to accept the offer letter from a company. They'd give it to me in September but I'd have 30 days to accept. Or I can risk it until November and possibly not have an offer...

It'd be messed up to accept and renig on their offer wouldn't it?

Any thoughts? I don't think I'd have a problem finding a job (already have a couple other offers and interviews lined up) but this is a pretty good company.

The offer would be around 75k in the Seattle area.

I got a job offer and immediately accepted because I thought it was going to be my only offer.... until I got an offer the next day from the company I always wanted to work for. It was a little awkward backing out of the first offer, especially since the two companies are huge competitors.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I got a job offer and immediately accepted because I thought it was going to be my only offer.... until I got an offer the next day from the company I always wanted to work for. It was a little awkward backing out of the first offer, especially since the two companies are huge competitors.

How did that go down? Did you have any repercussions from it?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

I didn't know Chippendales had any competition

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
But if finances are important to you and you have a masters, teaching, coaching, and then finding a summer job, a teacher at the age of 50 could easily make 100k/year.

Would have to be one heck of a summer job to get you close to 100k. Most districts are going to top out around 60k or maybe a little more with a Master's, and for coaching you're looking at around 5k if you're a varsity coach and less obviously for an asst or MS coaching job. Not saying it's impossible but it would be a very rare situation for you to hit 100k as a teacher.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If it's a large industry and you think you have good prospects (which it seems you do), you can back out on the offer. If it's a tiny industry where people talk, it's more of a risk. But you have to do what's best for you first, not the company. I would say as long as you back out by the end of this year, it's not going to be that big of a deal to the company.

Seattle is not a cheap area so I'd look into what that salary would get you. Just to illustrate, let's say you were offered a $75k job in Ames. You'd have to be getting over $90k in Seattle to maintain the same standard of living.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
How did that go down? Did you have any repercussions from it?

Called the HR person and told them I had to back out and that I hoped they understood that it was a big decision for me. All they asked for was a reason, which is where it got a little awkward since I went to a competitor.

No immediate repercussions, but I assume it burned a bridge.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Called the HR person and told them I had to back out and that I hoped they understood that it was a big decision for me. All they asked for was a reason, which is where it got a little awkward since I went to a competitor.

No immediate repercussions, but I assume it burned a bridge.

I haven't had to do this, but a friend had to do this on an internship and I told her to just say her situation has changed and this job was no longer the best fit for her. Thank them for their consideration and move on.

I would assume they'd rather have you back out before starting vs. six months in after they've spent time training you.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Look out for number 1. If you get a better offer then do what's best for you.

I guarantee the company will do what's best for it....even if that means kicking you to the curb at a later date.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Look out for number 1. If you get a better offer then do what's best for you.

I guarantee the company will do what's best for it....even if that means kicking you to the curb at a later dste.

exactly. Be professional, but recognize they are likely not going to demonstrate loyalty to you if it's not in their best interests.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm making $300,000 from my home. I set my own hours and work only when I want. If you want this same opportunity visit www.makemoneyfastcom (oops I forgot the . before the com. Add that and it should work). You just need to enter some simple information and then you are ready to make a lot of money like me.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Would have to be one heck of a summer job to get you close to 100k. Most districts are going to top out around 60k or maybe a little more with a Master's, and for coaching you're looking at around 5k if you're a varsity coach and less obviously for an asst or MS coaching job. Not saying it's impossible but it would be a very rare situation for you to hit 100k as a teacher.

You're probably at a small school if your making just 5k as a head varsity coach. I was an assistant for an underclass team and made about 4k at a bigger school in Iowa.

Also, I had a whole sheet on what Webster City pays it's teachers. Eventually it tops out, but I remember seeing 66k on it. So you take the 66k, then the 8k I'd say a bigger school coach would make, take a 4k assistant coach, and you're just 20k short.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm making $300,000 from my home. I set my own hours and work only when I want. If you want this same opportunity visit www.makemoneyfastcom (oops I forgot the . before the com. Add that and it should work). You just need to enter some simple information and then you are ready to make a lot of money like me.

Not sure if this is spam or a joke so I don't want to click on it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron