What ever happened to Ed?

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Curious about the former halftime host at MBB games. He would always walk out onto the court in the same outfit, with that old-school corded microphone and say "HEY EVERBODY!" and the entire crowd would respond "HEY ED!"

Remember that dude? IIRC he was still around when I was in school in the early 2000's and I know he had been around since I was a kid and Johnny was coaching. We should bring him back to Michigan game as well and let him on the mic (assuming he's still alive).

Last edited:

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
that was always a great halftime! If you shot 5 for 5, you could win a car from 'Benson Motors'! Crowd loved that halftime show!

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Ed Gagnier was at one time the gymnastics coach at ISU. He used to be out next door neighbor when I was growing up. I'm sure he's retired.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Wow, I was really young and vaguely remember that. What did he actually do during halftime? I remember a mini remote controlled blimp flying around too. What was all that?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Ed was an Olympic gymnast from Canada. His teams at ISU were very, very good....especially in the 70's when they won 3 NCAA championships. They were dominant then. This was men's gymnastics.....not women's.

Back in the 70's, his gymnasts used to do a sort of comedy routine at halftime of at least one men's basketball game each year. It involved exercises on all of the gym equipment, but done from a comedy standpoint. Back then, it was probably the most popular half-time show each year.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If it's anything like the shoot for car promotion now, they choose the most nonathletic looking folks to shoot.

68clone

Apr 21, 2006
I remember his half time routine at basketball games, and his gymnastic program. He was a hoot. But I also recall him being quite involved in the promotion of the new football stadium, now known as Jack Trice Stadium.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
If it's anything like the shoot for car promotion now, they choose the most nonathletic looking folks to shoot.

I went 4 for 5 two years ago at Royce's first Big 12 game against Texas so I take offense to that:spinny: When Royce was clunking free throws at the end everyone in my section said I should go down and shoot for him. Good thing we had a double digit lead.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron