Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Holy War is CyHawk on crack. Our rivalry with Iowa is tame compared to BYU-Utah
It's a fascinating rivalry.
Also ironic that Wittingham was a star at BYU as a player and will die at Utah.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The SEC has A&M and yet….

Oregon and Clemson are very similar. National brands with smaller fanbases than actual bluebloods. They are worth less money than the Alabamas and Ohio States.

Oregon isn’t good enough for the B1G. The conference has ballooned its per school $$$ based on a few bluebloods.

Clemson and the SEC, potentially the same story.

Texas A&M has an enormous fanbase. Their addition made the SEC richer. Same with Texas after them. And each addition that makes a league richer raises the bar for any further additions beyond that.

Would not be at all surprised if Florida State and UNC are the only programs in the ACC that actually make the B1G/SEC more money. They might get to drag along a partner, like USC did with UCLA, but I doubt it will be a complete carve-up, just like how Stanford and Cal and Oregon and Washington aren’t going to the B1G.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Does anyone think the Big 10 is done poaching from the P12? Are USC and UCLA going to travel 2,000 miles for their conference road games? I guess West Virginia has handled the travel okay. I just thought USC would have demanded more partners to bring along with them.

Reactions: BigTurk

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does anyone think the Big 10 is done poaching from the P12? Are USC and UCLA going to travel 2,000 miles for their conference road games? I guess West Virginia has handled the travel okay. I just thought USC would have demanded more partners to bring along with them.

I don’t think USC really gives a ****. They are flush. I don’t think an extra hour on a private jet is really that big of a deal when the payout is what is.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Yes. I think they are currently done at least in the short term.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I mean that’s possible. If that’s the direction they are willing to go the PAC and Big 12 will both have no option.

What stopped him from doing it until now? He could have done that at any point.
I'm sure a PAC with USC was always the preference, but that doesn't exist any more.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think they are done for now and wait on ND a while longer. They can always add more Pac 12 teams later if they wanted.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think Big 10 is holding out for ND and will wait to expand until ND to finally come to a decision that they have to join. That could be now, 2 years or 20. Eventually the B1G/SEC will figure out a way to limit ND ability to get to the playoffs (they already agreed they wouldn't get a bye in playoff expansion if independent).
As for USC partner rumor they don't want Oregon because the the Ducks recruit So Cal very well. They are boxing the Ducks out of their major recruiting base. There is a reason UCLA/USC were a pair and Wash/Oregon/Stanford wasn't considered as traveling partners.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I agree for the most part, but as always it has to make financial sense first and foremost. I can see where adding Clemson doesn't do much for the SEC since they already own that entire market and state.

Eyeballs on brands are not confined to state borders.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think they are done for now and wait on ND a while longer. They can always add more Pac 12 teams later if they wanted.
Not without paying an obscene amount of money to cover the GOR agreements those teams will be locked into.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Ken Miller on KXNO was on earlier and he is now believing the PAC 12 and ACC are forming something and the the Big12 is going to be left out. Thoughts? Just because the Big12 isn’t publicly saying anything doesn’t mean nothing is in the works.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Ken Miller on KXNO was on earlier and he is now believing the PAC 12 and ACC are forming something and the the Big12 is going to be left out. Thoughts? Just because the Big12 isn’t publicly saying anything doesn’t mean nothing is in the works.

They might form something but whatever it is will just be temporary and it won't make either of those conferences more valuable than the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

BigDH01

Oct 17, 2011
That’s dumb. Clemson is a national brand.
Clemson's 10 win season in 2011 was their first since 1990. They went through a pretty long period of mediocrity there. Dabo turned things around but my suspicion is that their position is more tenuous than most believe. The SEC/Big10 teams are going to have a lot of money to throw at recruits that Clemson won't have. Combine that with Dabo's hesitations around the transfer portal and Clemson could find itself another also-ran.

FWIW, I lived in South Carolina for awhile and while I saw burnt orange everywhere a lot of that was bandwagon transplants from the north. If they start losing again things could go south quickly. The longer Clemson is out of "the game" (P2) the less valuable they'll become IMO.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I’m seriously not sure if these media people remember that the Big 12 already added 4 teams, no one besides Out is leaving, AND that USC and UCLA are 1000% going to the big 10 in a matter of months. It’s like none of this happened and it’s last summer again.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

nwcat

Jul 20, 2016
So sports talk radio in Salt Lake is saying that the 4 Corner schools have agreed in principle to join the B12. It could be simultaneously true that UW/OU/Cal and Stan (who believe themselves too good for Midwest schools) are trying to work a deal with the ACC

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
So sports talk radio in Salt Lake is saying that the 4 Corner schools have agreed in principle to join the B12. It could be simultaneously true that UW/OU/Cal and Stan (who believe themselves too good for Midwest schools) are trying to work a deal with the ACC

Any link to the agreed in principle report?