[Plumbing Question] Low Hot Water Pressure.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hey guys,
Need some help. Just bought a house that is over 100 years old and there is one problem: the hot water pressure is low.

Some other important information:
  • Cold water pressure is normal
  • Galvanized piping in the house
  • New water heater
  • There’s “jerry rigged” piping right in before or after the hot water heater.
What would guy recommend I try to get the water pressure back to normal?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Did you check all the valves to make sure they are turned on?

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Hey guys,
Need some help. Just bought a house that is over 100 years old and there is one problem: the hot water pressure is low.

Some other important information:
  • Cold water pressure is normal
  • Galvanized piping in the house
  • New water heater
  • There’s “jerry rigged” piping right in before or after the hot water heater.
What would guy recommend I try to get the water pressure back to normal?

If it’s low everywhere in the house, I think that last bullet point is the likely culprit.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Galvanized piping is notorious for clogging up. If possible to replace with pex, I would consider it if I were you.
My mind went here as well. If there was sediment buildup in the water heater(s) that made its way out to the pipes then that can get caught in old pipes. Over time your 1/2" pipe's flow can get restricted way way down. Sounds like, if every single hot tap is as slow as the others, the problem is near the water heater (or throughout the whole hot delivery system).
That sediment could be caused by or exacerbated by hard water in the cold source.

If you're looking for the best guess at the least cost to fix it - replace the line from the hot water heater to the closest tap. Sounds like the problem is there. Repeat again for other fixtures with remaining flow problems.

While the work is being done purge the hot water heater. Usually a good idea to do when moving into a new place because who knows what the previous dwellers did. Up next would be assessing if the water heater needs replacing and if a water softener system is needed replaced or added.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone4L

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It is low everywhere. I think we may replace that first

Depending on how recently it was installed, I’d nag the plumber to come fix it. Otherwise check your home warranty language to see if it might be covered. And if you just bought a 100-year-old house and didn’t get a 1-year warranty, it’s usually money well spent.
But, agree with @SCNCY , check to make sure both valves are completely open before spending any money. And depending on how old the valves look, make sure someone is standing next to the whole house shutoff, too.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
My mind went here as well. If there was sediment buildup in the water heater(s) that made its way out to the pipes then that can get caught in old pipes. Over time your 1/2" pipe's flow can get restricted way way down. Sounds like, if every single hot tap is as slow as the others, the problem is near the water heater (or throughout the whole hot delivery system).
That sediment could be caused by or exacerbated by hard water in the cold source.

If you're looking for the best guess at the least cost to fix it - replace the line from the hot water heater to the closest tap. Sounds like the problem is there. Repeat again for other fixtures with remaining flow problems.

While the work is being done purge the hot water heater. Usually a good idea to do when moving into a new place because who knows what the previous dwellers did. Up next would be assessing if the water heater needs replacing and if a water softener system is needed replaced or added.
This will be a big help over the next few weeks

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I will need to do this. However, the cold water is normal pressure

True, but there should be valves going into the hot water heater and I think leaving as well. If those valves are not all the way open, There may not be any water in the tank, or the valve is closed for water leaving the water heater tank. There may be other valves installed around the house as well for what ever reason.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone4L and Pat

engineer_doug

Sep 12, 2016
True, but there should be valves going into the hot water heater and I think leaving as well. If those valves are not all the way open, There may not be any water in the tank, or the valve is closed for water leaving the water heater tank. There may be other valves installed around the house as well for what ever reason.
This is the aforementioned cold water valve just before it goes into my water heater, perhaps check this to see if it's fully on.

And yes, the valve is fully on in this picture. The installer put it a little too close to the flue.

PXL_20220523_005436462.jpg

• Winner

engineer_doug

Sep 12, 2016
How will checking to see if the valve is on in your house help his water pressure??
I probably should have replied to post 12 and not 13.

OP stated the cold water pressure was fine, but cold water pressure to any faucets should not be affected if the water heater supply valve is not fully turned on.

Reactions: cyclone4L and SCNCY

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Brand new water heater? They come with heat trap check valves that you put on the cold water and hot water connections to the water heater. I believe certain types if you install them backwards will restrict flow through the water heater. It’s the silver nipple type fitting, between you’re copper piping and the water heater.

If you had a good plumber install the water heater, they should know this and it’s likely not the case but it’s the first thing that came to my mind.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
snnvpail47911.png

Really all I can contribute.

Reactions: VeloClone