Izaiah Brockington commits

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
IMO until the KU transfer lives up to his billing.......Brockington is the best transfer of the bunch.
No argument from me there, I think Brockington is a huge get.

I think for the program to be successful Hunter, Foster and Enaruna need to be the stars but Brockignton will be a huge complimentary player that does alot of things well kind of like Babb or Chris Allen those first couple Hoiberg years.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
A lot of what if's.. And maybe I'm drunk on TJ transfer cool-aid. But this team has SOO much talent. Reminds me of the 2019 team right now. If we can get a player like Enaruna to reach 80% of his potential. That's scary what 2023-2024 could look like
I just have a feeling that Enaruna is going to be our surprise player. I had the same feeling about Shayok and that turned out pretty well. I hope Enaruna can be around 10-12 pts, 5-6 rebs per game.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
IMO until the KU transfer lives up to his billing.......Brockington is the best transfer of the bunch.

It's close between Brockington and Kalscheur for me.

They're both not tier 1 sure fire all-conference guys like Kellan Grady, Tre Mitchell, or Marcus Carr but they're probably in that next tier of sure fire P5 starters. Which is a level I wasn't sure we'd be able to tap into coming off 2-22.

Enaruna is kind of a wild card but his ceiling is sky high. He was a rotational bench piece for the #1 team in the country as a true freshmen but hasn't proven himself with production. Been behind some high level talent.

• Agree
Reactions: TomTreebow

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

They're both not tier 1 sure fire all-conference guys like Kellan Grady, Tre Mitchell, or Marcus Carr but they're probably in that next tier of sure fire P5 starters. Which is a level I wasn't sure we'd be able to tap into coming off 2-22.

Enaruna is kind of a wild card but his ceiling is sky high. He was a rotational bench piece for the #1 team in the country as a true freshmen but hasn't proven himself with production. Been behind some high level talent.
Someone mentioned this about Enaruna in another thread, but apparently Tristan was stuck in the Netherlands during the first part of COVID and couldn’t make it back to campus for a long time. He also struggled finding ways to get better because his access to gyms were very limited.

• Informative
Reactions: usedcarguy

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA

Plus I believe Enaruna is only 19 despite completing two years of college. He has some developing to do. I think he will be a surprise too if he gels with the staff and the team.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I'm not so sure he is light years ahead of Fred in recruiting. Fred had zero head coaching experience so TJ wins there. But remember transfers like Royce White and Chris Allen had to sit out a year. And unless I am mistaken outside of Grill, none of TJ's transfers do. That gives TJ a distinct advantage in getting something turned around quicker, but does not necessarily mean he is recruiting better "out of the gate".

I never said that he was, but he's certainly ahead. That comment was in regards to HC experience. As for the difference in recruiting, let's look at some Fred's early recruits. Royce had been in trouble with the law and obviously was a head case. Chris Allen and Korie Lucious was kicked off the team at MSU. Those were reaches which worked out, but you're not seeing TJ bring in those kind of players. And I don't recall Fred landing any highly touted players in is first class like Lipsey or King...who would be the equivalents of sit-outs because they're still in high school.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I just have a feeling that Enaruna is going to be our surprise player. I had the same feeling about Shayok and that turned out pretty well. I hope Enaruna can be around 10-12 pts, 5-6 rebs per game.

I think Brockington is going to be that Shayock type of player who is going to thrive in TJ's system. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he averaged 15+ per game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I watched that full highlight video of Izaiah again and something that stood out to me was commentary on one of his fast breaks in which the announcer said "I don't know if there's a better player in transition in the Big 10 than Izaiah Brockerington. I really dont. When he's out in transition, he's one of the best players in the Big 10."

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Plus I believe Enaruna is only 19 despite completing two years of college. He has some developing to do. I think he will be a surprise too if he gels with the staff and the team.

Correct, Enaruna is very young for his class. Doesn't turn 20 until the end of June.

He turns 20 after Caleb Grill turns 21 for reference.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
While we're discussing player's ages and since this is the Brockington thread, Izaiah Brockington doesn't turn 22 until July. He's super young for his class for being a 5th year senior.

Kalscheur is actually about a month older than him despite being a grade below Brockington.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Shayok had shown way more than Enaruna. I wouldn't expect anything close to that type of impact, regardless of your similar "feeling."

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I never said that he was, but he's certainly ahead. That comment was in regards to HC experience. As for the difference in recruiting, let's look at some Fred's early recruits. Royce had been in trouble with the law and obviously was a head case. Chris Allen and Korie Lucious was kicked off the team at MSU. Those were reaches which worked out, but you're not seeing TJ bring in those kind of players. And I don't recall Fred landing any highly touted players in is first class like Lipsey or King...who would be the equivalents of sit-outs because they're still in high school.

Why does their background matter? Especially when we have the advantage of hindsight. Royce White, Chris Allen, and Chris Babb were each major additions. Then you throw in Tyrus McGee and to a lesser extent, Booker. His next class was Niang, Clyburn, and Lucious.

• Agree
Reactions: pulse and CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Why does their background matter? Especially when we have the advantage of hindsight. Royce White, Chris Allen, and Chris Babb were each major additions. Then you throw in Tyrus McGee and to a lesser extent, Booker. His next class was Niang, Clyburn, and Lucious.

Speaking of hindsight, I think Naz was with the Niang class. And although I don't remember if he was a highly sought out player....he certainly made an impact.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

Because there is a risk...especially if you're trying to establish an identity and culture. Maybe not as big of a risk or concern if you're just using the job to get your feet wet and land a gig in the NBA. Or maybe it's the difference between someone with coaching experience and someone without.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I watched that full highlight video of Izaiah again and something that stood out to me was commentary on one of his fast breaks in which the announcer said "I don't know if there's a better player in transition in the Big 10 than Izaiah Brockerington. I really dont. When he's out in transition, he's one of the best players in the Big 10."

All I want for Christmas this year is to see JorBo D'ing up Izaiah on a fast break.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Also Foster can guard Jaz on the wing. Something he struggled with the little bit he played last season.
And Jaz will be able to work on his cuts/drives to the basket. I liked what I saw of that on his last hit tape here. Foster and Enaruna will have to stay with him.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Someone mentioned this about Enaruna in another thread, but apparently Tristan was stuck in the Netherlands during the first part of COVID and couldn’t make it back to campus for a long time. He also struggled finding ways to get better because his access to gyms were very limited.
There is some talent here now, that lately it is easy to sort of forget about Tristan. Hopefully a new venue and a building of a positive culture will be the big difference for him.

He has the tools to be a star, but will have to blend into a new culture that says Team first.

Help Support Us

Become a patron