New Flooring Recommendations

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I had this installed when I did an office remodel last year. I wish I could replace my tile with it

LTV-CORETEC PLUS PLANK 5 RED RIVER HICKORY

I had the flooring guys do this.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Are their trees out there that could grow into the line again?

From what I know, I would agree with what pride said. I wouldn’t use carpet. I grew up in a house with carpet in a basement with water issues.

I like the Coretec LVP I installed this summer but there some little uneven spots I should have addressed a little more and didn’t. Installation isn’t that hard if you had a buddy who’s done it before to get you started.
Did you use 5 mm or something thicker? Getting it flat enough is pretty tough, but I've found that the 8 mm stuff spans some of the slight issues better.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Bumping this, we had a sewer back up in my finished walkout basement and are now in the market for new flooring for the basement. We currently have stainmaster carpet pad with a a little shaggy carpet on top. The owners before us had a cat and we have a cat so I am thinking of changing to LVP or some other flooring for the basement. Insurance going to cover the cost of the whole basement when only about 1/3 of it was under water. What do people like for the basement?

Also looking for any contractor recommendations in West Des Moines who could do some drywall/trim and door work along with the flooring so compare against the insurance companies contractors.

If you have any issues with cat smell, seal the concrete with an odor blocker before putting the floor down. Both Kilz and Zinsser make an odor blocking sealant that just rolls on with a paint roller. It worked wonders on our basement following the previous owners and their cat.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Are their trees out there that could grow into the line again?

From what I know, I would agree with what pride said. I wouldn’t use carpet. I grew up in a house with carpet in a basement with water issues.

I like the Coretec LVP I installed this summer but there some little uneven spots I should have addressed a little more and didn’t. Installation isn’t that hard if you had a buddy who’s done it before to get you started.

It wasn't a tree, just scale buildup from West Des Moines water and I guess some flushable wipes is what I was told. We don't own any flushable wipes or haven't for the year and 3 months we have owned this house. We had a dead tree stump in the front yard but nothing active that should get into it.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
If you have any issues with cat smell, seal the concrete with an odor blocker before putting the floor down. Both Kilz and Zinsser make an odor blocking sealant that just rolls on with a paint roller. It worked wonders on our basement following the previous owners and their cat.

That is the plan before the new flooring is put on.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Did you use 5 mm or something thicker? Getting it flat enough is pretty tough, but I've found that the 8 mm stuff spans some of the slight issues better.
I would have to look. It felt thinner than I expected when I got it out of the boxes.

Also, regardless if you install it yourself or not, I would get one of those suction things to put on planks to hit with a hammer to tighten the joints back up. I’ve used it a couple times already in some spots where it settled and slightly come apart. Not a big deal and no one would maybe notice but I do and it bugs me.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It wasn't a tree, just scale buildup from West Des Moines water and I guess some flushable wipes is what I was told. We don't own any flushable wipes or haven't for the year and 3 months we have owned this house. We had a dead tree stump in the front yard but nothing active that should get into it.
Baby wipes man. They will mess up your sh*t. Literally.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone use Pergo Outlast flooring? I'm looking for a waterproof laminate since the kids and dogs have demolished the carpet on our main level. I think we need the scratch resistance of a laminate because I'm not paying top dollar for an LVP. We've got 3 kids, two dogs and my wife watches our two nephews a couple days a week, so it sees a lot of traffic.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone use Pergo Outlast flooring? I'm looking for a waterproof laminate since the kids and dogs have demolished the carpet on our main level. I think we need the scratch resistance of a laminate because I'm not paying top dollar for an LVP. We've got 3 kids, two dogs and my wife watches our two nephews a couple days a week, so it sees a lot of traffic.
How much square foot? I found LVP that wasn't cheap but was reasonable and I am a pretty cheap dude. I had to go to about 5 different places and drove a half hour to another town to a mom and pop type place that was strongly recommended to me in order to get it but it was worth it. There's such a wide range of LVP which I am guessing you already know. Like 8 billion combos.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
How much square foot? I found LVP that wasn't cheap but was reasonable and I am a pretty cheap dude. I had to go to about 5 different places and drove a half hour to another town to a mom and pop type place that was strongly recommended to me in order to get it but it was worth it. There's such a wide range of LVP which I am guessing you already know. Like 8 billion combos.

About 600 sq ft if you ask me and about 1000 if you ask my wife. I'm hoping to keep the tile look stuff we have in the kitchen/dining area and only do the hall and the two living rooms. If she wins out, even an extra dollar per square foot is another grand to the total. We don't have an extra 5 grand to sink into flooring that's probably going to get messed up no matter how much we spend. The waterproof Pergo stuff is around 2.70 per sq ft.

I hear you on the different types. It looks like the laminate seems to hold up better in that 2.5-3 dollar range from what I'm seeing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron