Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I am far from thrilled about UConn football in the Big 12 but I’ll trust Yormark.

If we add UConn you can bet everything you own that he’ll immediately schedule Kansas to play them in hoops in NYC.

Reactions: CascadeClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If the Big 12 adds UConn football to the conference, then the Big 12 is not a serious conference.

Agree. Add them for basketball only..... or don't do it at all.

The conference is already watered down in football losing Texas and OU.... and adding bad Colorado and UConn football teams only make it worse.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: TheHelgo and Acylum

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I’m very curious what the plan is here if the next news is “Colorado and UConn are accepting Big 12 invites.”

That puts us at 14 schools and puts the Pac down to 9. It also puts the BEast at 10, none with footbal.

The Pac would be shaky for sure, but not really that much shakier than it already is. Still, I think we could pluck two more. Is the idea we’d get two of Utah, Arizona, ASU and leave the third to rot in the Mtn West? Are we sure UConn is worth more than each of those three?

There is still a possibility in this scenario that the BEast just sticks together at 10, the Pac adds San Diego State, SMU, and maybe UNLV or Colorado State or whatever and does unequal revenue sharing, at least until someone grabs Oregon or Washington. So if the grand plan is to do this to crack them wide open, it might not work.

I’d much prefer just getting Colorado if the idea is leveraging the Pac. Then we keep pressing to get either 1 or 3 more from there.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Agree. Add them for basketball only..... or don't do it at all.

The conference is already watered down in football losing Texas and OU.... and adding bad Colorado and UConn football teams only make it worse.
But adding Arizona and their woeful football team would be OK?

Reactions: WhoISthis

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If we want to go east.... then add Pitt or VTech, or both. I wish we never went east though with WV and now Cincy and UCF... dumb IMO.

I think going west was the best option. BYU was a good add. And then should have went after CU, and the two AZ schools.... and Utah if they wanted to come?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If we want to go east.... then add Pitt or VTech, or both. I wish we never went east though with WV and now Cincy and UCF... dumb IMO.

I think going west was the best option. BYU was a good add. And then should have went after CU, and the two AZ schools.... and Utah if they wanted to come?

We wouldn't have a conference with WVU, Cincinnati and UCF

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
UConn is a bit of a puzzle as the #2 team in realignment, but they provide an elite WBB and MBB program. UConn football has been bad the last decade, but Mora got them to a bowl game last year. Give them Big12 money and a good coach- maybe they can become competitive.

But all this wrangling over how good CU, AU, ASU or UConn is secondary to whether ESPN/FOX will pay $32M for them to join the Big12. Maybe UConn would get a full share over time.

The other aspect, could be ESPN, headquartered in Bristol, might want UConn in it's brand portfolio. And FOX might value the UConn men's and women's hoop brands.

• Winner
Reactions: TheHelgo and ljm4cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Should have added BYU long ago in a previous rounds of this. I guess it worked out but in those days of pie slices they were the one that added more than the cut.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'd be 100% on board if they were added along with Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State. Utah can enjoy a glorified Mountain West
Agree. I could see Utah being Texas Lite in the B12. Or at least thinking they are.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Why not both? Maybe the long view is a 20-24 team Big12. Then an east coast division with schools like: UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, VaTech, Cincy Louisville and UCF might make sense.