ACT

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I have taken the ACT 2 times. Both times i got a 23. I am a junior. I was hoping to get a 25. My reading and english scores both went down 2 points. My only good score was math. I got a 28. I was hoping to be done with it, but i want to do better then 23.

Should I take it again?

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
i got a 25 on my first try and im a junior and im never going back again

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have taken the ACT 2 times. Both times i got a 23. I am a junior. I was hoping to get a 25. My reading and english scores both went down 2 points. My only good score was math. I got a 28. I was hoping to be done with it, but i want to do better then 23.

Should I take it again?

If your grades are good and you got a 23 you should be ok for ISU. Anyone else have insight on this?

There used to be something like if you got a 24 or higher or were in the top 25% of your class you were good for admission. That was in the early 1990s though.

Do you need a higher score for scholarships? or are you just concerned about getting in? Also, do you know what major you want to do?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Apply to Iowa State now and see if you get in...if not, re-take it this fall, if in, don't. I think the new admissions crap is a joke, but I'd guess that's enough.
I'm about 99% sure i would get in. I have a 3.9 GPA. I was mainly thinking about scholarships.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I took it twice and improved by 3 points the second time. I also thought the test was way easier the second time. Aren't there like 15 versions? So you might give it a whirl again.

That said, it sucked and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to take it again.

What major are you trying for? If you're not close to scholarship $ or something like that I'd just apply. I got a 28 and it turned out to be worth pretty much nothing - the 25 would have gotten me in just fine anyway and 28 isn't all that impressive in engineering.

I had friends that that ****** test scores that just took a summer class the first summer and if they got a C or higher they were in. If you can't get a C or higher in an entry pysch class you probably shouldn't be there anyway.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There used to be something like if you got a 24 or higher or were in the top 25% of your class you were good for admission. That was in the early 1990s though.

Do you need a higher score for scholarships? or are you just concerned about getting in? Also, do you know what major you want to do?

To the first part: The new admissions formula is wayyyyy f'd up. I was in the top half of my class and got in automatically that way.

Normally. Scholarships depending strongly on academics don't normally start until about 30 however.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
If your grades are good and you got a 23 you should be ok for ISU. Anyone else have insight on this?

Computer Engineering

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
also, talk to your intended department. some departments allow you to skip some requirements depending on your ACT score in certain areas. Also IIRC you might get to skip English 104 or 150 its called now, if you have an ACT-E of 24 i believe.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
To the first part: The new admissions formula is wayyyyy f'd up. I was in the top half of my class and got in automatically that way.

Normally. Scholarships depending strongly on academics don't normally start until about 30 however.

I'll have to check the new admissions formula out. Is it a lot easier? That stinks.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll have to check the new admissions formula out. Is it a lot easier? That stinks.

I don't know if it's easier or harder, there's just a LOT more complicated formula. Lemme see if I can find it before I head to class.

P.S. Classes should be canceled today and Veenker should be free for golfing to all students.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
also, talk to your intended department. some departments allow you to skip some requirements depending on your ACT score in certain areas. Also IIRC you might get to skip English 104 or 150 its called now, if you have an ACT-E of 24 i believe.
My brother got to skip out on english. I don't know if it was because of his ACT score or because our school offers a college level english class, which he took.

l2alphmacchio

Jul 10, 2006
West Des Moines
Visit site
If its up to scholarships, I would take it again. I got a 29 and received very few scholarships. In my opinion it all comes down to your parents tax brackets (even if they aren't paying for your schooling) and your gender and race. I received very few scholarships and was very active and had a high GPA in high school, but I fall into the 'middle class white male' category therefore getting overlooked on just about every scholarship I applied for. This is just my 2 cents, and by no means by stating this am I saying this is what happens. But, if I were you, I would take it again if scholarships is what you're seeking.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
If your GPA is that good, 23 will get you into Iowa State with ease. I wouldn't sweat it. If you want to put your mind to ease, retake the ACT but I don't see any reason to.