Photo businesses

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Doe anyone know of any local photographers in different regions of the state that shoot high school sports? For those of you who don't know, I work at Sports Spotlight magazine in Des Moines now, and we have to rely a lot on contributed photos once we get out of the central metro area. We currently have a contributor in the Cedar Falls area, but we really lack in the Quad Cities, Council Bluffs, and Sioux City areas.

If any of you know photographers who might be willing to contribute, please PM me.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What about the Mason City area?
I am a part time sports photographer and take mostly high school football and wrestling.

We're absolutely open to contributions from anywhere. The three areas I listed are just the biggest ones we're needing to develop a stronger foothold in. For football, some of the state's very best programs in several classes are in those areas (St. Albert CB, Harlan, Bishop Heelan and Bettendorf).

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What about Dubuque? Or is there not much interest in the Dubuque area in Des Moines?

Where did I saw we don't care about Dubuque? We very rarely pay for photo reprints, which is something that bigger papers will sometimes require you to do (the Omaha World-Herald charges like $50 for use of each photo). We're a small-budget operation and can't afford that. So for the bigger metro areas, if we're able to find a photographer in the area who is willing to share their stuff, that's preferable.

We work with schools and local papers plenty. Just because I didn't specifically list a city doesn't mean we aren't looking to cover it. But Davenport and Sioux City are the 3rd and 4th largest cities in Iowa; Council Bluffs is the 7th biggest. When we're trying to cover the entire state, not having a foothold in two of the four biggest cities in the state (or their surrounding areas) is a pretty big weakness.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Where did I saw we don't care about Dubuque? We very rarely pay for photo reprints, which is something that bigger papers will sometimes require you to do (the Omaha World-Herald charges like $50 for use of each photo). We're a small-budget operation and can't afford that. So for the bigger metro areas, if we're able to find a photographer in the area who is willing to share their stuff, that's preferable.

We work with schools and local papers plenty. Just because I didn't specifically list a city doesn't mean we aren't looking to cover it. But Davenport and Sioux City are the 3rd and 4th largest cities in Iowa; Council Bluffs is the 7th biggest. When we're trying to cover the entire state, not having a foothold in two of the four biggest cities in the state (or their surrounding areas) is a pretty big weakness.

Easy boy! I'm not taking any offense! You just hadn't mentioned it by name. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron