Ashley Okland Murder

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Update in this morning's Des Moines Register. Actually, not really an update ... more of the same old same old -- 'Not a cold case' ... 'Haven't identified a motive' ... 'still working on the case.'

Shocks me. Good looking realtor with tons of friends and connections, shot in the middle of the day, in a town home development where people were home at the time, in busy West Des Moines ... yet still nothing.

My guess is this case will never be solved.

Okland's friends still asking, 'Why Ashley?' | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I don't think it'll ever be solved either. If they haven't gotten a good solid lead and solved it by now, its not going to happen. At this point, the only chance at solving it is for the guilty party to say something stupid to the wrong person.....but again, if it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Yeah if nothing has happened yet the person responsible has been smart enough to let anything slip.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah if nothing has happened yet the person responsible has been smart enough to let anything slip.

Yeah I'm thinking the guilty party had it well planned out and covered their tracks well. People need to realize this isn't like CSI where you can solve murders in a one hour TV show

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah I'm thinking the guilty party had it well planned out and covered their tracks well. People need to realize this isn't like CSI where you can solve murders in a one hour TV show

Exactly....and they don't have satellite video that they can zoom in on the perpetrator's license plate, either. This case will be a true cold case very soon, its just too early for the police department to come right out and say it at this point.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I thought they found another realtor who committed suicide on a country road somewhere?? I just assumed he did it. Dead people tell no tales.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I was a Realtor for 17 years and the first thing I thought was distraut home owerer that she told she wouldn't be able to help. Now I don't see how that person could keep it quiet this long. If it was someone she knew, someone would of come forward with a name she had issues with. Basically leaves a randum person that saw her picture on line and wanted her.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Looks more and more like a professional hit. Shot in the head and heart from what I heard. Perhaps a woman - would look less out of place than a man?? So sad. Hope they catch whomever wanted this done.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
shot in the middle of the day, in a town home development where people were home at the time, in busy West Des Moines ... yet still nothing.

I live in this area, in the townhomes by the same builder, just on the other side of EP true. I can see the place where she got shot in from my window, so i'm very close. Close enough that i'm almost surprised i didnt hear the gunshot.

I work from home, so i see the neighborhood during the day. Its pretty empty. Not a whole lot of people around here, not many stay at home parents, etc. Its at the very end of EP true, so there's not a whole lot of traffic. If you were looking for a vulnerable realtor, this is the perfect location to commit a crime. It doesnt surprise me at all that nobody saw or heard anything, so it doesnt surprise me that they havent made much progress in this one.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Looks more and more like a professional hit. Shot in the head and heart from what I heard.

The story said she was shot twice, but died later at the hospital. I'm going to guess if it was a hit (which sounds extremely unlikely anyways), she wouldntve made it to the hospital.

• Dumb

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
The story said she was shot twice, but died later at the hospital. I'm going to guess if it was a hit (which sounds extremely unlikely anyways), she wouldntve made it to the hospital.

It may not have been a hit but I do know she was shot in the head and in the heart. Both locations would support a theory of a professional hit...she wasn't surviving both of those wounds. She was basically on life support until they got her to the hospital when the doctors said they couldn't do anything for her. I know one of the first responders...he said she was basically gone when they got there.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
A professional hit makes sure you're dead before even leaving. People tend to get pissy when they pay you to kill someone and you don't get the job done.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A professional hit makes sure you're dead before even leaving. People tend to get pissy when they pay you to kill someone and you don't get the job done.

My thoughts exactly.

Though shots in the head and heart definitely point towards whoever it was being there with the intent to kill, not like a botched robbery\rape.

• Dumb

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Just a bizarre case, who would have a motive to kill her or have her killed?

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
The person responsible will eventually end up telling someone or even multiple people. It may be many years from now but it will happen. Someone that finds out will either be good enough of a person to report it or will hold on to the info and use it as a "get out of jail free" card for when they get caught doing something stupid.

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
Update in this morning's Des Moines Register. Actually, not really an update ... more of the same old same old -- 'Not a cold case' ... 'Haven't identified a motive' ... 'still working on the case.'

Shocks me. Good looking realtor with tons of friends and connections, shot in the middle of the day, in a town home development where people were home at the time, in busy West Des Moines ... yet still nothing.

My guess is this case will never be solved.

Okland's friends still asking, 'Why Ashley?' | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

someone was home? wow, how do they not have solid leads?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I thought they found another realtor who committed suicide on a country road somewhere?? I just assumed he did it. Dead people tell no tales.

Yeah, I think this was the guy that had been seen there many times leading up to the murder. Then he goes and kills himself...

I live in the same development as alarson. There are people in and out of it through out the day, but doubt anyone pays attention to what happens across EP True.

I've noticed they moved their show unit to the north end of the development and the one where the murder took place is the highest price unit for sale over there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron