NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
That is a good idea. Short of being in the hospital. If that happened to get full, what then though. What I would worry about is people hiding the fact they are sick and not getting tested because of the implications of testing positive.

If you live in the dorm or if you are a student, I'm pretty sure ISU could require testing as a condition to be in Ames. That's all assuming they have the capability for wide scale testing.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
It's interesting because colleges could actually think about a strict quarantine. If there's a dorm set up as the Covid dorm that anybody that tests positive could move to for 2-3 weeks with food service and access to online courses, those students don't need to go to a grocery store, aren't essential workers, and aren't caretakers for others.

Those are the things that aren't possible for essential workers and family caretakers.

What happens in the Covid dorm stays in the Covid dorm.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I love how these magical pieces of cloth can now solve everything. Ironically my belief of magic is also taking a real hit.

The funny thing about science and statistics is that it is’t a simple it solves everything or nothing... there can be a meaningful and scientifically proven 50-60% decrease in the likelihood of catching/spreading COVID with a simple mask. That can make a difference in millions of infections over a year’s time.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
The funny thing about science and statistics is that it is’t a simple it solves everything or nothing... there can be a meaningful and scientifically proven 50-60% decrease in the likelihood of catching/spreading COVID with a simple mask. That can make a difference in millions of infections over a year’s time.

Not worth the inconvenience.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
If you live in the dorm or if you are a student, I'm pretty sure ISU could require testing as a condition to be in Ames. That's all assuming they have the capability for wide scale testing.

I assume the cost of testing 25,000 students weekly would be staggering.

That doesn't take into account the amount of manpower it would take to staff such a program. Universities aren't necessarily known for their ability to streamline departments and programs and this would be a major program.

I work at a facility with approximately 1000 people on 1st shift and there are no less than 12 people manning the temperature check/check in stations at 4 doors at peak times.(3 people can be processed per door at one time.)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Blum makes a great point on the recent podcast with CW. Generalizing some here, but he said what happens when 10,000 students show up in Ames in a month and 8% test positive, 800 students, what do you do, how do you mitigate, manage or can you even control that? What does that do to the city of Ames, story county? Who is enforcing self isolation if that magnitude? All for masks, not sure that is going to get it done.

10,000?? Try more like 30,000 students.

There's no way there will be any fans in Jack Trice this fall besides maybe family members of players and coaches.

The chances of there even being football played at all are probably now less than 50/50. This country is just too stupid, and it's WAY too late now to do anything about it. We had a chance back in March and April, but threw it away because nobody believes in science.

We're all getting what we deserved. Actually I don't really deserve it because I've basically stayed at home this entire time, and the few times I have gone out I've worn a mask, but we're all together in this together, so as a society we've all failed.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
10,000?? Try more like 30,000 students.

There's no way there will be any fans in Jack Trice this fall besides maybe family members of players and coaches.

The chances of there even being football played at all are probably now less than 50/50. This country is just too stupid, and it's WAY too late now to do anything about it. We had a chance back in March and April, but threw it away because nobody believes in science.

We're all getting what we deserved. Actually I don't really deserve it because I've basically stayed at home this entire time, and the few times I have gone out I've worn a mask, but we're all together in this together, so as a society we've all failed.

Couldn’t agree more. Sad truth is sad.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Sounds like Ivy League will announce this week a postponement of all fall sports. If you remember, they lead the way on the March Madness shutdown and the same could be coming for football and basketball (again).

I imagine many will announce a delay to spring to try and buy time, but I don’t know any expert that believes March/April next year will be better than this fall.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

Baseball and softball teams in Iowa are canceling the rest of their seasons for 1 positive test. 50% decrease in spread due to masks wearing is great, but is not near enough even if we all wore them 24/7. Masks don’t stop this 100%...so why have kids in school, kids at colleges in any way shape or form? Sports? We don’t deserve it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sounds like Ivy League will announce this week a postponement of all fall sports. If you remember, they lead the way on the March Madness shutdown and the same could be coming for football and basketball (again).

I imagine many will announce a delay to spring to try and buy time, but I don’t know any expert that believes March/April next year will be better than this fall.
The Ivy League was the first one to shut down their tournament, but they weren't the reason March Madness got cancelled. That was Rudy Gobert. He tested positive, the NBA postponed their season that Wednesday night, then on Thursday all the other tournaments got cancelled.

Ivy League is not going to have a factor in the rest of college football being played.

Reactions: CloneJD

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

That's because Ivy League schools are smart.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

100% agree. So now is the moment of truth and your facing the fact there has not been a successful coronavirus vaccine, ever. Maybe this time there will be, ( I hope) but SARS didn’t have one, plus when is it safe and ready for all? 2021? So what is the collective of society prepared to do until that time that doesn’t crater millions of livelihoods of adults and children alike?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
100% agree. So now is the moment of truth and your facing the fact there has not been a successful coronavirus vaccine, ever. Maybe this time there will be, ( I hope) but SARS didn’t have one, plus when is it safe and ready for all? 2021? So what is the collective of society prepared to do until that time that doesn’t crater millions of livelihoods of adults and children alike?
Require masks at all events is what I'd say.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
100% agree. So now is the moment of truth and your facing the fact there has not been a successful coronavirus vaccine, ever. Maybe this time there will be, ( I hope) but SARS didn’t have one, plus when is it safe and ready for all? 2021? So what is the collective of society prepared to do until that time?

I‘ve got good news and bad news for you.

Bad news first? Your troll is terrible and you should leave the internet.

Good news time: if you sit back and shut up you’ll get all of the answers you want in time. Reality has a better way of dealing with your existential questions than sports message board people.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There won't be any college basketball games this year either most likely.

People might as well wake up to the facts of this thing. Just hoping and being optimistic about it isn't going to change anything.... news alert..... the virus doesn't care if you like sports or not?

And it also doesn't know where one state ends and another begins either by the way.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yep. Definitely have that 'getting punished as a whole class because a few decided to be dumbasses' vibe. Everyone who did the right thing and distanced, limited themselves to necessary trips to businesses, etc, should be livid at those who didn't, honestly. We could have had this **** handled by now and back to a 90% normal, like most other functional countries.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There won't be any college basketball games this year either most likely.

People might as well wake up to the facts of this thing. Just hoping and being optimistic about it isn't going to change anything.... news alert..... the virus doesn't care if you like sports or not?

And it also doesn't know where one state ends and another begins either by the way.
If there is no college football or college basketball. College athletics as a whole will cease to exist like it did before.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Why it's really fun to get on a high horse and chastise all of the commoners or to be a general anarchist, the reality is that (1) K-12 children will be in school in some form soon and (2) a portion of the nation will be playing college football this fall.

The US clearly has adopted the Swedish approach. While it may not minimize spread of Covid-19, it provides a bit more leeway in how we live day to day. You're going to have to deal with it because that die has been cast.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron