Justin Smith

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
all 5 years at ISU steve is 14-40 on the road

i dont expect any coach to have some winning record away from home, but 26% seems... low? maybe im off base and thats about right for a P5 school that plays in a conference like the big 12

We weren't very good on the road in CSP's 1st year ('15-'16: 3-6), good on the road during the last 2 up years ('16-'17: 5-4 '18-'19': 4-5), and atrocious in the two down years ('17-'18: 0-9 '19-'20: 0-9). Big 12 road records only*

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not entirely sure. I think the two years absolutely kills Prohm's percentage though, which is still on him don't get me wrong. What helps us next year on the road is the fact that if things swing our way with Harris and Smith, you're looking at a very seasoned team and that certainly helps on the road.

Prohm has certainly had some bad road experiences but he's had quite a few good ones as well. @ Cincy his first year. The D-Jack game @ Phog Allen, @ Ole Miss, @ K-State, and @ Texas Tech two years ago. Those are just a few and there's probably more.

We weren't very good on the road in CSP's 1st year ('15-'16: 3-6), good on the road during the last 2 up years ('16-'17: 5-4 '18-'19': 4-5), and atrocious in the two bad years ('17-'18: 0-9 '19-'20: 0-9). Big 12 road records only*

We have never been a good road program in the B12... few have.

Maybe the Fizer/Tinsley days of yore, but not this century.

Being the only home loss for a national runner-up was pretty awesome, though.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Yes and if you think about it, it makes sense. When you say only a few teams have been good on the road, you're basically saying it's only the top 2 teams in the league every year and one of those has always been Kansas outside two years ago.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yes and if you think about it, it makes sense. When you say only a few teams have been good on the road, you're basically saying it's only the top 2 teams in the league every year and one of those has always been Kansas outside two years ago.

The way to win the B12 (or really any high major conference) has always been...

In descending order of importance...

Hold serve at home. Ideally undefeated, but no more than one or MAYBE two losses.
Do not lose to cupcake bad teams at the bottom of the conference. Period.
Split home and away with your peer competitors gunning for the conference title.
MAYBE -- but not even necessarily -- pick up a key road upset against your peers.

Do all that, and you usually come out ahead. It is not about going into the arena and slaying the lions on the road so much as just not screwing up games you should win.

You can be a 500 road team and still with the conference if you never lose at home. That formula has worked (mostly, haha) for Kansas for the past 15+ years.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I've always said it's better to be a has been than a never was.

That is why I don't want to be called an "expert". An "ex" is a "has been" and a "spirt" is a "drip under pressure" so I don't want to be "a has been drip"!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Tinsley played 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, so technically this century. We were 5-3 in the 2000-2001 Big12 season, and one of the losses was a 4OT game at Missouri.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The problem we have always had with Transfer recruiting is the team gelling together at the start of the season. We have lost to lesser teams. Hopefully if we get all these players eligible and ready to go we can gel quickly

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Tinsley played 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, so technically this century. We were 5-3 in the 2000-2001 Big12 season, and one of the losses was a 4OT game at Missouri.

I remember that game. 3@#$%ing Clarence Gilbert...

2000 went 6-2, both OT losses. If I remember right OU and CU both hit last second shots to tie the game. Two shots away from running the table in the conference that year..:mad:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Reactions: Peter

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The problem we have always had with Transfer recruiting is the team gelling together at the start of the season. We have lost to lesser teams. Hopefully if we get all these players eligible and ready to go we can gel quickly

Like our Elite 8 team losing at Drake early in the season?

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Like our Elite 8 team losing at Drake early in the season?

I worked with a guy at the time who loved to bet and he asked me if he should bet that game. I don't remember what the spread was but I remember telling him that ISU should win because they had Fizer and that the guards should be pretty good with the new PG coming in (Tinsley).

Needless to say he was not happy with me when they lost.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
How is that more inherent to transfer recruiting?

It’s an issue any time you’re relying on guys in new roles, arguably less so if more mature transfers, some that have been on campus

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
How is that more inherent to transfer recruiting?

It’s an issue any time you’re relying on guys in new roles, arguably less so if more mature transfers, some that have been on campus

Agree. More difficult for freshmen to blend in with a college level team than for an experienced transfer.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
A bit off topic but do we know when the freshmen and/or new transfers will be able to get on campus and begin workouts?

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Remember, JS ( his dad)is wanting to play the wing and have the ball in his hands, be the man. There maybe no gelling involved.

Help Support Us

Become a patron