***The Da Vinci Code Mafia***

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I thought this game was refreshing when we had the one day where everyone posted their reads on people and had actual discussion about it. That is what allowed us to find more innocents than mafia really and band together and weed out who was left. We need more of that going forward.
Yeah this was a good one. I know that special innos and clues did a lot for us, but the reads and input from Cleaver, JM, moores et al played a big part in things too.

If you're a regular inno there's plenty of good you can do. You just need to choose to make your own fun. I probably won't throw every single theory I have out in the open like last game, but the more people that do helps the innos think things out.

Final thought - when people look at the thread and see 2 people at the top and post something like "guess it's between azhuth and Cleaver today, I'll vote azhuth" that is not helpful. You can literally vote for anyone else! I understand there are some folks with very limited time so I'm not judging for that. But if you DO have the time make sure not to fall into that.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm curious what you're wanting that isn't "group think", exactly?

The last few games have had plenty of "confirmed" innocents out in the open and they become easy to follow because people know they're not being led astray by someone lying. That's just the nature of how those games have developed.

I feel like people have had every opportunity to discuss things. It's not like anyone's opinions are being suppressed.
What if you want to suppress someone’s opinion though?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I had the same clue from the start of the game but I wasn't about to share it and get killed for being a special.

Yeah, I figured that would clue the mafia in to people being important. Who saw the clues in the film? We all thought mafia had 2015 pegged and was using my status as a known Priory member to try and out the other Priory members to either kill or vote off.

Cleaver

Jul 9, 2015
All you cool people still posting over here and have already signed up for the next game. I dropped the role list today. Would you mind checking out the thread and letting me know what you think?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'm curious what you're wanting that isn't "group think", exactly?

The last few games have had plenty of "confirmed" innocents out in the open and they become easy to follow because people know they're not being led astray by someone lying. That's just the nature of how those games have developed.

I feel like people have had every opportunity to discuss things. It's not like anyone's opinions are being suppressed.
I’m guessing that the confirmed innos out in the open plays a large part in it. But just looking at vote counts from this game, most days are either a runaway or comes down to everyone voting for two people. Don’t get me wrong, innos kicked ass, but I don’t think it’s that fun. I’m not trying to say anyone’s opinion is being suppressed, I just think mafia is more fun when theories are flying and not just a couple main people throwing out a theory and majority following cause it’s easy

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I’m guessing that the confirmed innos out in the open plays a large part in it. But just looking at vote counts from this game, most days are either a runaway or comes down to everyone voting for two people. Don’t get me wrong, innos kicked ass, but I don’t think it’s that fun. I’m not trying to say anyone’s opinion is being suppressed, I just think mafia is more fun when theories are flying and not just a couple main people throwing out a theory and majority following cause it’s easy
I agree. I just don't think this game or the last one with PSY (a confirmed special innocent that can't be killed by the mafia) indicate any kind of game-ruining trend of people turning into mindless sheep.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
There is the point. The half days that we have had have been pretty sure things with verified people pointing fingers. I don't think we would get this banter either way. All we would have for the day is 20 people voting for the same person with no additional dialog. Makes for a pretty boring day.

The next day after that half day I was voted out, with some of the reasoning being that I had a bad voting record. That's because I can't vote when the day ends unexpectedly. Not only that, but I wasn't around to discuss with the rest of the mafia who to hit that half night. Not that I don't trust their judgement, but that takes away from the gameplay. As KC said earlier, it really affects the strategy involved for the mafia members as they try to blend in with the rest of the posters by being able to post during the game. If someone is bored, fine, don't check back in until the next day. That's a choice you can make. But don't make choices for the whole group by calling for a half day.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The next day after that half day I was voted out, with some of the reasoning being that I had a bad voting record. That's because I can't vote when the day ends unexpectedly. Not only that, but I wasn't around to discuss with the rest of the mafia who to hit that half night. Not that I don't trust their judgement, but that takes away from the gameplay. As KC said earlier, it really affects the strategy involved for the mafia members as they try to blend in with the rest of the posters by being able to post during the game. If someone is bored, fine, don't check back in until the next day. That's a choice you can make. But don't make choices for the whole group by calling for a half day.
I honestly would have been more inclined to move off of my vote for you had you waited until 6 pm to say something the day that you were one of the higher votes. It was more of a breaking routine thing for me more so than anything else.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I honestly would have been more inclined to move off of my vote for you had you waited until 6 pm to say something the day that you were one of the higher votes. It was more of a breaking routine thing for me more so than anything else.

Why did I break my routine?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Why did I break my routine?
Prior to the day with a run on you, you hadn't posted during the day once. Which is fine, probably means you are busy at work etc. It just seemed convenient that you had time that day to step in to defend yourself quick. Probably meant that you had checked in over lunch hours prior to that day as well, but didn't post anything. Made me believe that you were intentionally being quiet rather than busy. Had you kept your routine of only checking in at night, then you being busy at work everyday would have been more valid to me in the game. I had no problem with you being a no vote for mafia on a half day, considering you were always a night check player. But seeing you post during the day broke that illusion.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I think you're missing the point. Last week was busy at work, so I wasn't checking in during the day. That's how I missed the half day. The next day, I made a point to check in to see if another unexpected half day was taking place, only to find I'm getting votes. Of course I'm going to defend myself before it turns into a runaway train. But if not for that half day, I don't have as bad of a voting record, I don't check in the next day, and I don't post until that evening, which would have been consistent with how I had been playing the whole game. Half days completely disrupt the flow of the game.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I thought this game was refreshing when we had the one day where everyone posted their reads on people and had actual discussion about it. That is what allowed us to find more innocents than mafia really and band together and weed out who was left. We need more of that going forward.
"reads"?
There is no "read" on day one, unless you go back to previous games. And past games should have no bearing on current roles, unless the mayors are not randomizing roles any more.

Edit - I see that I misread. I thought you were talking about Cash's game within a game. Yeah, the later discussion was pretty useful, although some of the reads were fairly inaccurate. ;)

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So, next person to call for a half day when its not announced ahead of time gets clapped instantly?

I think that's going too far. I think the time in which half days starts needs to be determined before hand. I said the other day once there are only 30% of players left, half days automatically start, with an announcement from the mayor that they are starting. Some other percent could be decided, but so long it's defined.

Another thought, maybe they automatically start after 7 days?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
No MU stuff here

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Final thought - when people look at the thread and see 2 people at the top and post something like "guess it's between azhuth and Cleaver today, I'll vote azhuth" that is not helpful. You can literally vote for anyone else! I understand there are some folks with very limited time so I'm not judging for that. But if you DO have the time make sure not to fall into that.
Yeah, instead you should announce your terrible theory and push for the detective to get 8 votes during power hour.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah, instead you should announce your terrible theory and push for the detective to get 8 votes during power hour.
tenor.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron