*** OFFICIAL TexAss Prediction Thread ***

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
What a dumb thing to say. Just what Texas needs is motivation for this game. And it’s coming from someone who will likely get burnt all game long.
So you don't think the playoff is motivation enough for Texas?

Few things are more overrated in sports than bulletin board material.

• Agree
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I don't think that's 'terrible feeling' territory, just reality.

Was ISU that much better last week or was BYU just that bad? Does Texas use the comeback from TCU as motivation to keep the foot on the gas?

Can ISU come out sharp and dictate a few things against a better opponent?

I'm excited for the game which is fun but things need to go very, very well for ISU to have a chance late.
Maybe my terrible feeling is that i think we could get boat raced

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Texas will want to limit our offensive plays. we will need to play our TE's and get the ball out to our RB'S in space. defensively we need to pressure on Ewers and make him make bad decisions. I have no problems with trick plays against them. If Texas gets behind, there is a psychological edge for us. they thrive when they are in control, disrupt this and they play out of control and are beatable.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Ewers can turn the ball over, and we've been hawkish this year. I want at least one hateful 8 team to give them a kick in the ass on their way out, and it's going to be us. That said, please keep the playbook open! It will be next to impossible to establish the run with conservative play calls against these guys.

Ugly first half, but 'Clones comeback to win 27-24. Be nice if it was a walk-off FG like in 2019. Maybe I'm delusional, but I have a good feeling.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Thoughts:
  • The most similar/relevant matchup would be ISU at OU earlier this season.
  • That said, this game is at home and the OU crowd was definitely worth some points in that game
  • Will Texas come out as fired up as OU did? I doubt it mostly because OU was hair-on-fire hyped up
  • ISU has continued to improve in all areas as the season has gone on
  • Despite that talent wise, this isn't a close game on paper

What I think will happen:

When Texas has the ball:
Texas will move the ball both deliberately and with big plays. Ewers will have either plenty of time to throw or will have guys 1v1 making plays when we blitz hard. I still think we are able to get at least 1 takeaway. When/how that happens matters a lot. Every 3rd down will be absolutely huge. I hope to see some interesting blitzes from our defense. The front 7 are going to have to play their best game. Players to watch would be Dom Orange, Malik Verdon, Zach Lovett.

When Iowa State has the ball:
Iowa State will be able to move the ball, but not as consistently. I don't think Texas pass rush gets to Rocco nearly as much as OU's did. A lot will be up to Rocco playing his best game. The run game just won't be there most of the night. It'll only open up if we're either torching them through the air or of ISU is playing from behind. This will be a empty-the-playbook type of game, we'll see at least 2 gadget plays (Easton Dean pass?). I hope to see screen passes, pitch running plays, etc. Players to watch would be Jarrod Hufford & Jim Bonifis vs. Sweat, Jayden Higgins, and the TE group.

I can't really give a score prediction... could be 41-21 Texas or 27-20 Iowa State.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Between Texas, Colorado, and Michigan, you could have a full season of a Mexican television soap opera.

With that said... I've said it for 2 years now in countless threads... Sark is changing the culture there one class at a time and getting the right kids to buy in. They aren't "back" because I don't think they were recently consistent enough to be back to anything. They're capable of beating any team by 20 pts. But they still have some gaps and some egos so can also lose by 20 to anybody.

As odd as it sounds, this is going to be the first game where ISU can actually show how much they've grown and how much talent there is. We played like **** early in the year, hit a few really bad teams and took care of business, and haven't played a top tier team since OU. To me, this game will tell us more about next year than all the prior games combined.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If the turnover battle is even:
Texas 28
ISU 20

Clones get a turnover or 2... hold on to your butts!

Mar 21, 2021
The oddsmakers have it basically UT 27, ISU 19.5.

I think we'll bust a few big plays. Maybe Brahmer, Sama, Cooper. ISU 27, UT 24.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Between Texas, Colorado, and Michigan, you could have a full season of a Mexican television soap opera.

With that said... I've said it for 2 years now in countless threads... Sark is changing the culture there one class at a time and getting the right kids to buy in. They aren't "back" because I don't think they were recently consistent enough to be back to anything. They're capable of beating any team by 20 pts. But they still have some gaps and some egos so can also lose by 20 to anybody.

As odd as it sounds, this is going to be the first game where ISU can actually show how much they've grown and how much talent there is. We played like **** early in the year, hit a few really bad teams and took care of business, and haven't played a top tier team since OU. To me, this game will tell us more about next year than all the prior games combined.
So hopefully you have us winning by 20? That's my pick for you. That'd be NICE!

Reactions: Jer

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He's Josh Allen of college football. He either looks like a #1 overall pick or an undrafted practice squad player. There's no inbetween.
He loves to float the ball downfield. We really need Cooper back, who has shown he can close quickly and make a play on the ball.

Reactions: Jer and 1UNI2ISU

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I think Rocco is going to add another page to his book. Either his youth will get exposed and people will see just how much he needs to overcome, or he will make another bunch of believers out of some more folks. So goes Rocco, so goes this game. Never say never.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu