Stamped Concrete vs Patio Blocks

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'm looking at ripping the small wooden landing off the back of my house and just putting a patio there instead of the small deck. Does anyone have any experience with the new fangled stamped concrete? Is it more expensive than patio block? Any pros... cons... Thanks guys!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i put blocks in my front yard because it's easier to remove and.or change if you want and you can add more easily if you want. stamped concrete is great for driveways that you aren't expanding

Feb 6, 2013
I would think the stamped concrete would be cheaper, since it's a faster process (i.e., less labor). I'm personally not a fan of it. They tend not to wear as nicely as stone or concrete pavers.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I would think the stamped concrete would be cheaper, since it's a faster process (i.e., less labor). I'm personally not a fan of it. They tend not to wear as nicely as stone or concrete pavers.

a huge factor is if the entire area is dyed or just the top of the pavement. we did a project at work and to save money just the top was dyed. then some chipped off and below was a different color and it looked terrible until it was fixed. If the entire area is dyed it wouldn't be as bad since if it chips you cant see the color differences. but still, blocks looks nicer IMO.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Concrete will crack over time. Blocks will move and shift over time. Any questions?

Just kidding. I think concrete will be more expensive but will probably look nicer longer. On the flip side you can do some really cool designs with blocks. Just go through the upscale nurseries/ landscape places to look for ideas.

Reactions: cyputz

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Stamped concrete is generally less expensive but the high end stuff can approach the price of pavers.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Concrete will crack over time. Blocks will move and shift over time. Any questions?

Just kidding. I think concrete will be more expensive but will probably look nicer longer. On the flip side you can do some really cool designs with blocks. Just go through the upscale nurseries/ landscape places to look for ideas.

Actually it's the exact opposite. Pavers and or blocks are more expensive but will look nicer for much longer. My dad still has his patio he did with original Des Moines street pavers that were torn up and salvaged. He put this in about 35 years ago and it still looks beautiful today. Granted there is maintenance here and there with frost heave, etc. hi nothing more than a couple of hours a year, if even that.

in that time he's repaved the driveway twice.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I am having a stamped patio poured in May. Stamped is definitely cheaper than pavers. Placing pavers takes a lot more prep work. I prefer the looked of the stamped concrete, but thats my opinion. This would will be my 2nd stamped patio. We loved our first. If you seal it every year it should look new every year. You definitely want the color mixed into the concrete and not just stained. I've seen prices from $12 sq ft to $16 or so. The company we went with was $15 sq ft. They are also building a sitting wall and fire pit right into the patio.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I am having a stamped patio poured in May. Stamped is definitely cheaper than pavers. Placing pavers takes a lot more prep work. I prefer the looked of the stamped concrete, but thats my opinion. This would will be my 2nd stamped patio. We loved our first. If you seal it every year it should look new every year. You definitely want the color mixed into the concrete and not just stained. I've seen prices from $12 sq ft to $16 or so. The company we went with was $15 sq ft. They are also building a sitting wall and fire pit right into the patio.

Are you in central IA? If so, can you tell us the company? I'm looking at doing stamped concrete for my back patio as well.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Actually it's the exact opposite. Pavers and or blocks are more expensive but will look nicer for much longer. My dad still has his patio he did with original Des Moines street pavers that were torn up and salvaged. He put this in about 35 years ago and it still looks beautiful today. Granted there is maintenance here and there with frost heave, etc. hi nothing more than a couple of hours a year, if even that.

in that time he's repaved the driveway twice.

I always wonder how snow removal would be with pavers? Obviously more of a "driveway" issue

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I've had both a really prefer the stamped/colored concrete. The blocks have a tendency to settle unevenly sometimes, and the paver sand gets tracked inside as well as allows weeds to grow between. The stamped concrete has been great, but we do put a sealant over it appx every 2nd or 3rd year which brings out the color and texture.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I put in a small patio right off our deck last week. It's probably about 8 feet x 6 feet with a firepit in the middle. The whole thing only cost about $250 and a day's work.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I'd do stamped concrete. Pavers will shift and move. Or just do concrete and stain it/seal it.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I always wonder how snow removal would be with pavers? Obviously more of a "driveway" issue

My parents house in Ames had their driveway redone with pavers. About 120 feet long. It's been 15 years or so and it still looks fine. The only issue is killing the few weeds that have worked their way in between. No shifting or heaving.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Thread Resurrection! I’m looking at both stamped concrete and pavers. I’d do the install on pavers. The stamped concrete I’d probably have somebody do it. I’m in Ankeny. If I do the concrete I’d like to have a smoothed section in the middle with an Iowa State logo in it. Any suggestions on that would be awesome.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Never been an issue for me. Driveways been in for years. View from window today and during snow storm stuff. Used single and two-stage snow blowers and shovels.

Edit: Just realized I am replying to a REALLY old thread. :oops:
Oh, well, screw it, I am bored and it is raining so..........

driveway may 2020.jpg snow removal.jpg

Reactions: Dopey and Macloney

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron