ADT Salesman or Scam?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone had ADT salesmen stop by their house recently? We just closed on our house in Adel a couple weeks ago. Two guys stopped by today claiming to sell ADT. They had badges and an ADT binder. I shooed them away without sharing any personal info. However, I failed to get a copy of their badges or business cards

I’m wondering if they were legit or if they might be scoping our place out for a hit.
Anyone have this happen before? I’m going to call local dealers tomorrow and see if I can confirm they have salesmen going door to door in our area.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ive seen this come up a few times. Sometimes they claim they got your info from your realtor. Theyre probably just grabbing sales records and going to recently sold homes.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Contact the police station or city hall to see if ADT was going door to door. A couple summers ago people were posting all over Facebook that two guys with backpacks were casing houses to break in. Sheriff's Dept finally made a post that Dish Network had people in the area going door to door.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The pest control company sales guys ride their segways all over the neighborhoods around here. They roll right up to your front steps.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
MetroNet is going door to door in Ames in areas a few days after they lay the cables.

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
I am a Realtor and I can confirm ADT gets the information from new closings. They are telling people that their agents are giving their names out which is a complete lie. They also tell you that you will get a discount because of your Realtor which is another lie. Pretty shady but nothing we can do about it since all that information is public knowledge.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Just wait until the spring/summer..

Bug guys, roof contractors, power wash guys, boy scouts, football players selling those coupon cards..

I've considered unplugging my door bell from May to July.