Denae Fritz transferring

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
They spent their time watching Ashley be the first option. Soares came along giving them hope for a deep tournament run. When her season ended, BF went back to the familiar. With embarrassing losses to lower seeds two year in a row, things probably were a little out of sorts. Then BF lets them know his highly rated young bigs are going to be the keys to the offense next year. Discussion with family led to looking for greener pastures. Sucks, and does not help BF’s image. Still don’t see JP looking to change the only head coach he didn’t hire.

• Agree
Reactions: WartburgClone

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
As a middle aged male, life-long Cyclone, ISU grad, ISUAA lifetime member, CyClub Donor, Football season ticket holder since freshman year, I have a question for you: what is the "Iowa State Way"? I have no idea what that actually means and why it matters.
My cynical response to this is that the “Iowa State Way” is coded language that can mask intolerance.

My petty (but less cynical) response to this is that the “Iowa State Way” is a rather self-righteous set of standards that define, among other things, how an opposing coach should manage late-game substitutions in a blowout. ;)

I have referenced already that I find the “Iowa State Way” to be used in a rather heavy-handed way in the WBB program. But I do believe it comes from a place of putting others (teammates, family, university) before yourself and representing the program with dignity and respect. I’m ready for a rebrand, but the pillars of the program should remain a point of pride.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
They spent their time watching Ashley be the first option. Soares came along giving them hope for a deep tournament run. When her season ended, BF went back to the familiar. With embarrassing losses to lower seeds two year in a row, things probably were a little out of sorts. Then BF lets them know his highly rated young bigs are going to be the keys to the offense next year. Discussion with family led to looking for greener pastures. Sucks, and does not help BF’s image. Still don’t see JP looking to change the only head coach he didn’t hire.
Is this conjecture or inside information?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My cynical response to this is that the “Iowa State Way” is coded language that can mask intolerance.

My petty (but less cynical) response to this is that the “Iowa State Way” is a rather self-righteous set of standards that define, among other things, how an opposing coach should manage late-game substitutions in a blowout. ;)

I have referenced already that I find the “Iowa State Way” to be used in a rather heavy-handed way in the WBB program. But I do believe it comes from a place of putting others (teammates, family, university) before yourself and representing the program with dignity and respect. I’m ready for a rebrand, but the pillars of the program should remain a point of pride.
I like your astute take and humorous tone. You captured what to many is ineffable.

• Friendly
Reactions: Junejax

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
I’m going to equate what is going on in the program to my high school basketball experience. My junior year I had a coach who was not a bad guy, but he was a taskmaster, had a low tolerance for mistakes and rarely praised good play. I would never have not gone out for basketball, but I can’t say I enjoyed playing for the guy. After my junior year he retired from coaching. The new coach was such a breathe of fresh air for those of us who had played for the former guy. His style lead to the team playing more relaxed, free from the fear of making a mistake and being subbed out. Practice was no longer drudgery. I thoroughly enjoyed my senior season.

My first coach wasn’t a bad guy, but his style sucked the fun out of playing basketball. I would have still played had he not retired. But I also didn’t have the option to look for something else. I suspect the ladies leaving are just looking for a different experience. It sucks that they are leaving, but I hope the change they are making results in an experience similar to what happened for me In high school.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I agree with joyisuful. The "Iowa State Way" is all about representing the university is a positive light. It's the women going out and being involved with the community. It's how they represent on the court (as mentioned no whining to the officials, stomping feet, slamming balls, etc.). They strive to do things in a way that others want to emulate. One of the stories from years ago that I remember had to do with Lyndsey Medders. A young fan invited her (at an autograph session I believe) to come play basketball in their driveway. Guess who showed up basketball in hand to play with that kid? The Iowa State Way is about relationships.
Well said. In addition, us long time supporters just aren't used to loosing key players in the off season. It's disappointing and it hurts. We envisioned the "Iowa State Way" as cohesiveness and unity moving and working together to be successful including wining games.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
She said it's because she wanted to play in a faster offense.
You have to have the right players to run and gun. I thought we were slow and not the type of team that can spread the floor and go 1 on 1. Lexi was the exception in my opinion.

Reactions: PhillPhsy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Your loss, watched men's and women's basketball at all levels for 40 years, highlight of my wife and l's years.
Mine were my kids, or if you mean what we did together with our wives, I would put practicing to make our kids was our highlight. Watching any sport is way down on that list. Then again we have only been together for 26 years so maybe we will change opinion in the next 15

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
Mine were my kids, or if you mean what we did together with our wives, I would put practicing to make our kids was our highlight. Watching any sport is way down on that list. Then again we have only been together for 26 years so maybe we will change opinion in the next 15
One daughter played sball at ISU, other was 3 sport college athlete and all American softball play. Sports have been how we spent our time together. This is why I argue that women's basketball is fun to watch. At least for me.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron