North Shore MN recommendations

sfisher

Nov 11, 2009
Ankeny
Recommend all of the same places as everyone has mentioned. If you get way up north, Grand Marais is a neat town. We tent camped in a campground on the south side of town. Initially unknown to us (other side of bushes) the edge of our campsite was Lake Superior beach! Great evenings on the beach. Grand Marais is a good town to relax and wonder with kids (ice cream shops, Sven n Oles). Recommend North Shore trip!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I've spent a fair amount of time up in that area, so here are a few more ideas that are off the beaten track that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Coho Cafe in Tofte. Right off of 61 and they have really good food. I'm a big fan of their wild rice sausage pizza.

2. Judge C.R. Magney State Park - it's North of Grand Marais, and has a really cool waterfall called the Devil's Kettle. It's a bout a mile in, and it's really cool since the water funnels into the rock and it's unclear how it comes out again. Fun for kids (and adults) to think about.

3. Oberg Mountain (between Tofte and Lutsen). It's a decent hike up to the peak with great views. I did it ~10 years ago and remember it as not that challenging.

4. If you're really feeling adventurous and want to get out in a canoe, I'd go see one of my favorite waterfalls on the East side of the BWCA, Rose Lake Falls. You'd travel up the Gunflint Trail to the Hungry Jack area, put in on Bearskin Lake, portage to Duncan Lake and enjoy the falls between Duncan and Rose.
https://www.gunflintcanoeing.com/_wp2015/canoe-day-trips/rose-lake-falls/
We checked out the Devils Kettle. Very cool. Probably the longest wooden stair/deck structure I've been up and down to get to the kettle. Lots of mosquitos!

Reactions: Entropy

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Recommend all of the same places as everyone has mentioned. If you get way up north, Grand Marais is a neat town. We tent camped in a campground on the south side of town. Initially unknown to us (other side of bushes) the edge of our campsite was Lake Superior beach! Great evenings on the beach. Grand Marais is a good town to relax and wonder with kids (ice cream shops, Sven n Oles). Recommend North Shore trip!
World's Greatest Donuts!. Don't miss that place.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Ditto to all of the park, restaurant, and trail recommendations already voiced here.

If you're looking for lodging as well I highly recommend the Lutsen Resort. A gorgeous historic lodge (with some cool mobster history tied in as well). It came under new ownership almost 2 years ago now (I believe) and the new owners have completed quite a few much-needed improvements and renovations. My family has been going up to the North Shore for 30+ years and that is our favorite spot to rest our heads, winter and summer.

They have a great activity staff as well to keep the kids entertained, provide trail conditions each day, or even guide you on some kayak or hiking excursions.

Reactions: Macloney and NWICY

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
upload_2020-6-26_10-57-41.jpeg

If you have time you should check out the black sand beach park. The sand isn’t naturally black and is a bit of sobering moment to realize the impact humans can have on the environment.

cycloneshort

Jan 19, 2017
Grand Marais is definitely a good spot to spend an afternoon, Voyageur brewing has great food as well there.

Driving up the Gunflint trail is good too, definitely lots of good hiking spots right off the road.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Betty's Pies comes up pretty quickly, be prepared to make the turn. Grand Marais is beautiful, had a lot of fun there, went up to the border and did some hiking. All in all, a nice trip up the coastline.

If you get all the way up to Grand Marais, might as well stop right before the border crossing at the rest stop. It's a short jaunt to Pigeon Falls from the rest stop, which is the tallest waterfall in MN. If you're lucking you can wave at a Canadian on the other side.

kcbob79clone

All the above. I would add the Grand Portage village if not mentioned. Good food near Grand Marais
- pizza at My Sisters Place
- blue water cafe
- pie place cafe
- fudge at Beth's fudge
- frenchman's French toast at naniboujou lodge
- french onion soup at Crooked spoon

Try the herring at Dockside Fish Market or Angry Trout. A fish you can't get in too many places.

While in the Apostle Islands area and are adventurous try the whitefish livers at the Portside Bar and Marina near Bayfield and a couple other places.

Have fun, great places to visit!

Last edited:

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
If you get all the way up to Grand Marais, might as well stop right before the border crossing at the rest stop. It's a short jaunt to Pigeon Falls from the rest stop, which is the tallest waterfall in MN. If you're lucking you can wave at a Canadian on the other side.

Glad you said it: if you drive up from Duluth to Grand Marais you might as well go to Canada; it’s a 2 hour drive. Tettegouche and Baptism River are the most fun swimming holes on the way up, if the temps are okay. Superior will put your marbles in your throat until August, however.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Is that the fall that used to be really easy to get to from the Canadian side? Before needing passports you could jump the border go into Canada a couple of miles (?) and park at a unmarked pullover and follow a trail with no signs to a huge waterfall that had a broken down log flume next to it. It was a great sight.

CoachKM

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
This.....plus would add Jay Cooke State Park, which is south of Duluth, as a good place to hike with your kids. There is a suspension bridge over the River near the visitor center. Beautiful area!

There's a ton of state parks up there. Tettegouche state park is great for some moderate hiking. Go from the visitor center to the mouth of the Baptism River and then go on a hike past the 3 falls. Your kids are probably a bit young for the educational aspects of Split Rock Lighthouse but look into it to see what you think. Gosseberry Falls is cool too. Some hiking to the falls and a bunch of different swimming holes.

I'd say to eat at Betty's Pies. I think it's in Castle Danger. Pretty good meals at a really good price with great pie.

There's a ropes course right around there somewhere too.

Duluth is another full day at least if you go there. I'd go to the Portland Malt Shoppe by the old Fitgers Brewery. Check the schedule to see when the large ships come in to the harbor. A boat tour of the harbor is really interesting. And you can rent a surry to ride around Canal Park. We like to eat at Grandma's when we go there because of the history of the place. The kids don't really need to know what the history entails. It's worth it to go to The Enger Tower for the views. There's also a Japanese Garden up there.

Waukee4Cy

Feb 4, 2020
What is the high season for Duluth and points north? Is it basically all summer long? A shorter time-span? Any times that are good to go when crowds are less?

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Great thread! My lady friend and I were just talking about trying to make it up to Duluth/Apostle islands late July as well!

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Is that the fall that used to be really easy to get to from the Canadian side? Before needing passports you could jump the border go into Canada a couple of miles (?) and park at a unmarked pullover and follow a trail with no signs to a huge waterfall that had a broken down log flume next to it. It was a great sight.

Don't know. It's easy to get to from both sides I think. The rest stop is literally in view of the border crossing. I don't think the border is open to tourism right now.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If you're going to be in Duluth your kids would love the secret swimming hole at Lester Park. It's along Amity Creek. College kids jumping off 50 foot tall cliffs is cool, plus your little one can pick around in the creek.

Let's be honest guys, the landscape in Iowa sucks and this thread proves it.

twa5786

Feb 21, 2007
USA
Any unique, non-mainstream hotel lodging recommendations in this area? Hoping to keep the budget around $150/night.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Any unique, non-mainstream hotel lodging recommendations in this area? Hoping to keep the budget around $150/night.
We are visiting the Duluth area in a few weeks. We are staying at the Larsmont Cottages on Lake Superior. Their generic queen bedroom option is only $118 per night. You still get all the resort benefits, just a very simple room.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I did not have a meal at betty's pies, but we did purchase a pie to go. I hate to be "that guy" but I was far from impressed. It seemed like they had baked a freezer pie and charged me a boatload for it.

Betty's Pies is overrated according to the locals. The pies are no longer made in house. We went to The Rustic Inn for pies. We had the Carmel Apple Pecan pie. It was very good. And made daily on site.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
We do expect a report then

Fiance was really on board with this and we ended up booking a stay at Lutsen. I'm not sure we'll be able to make Apostle's happen this trip (we have a friend moving up there next year so we'll try to head up then) but we're excited to check out the north shore. The struggle now is do we bring our gravel bikes or fat bikes... We're going to try and find some forest service roads to ride I think. Maybe I should check out the top speed of wolves/beers/moose before we get too lost :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron