Where should I move?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It’s like people who drive a car, like say a Honda Civic and they put a sticker across the top of the windshield that says Civic or Honda. Used to see that all the time and thought it was redundant and dumb
Or it could be the stereo brand they had. Knew a loser who said he liked those. Told him what type of stereo he was getting when he broke into the car.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I moved from North Dakota, to Iowa, to north Texas (25 years ago). I'm still alive. What exactly is this "culture shock" in Texas that is going to kill northerners?

I was talking specifically about the people I know from the Twin Cities, like my post said.

To answer your "question" though, they are people that I would consider very urban and progressive. I know that there are places in Texas that could be described this way and it sounds like you have been happy there for a long time, so that is good.

Personally, the only place I haven't been in Texas is very west Texas and I it wouldn't bother me if I never went back to the state. My wife has been there more than I have and feels stronger about never going back than I do. People like different stuff, it's okay.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Minneapolis as the upcoming winter is killing our spirits. The brutal cold essentially stops us from doing what we enjoy to do 5-6 months of the year and we can’t take it anymore. Our top three so far are Nashville, KC and Charlotte, but we are open to any and all suggestions.

-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Let’s hear some suggestions!

I live in nashville

pros:

Tons of breweries. Nashville has 25+ breweries

Country music if you like country music. I think its mostly ****, but some people like that sort of thing. I do enjoy classic country. Roberts western world is really cool, its the type of place you picture nashville to be. Country western songs with old people dancing. unfortunately most places blast bro country in your face, enticing woo-girls and bro-dudes to flock to nashville to live their best douche lives.

no state income tax

Lots of waterfalls and cool hiking spots in the state. TN is underrated in that respect. Plus its right next to percy priest lake and the cumberland river if you like boating. Center hill lake (an hours drive) is georgeous. The caney fork, piney, and buffalo rivers are good for canoeing and kayaking.

Still booming despite pandemic. Construction doesn't seem to have slowed down a bit despite the economy and covid

lots of free music options. on broadway, no bars charge a cover and its live music all day every day (pre-covid). you are expected to tip the bands though.

location. its a destination for tons of people. your friends will want to visit you and it is close enough to drive to the east coast, south coast, chicago, New Orleans etc.

Cons:
country music sucks and the music scene is largely based on it. You can go see other music of course but the bulk of the big music events will be country.

3 pro teams if you like sportsball. nfl, nhl, and soccer. Plus vandy for college, but they are dreadful most years.

housing is pretty ridiculous. I bought here in 2015 for 232k. Every house that has sold around me has gone for well over 300K.

pretty much the entire city has been gentrified (i realize i am part of that problem). It feels like the city has lost its soul and very few authentic original places exist anymore, beyond broadway anyways. The city feels generally fake and generic. It doesn't feel genuine to me like a city like memphis does. The old holes in the wall types of establishments have been scraped and rebuilt for fancy rich white people.

basically no puplic transit. buses only and they don't run often enough. its pretty much uber/lyft or drive yourself.

it is a segmented city where it seems whatever neighborhood you settle down in you don't leave. people stay in their pockets. probably due in large part to the underwhelming public transit.

property taxes going up 34% this year

traffic is horrible. literally gets worse every day and the government doesn't seem to be even considering anything to ever improve it. but if you are working from home it wont matter.

theres nashville from one former iowan's perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocy444

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
The only thing that I've always thought was a little weird about Texas/Texans in general is their love obsession with letting everyone know their from Texas. One of the woman that I went to high school with actually works in a shop that sells nothing but Texas memorabilia. If you're driving around in a truck with Texas license plates, I'm going to assume you're from Texas? Can you imagine seeing this in any other state and not saying WTF

1200x0.jpg

With that said, it wouldn't stop me from living there.

After moving to eastern Iowa, I think people from Wisconsin are similar.

L

LincolnWay187

After moving to eastern Iowa, I think people from Wisconsin are similar.
NY and Californians are more than happy to tell you where they are from at the drop of a hat too. Its funny, NY, CA, TX all like to brag about where they are from...yet they make up a huge percentage of the total U.S. population lol.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Iowans can't leave the state without having a suitcase full if shirts that say "Iowa" across the front too

You're thinking of Hawk fans. Always have to have their black and gold, no matter the place or event.

Cyclone away game? Hawk gear.

Completely random college/pro game? Hawk gear.

Summer symphony in the park? Hawk gear.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
NY and Californians are more than happy to tell you where they are from at the drop of a hat too. Its funny, NY, CA, TX all like to brag about where they are from...yet they make up a huge percentage of the total U.S. population lol.

Californians just don't tell you they're natives, they have to include what generation they are.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
From my experience a few years back, very few of them are very good. Bearded Iris was ok.

Although I could drink Bushwackers and eat hot chicken until I die.
yes, there are a lot of them that suck. I like bearded iris a lot as well as smith and lentz. those two are definitely the go-to's, especially for IPA's