Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m hoping someone can tell me what this is. It started as a maybe 1x1.5 foot spot last year but has grown into this this year. There is nothing I can think of that would cause it and my neighbor wouldn’t do anything to our yard.

The grass in this area is dead as dead can be. I tried filling in the spot last year and not a blade came up. I thought maybe I spilled some weed killer or something last year but I know I didn’t do this much damage. Any ideas?

2FA760FB-1F66-4F90-84D7-80D3F6C58D3E.jpeg

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
What is strip city?

Lawn-Striping-Tips-How-To-Mow-Stripes-In-Your-Lawn-848x450.jpg

Reactions: Scott34 and ruflosn

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I’m hoping someone can tell me what this is. It started as a maybe 1x1.5 foot spot last year but has grown into this this year. There is nothing I can think of that would cause it and my neighbor wouldn’t do anything to our yard.

The grass in this area is dead as dead can be. I tried filling in the spot last year and not a blade came up. I thought maybe I spilled some weed killer or something last year but I know I didn’t do this much damage. Any ideas?

View attachment 71138
Maybe fungus? Did it start mid summer and slowly get worse?

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013

View attachment 71138

Looks like chemical damage. Did someone rinse out buckets in that area? Any chance snow gets piled up there that might have a bunch of ice melt in it? Is it possible a dog is peeing in that one spot? It does look a bit greener right around the damaged spot which makes me think of excessive nitrogen, but usually the grass surrounding a dog pea spot is even more green an lush. It doesn't look like fungus to me.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

View attachment 71138

nimblewill. It’s a pain in the ***

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Looks like chemical damage. Did someone rinse out buckets in that area? Any chance snow gets piled up there that might have a bunch of ice melt in it? Is it possible a dog is peeing in that one spot? It does look a bit greener right around the damaged spot which makes me think of excessive nitrogen, but usually the grass surrounding a dog pea spot is even more green an lush. It doesn't look like fungus to me.

The weird part is nobody goes to that part of yard unless it’s to mow. It’s on the opposite side of the house from the garage and gate to the backyard. The only thing I can think of is our AC unit was replaced late last summer. You can see where that sits in the photo.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The weird part is nobody goes to that part of yard unless it’s to mow. It’s on the opposite side of the house from the garage and gate to the backyard. The only thing I can think of is our AC unit was replaced late last summer. You can see where that sits in the photo.

If the condenser leak on the grass, it most likely would smoke the grass. Dig up a portion, pack down some new soil and seed it. If it grows then you know what is going on and what to do.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Is there any issue to putting crabgrass preventer down today when the grass is still wet from rains in the night? The instructions say to apply when the grass is dry but I wasn't sure if that's a big deal or not.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is there any issue to putting crabgrass preventer down today when the grass is still wet from rains in the night? The instructions say to apply when the grass is dry but I wasn't sure if that's a big deal or not.

My guess would be that the wet grass would cause the granules to stick to the grass when you want them falling to the soil

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
I know this topic gets discussed every year, but would like to adjust the question a bit. I know it has been said that we should fertilize our yards at the end of April/early May for the initial time. Should this be adjusted since we are trending towards warmer temperatures earlier than normal?
For grabgrass preventer, soils have to be 55-65 degrees before germination occurs. Its not air temp, its soild temps