MESS named OC

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Hmmm. Underwhelmed. JP commits new $ for staff, and we promote from within?

Good improvement on the offense (and kicking game) is the next step this program must take. Would have preferred to see a proven OC come in with some good ideas.

CPR said from day 1 that he was going to look for someone to adapt to the team rather than having the team try to adapt to somebody else. Ideas are only useful with the personnel to execute them.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
This is all I need to know that he's the right hire...

"I am excited about Courtney taking over the reins of the offense," Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads said. "Courtney has coached at every level of college football and has head coach and coordinator experience. He has earned this opportunity through hard work and positive results as a coach and as a recruiter. We have the right man."

I trust CPR.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I really hope CPR knows what he is doing. The brains of the guy that coaches the worst area on offense for the last how many years now controls the whole offense. Best of luck to him, but I raise an eyebrow at this call.

Reactions: GoClones123

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I really hope CPR knows what he is doing. The brains of the guy that coaches the worst area on offense for the last how many years now controls the whole offense. Best of luck to him, but I raise an eyebrow at this call.

He only coached the WR's this past year, one where they were much better than the year before. He coached the TE's the year before that; with Franklin being one of the best players on the field.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

This is the first year Messingham has coached the receivers. He's was the tight end's coach before this season.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Not the sexiest hire...but that doesn't mean it won't be effective!

What would have been?

Someone that wants to devote the time, go to Ohio State boards and post all the "Tom Herman is a sexy hire" threads.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
He only coached the WR's this past year, one where they were much better than the year before. He coached the TE's the year before that; with Franklin being one of the best players on the field.

Fair point. The WR's did have a better year this year than the last 3 so maybe he is a diamond in the ruff.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Gotta admit, I didn't jump for joy either. But CPR must see something in Mess I don't. At least he has OC experience. Time will tell...

I am a little concerned about finding a special teams coach though. Mess seems to have shored that area up nicely. (With exception of the oft-troubled field goal kicking unit)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Wasn't he the WR coach only 1 year? (maybe 2) But if you look at the younger guys they have a lot of upside.

Also, he has been the head special teams coach who implemented alot of the "innovative fakes and surprise kicks" so I am anxious to see what tweeks he makes to the offense.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Consistentcy type hire. ISU is getting the type of players it wants to run its style of offense. This helps to maintain that approach. We lost good position coaches in the past because we hired from outside for the OC and DC positions. This also shows promotion is possible.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
They moved him to Wide Recievers this year because he did so well with the TE's and Special Teams. So you can't count his wide receiver success with only one year of coaching them.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I like the hire. Coach Mess is a Coach, and has proven it with the Tight Ends and the improved performance of the WR's this year, especially the young guys. We need someone that is a teacher first and system guy second. Mess I am sure has some great ideas on how to improve the offense. Hopefully, he is hands on like CPR and is on the sidelines during games.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Yeah, he's a noob at this deal, doesn't have a clue.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
This is all I need to know that he's the right hire...

"I am excited about Courtney taking over the reins of the offense," Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads said. "Courtney has coached at every level of college football and has head coach and coordinator experience. He has earned this opportunity through hard work and positive results as a coach and as a recruiter. We have the right man."

I trust CPR.

I agree. I think it's a good hire.

We know the terminology and system will stay the same which is better for the players.

The one thing people need to remember is just because the system stays the same doesn't mean the play calling will. For all we know Mess could be 10 times as aggressive as Herman was with his play calls. Just because the offensive terminology and sets will be the same doesn't mean it will be the same results as under Herman.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Someone mentioned this wasn't a sexy hire, but I'm fine with that. I trust Rhoads.

We have a larger pool of money but you also don't want to constantly make outside hires. If you don't promote from within from time to time then what is the incentive for coaches to stick around?