First time parent advice, tips, tricks, etc.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Congrats! The feeling you have when your kid is born is like no other. You can try to imagine it, but just wait until you experience it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Decide if you are staying with “mom” in the room when the kid is born. I did not, wife was tired, I was tired and a futon looked awful to sleep on. Nurses will help a lot. I went home to sleep and rest up so I could be fresh for the remainder of the day and do most of the work during the day so my wife could sleep as much as she wanted the 16-18 hours I was there.

Reactions: derpyherky

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Keep the communication with your wife open and honest. If one of you is overwhelmed, let the other one know. Also, the most patient person can lose their mind and temper when exhaustion kicks in. It's ALWAYS better to collect yourself before handling that baby. They can cry and still be ok.

As far as the kid goes, every one is gonna be different and you will know your own child better than anyone else that wants to parent from the cheap seats.

And congrats to you both. Hoping for good health all around.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I bolded this part because it is more important than some might think, especially for a first time mother. She will be going through a lot of emotions/stress and needs some time to bond with the baby and figure some things out without all sorts of family and friends coming in and "needing" to hold the baby.

Agree with this. Don't be afraid to also start your own family traditions. When we had our first kid my wife really wanted to start our own tradition: which was that on Christmas Day our family will not leave our house. Anyone is welcome to come over and spend time with us, but we will not dress our kids up to drive to Relative X where 50 other people are. Something as simple as that really ruffled some feathers year 1, but now everyone is used to it.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Decide if you are staying with “mom” in the room when the kid is born. I did not, wife was tired, I was tired and a futon looked awful to sleep on. Nurses will help a lot. I went home to sleep and rest up so I could be fresh for the remainder of the day and do most of the work during the day so my wife could sleep as much as she wanted the 16-18 hours I was there.

Stay in the room with mom and go south of the equator! Watch that baby enter the world!

If you can handle watching a puppy being born then you can handle it

It did take some time for both sides to get back to love makin'. Some things you can't unsee, but you'll get over it. Get right in there!

(Although I didn't cut the cord. We had a room full of professionals. Why would I cut that thing??)

Last edited:

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
This is so true it's not even funny. Plus, hormones will be messing with Momma, so she'll decide that the $1000 stroller really is necessary, or that a baby wipe warmer is just what the nursery needs.

Don't skimp on the car seat, though. Buy one new, make sure you know how to install it. For the little ones, we liked the Graco Click-Connect ones. When baby falls asleep in the car, you can just pull the carrier out and bring them inside. Plus, it can go right to the stroller as well, so that's less for you to mess around with.

And make sure you try the car seat out in your car! I have a friend who bought a gigantic one that didn't fit in their back seat. Didn't realize it until time to pick up the kid from the hospital.

Go to local firestation, they should be able to teach you how to install new car seat properly.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Stay in the room with mom and go south of the equator! Watch that baby enter the world!

It did take some time for both sides to get back to love makin'. Some things you can't unsee, but you'll get over it. Get right in there!

(Although I didn't cut the cord. We had a room full if professionals. Why would I cut that thing??)

As long as its not like pulling a calf, I think I'll be ok. Haha.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS

(Although I didn't cut the cord. We had a room full if professionals. Why would I cut that thing??)

If I can do it, you can. I strongly recommend you to see it. It's amazing.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I meant in the room at nights after the kid is born. Oh, definitely be there for birth, I would not recommend not seeing the birth.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
If you live in DM suburbia I don't know of many centers for under $250wk for infants.

Our preliminary research is showing right at $250/wk for the large daycare centers for infants. We would prefer a smaller home one than the large ones but you can only afford what you can afford.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
First - Congrats! Don't be afraid to do what is right for you and your family. If your situation warrants a mini-van - get it.

My humble opinion:
- Your baby will let you know when it needs something for the first 6 months

- Walk at 1 / Talk at 2

- Can you afford to have one parent at home and not use day care? I'm not a fanatic about it, but 10 years later, you won't miss the money, but might avoid the hassle of daycare and enjoy the extra time with them.

- Toddlers don't need screen time but do need structure/limits. They might test you, but hold steady to right/wrong: time for bed/breakfast/lunch/supper (it is OK to make them eat whatever you have cooked), when to talk and when not to talk, time to run & play/time to be quiet, when to ask questions/when to do what they're told (you get what you get and you don't throw a fit), etc. (every teacher they have will thank you for that!)

- Pay attention to them when they need it. They are more than a pet you can just shove an iPhone in front of and ignore. (hearing lots stories around this from my teacher-wife)

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I meant in the room at nights after the kid is born. Oh, definitely be there for birth, I would not recommend not seeing the birth.

It's obvious dad is a complete afterthought in that room. If you can comfortably sleep on a concrete floor then you'll be OK.

Otherwise it sucks..... We were there 4 nights and I couldn't wait to go home

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
First - Congrats! Don't be afraid to do what is right for you and your family. If your situation warrants a mini-van - get it.

My humble opinion:
- Your baby will let you know when it needs something for the first 6 months

- Walk at 1 / Talk at 2

- Can you afford to have one parent at home and not use day care? I'm not a fanatic about it, but 10 years later, you won't miss the money, but might avoid the hassle of daycare and enjoy the extra time with them.

- Toddlers don't need screen time but do need structure/limits. They might test you, but hold steady to right/wrong: time for bed/breakfast/lunch/supper (it is OK to make them eat whatever you have cooked), when to talk and when not to talk, time to run & play/time to be quiet, when to ask questions/when to do what they're told (you get what you get and you don't throw a fit), etc. (every teacher they have will thank you for that!)

- Pay attention to them when they need it. They are more than a pet you can just shove an iPhone in front of and ignore. (hearing lots stories around this from my teacher-wife)

No we can't, wife is a small business owner and can't afford for her not to work right now. At least thats what our budget spreadsheet is indicating.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Agree with this. Don't be afraid to also start your own family traditions. When we had our first kid my wife really wanted to start our own tradition: which was that on Christmas Day our family will not leave our house. Anyone is welcome to come over and spend time with us, but we will not dress our kids up to drive to Relative X where 50 other people are. Something as simple as that really ruffled some feathers year 1, but now everyone is used to it.

We have a similar rule, our kids will always have Christmas morning in our house. We do head to my parents' that afternoon, but not until we're done with our family stuff.

Reactions: STATE12

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Don't be afraid to let the nurses take the baby back to the nursery at night either, so you can get a couple 1.5-2hr sleep sessions in.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Something we have in our new house that has come in very handy with an infant/toddler: instant hot water tap on the kitchen sink.

One of those things we didn't know we wanted until we had it. We use it constantly to heat up bottles, frozen milk, frozen fruits/veggies, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: derpyherky

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
After the baby is born, let the nurses do as much as they can. You don't need to change the diapers in the hospital to get some practice. Let the nurses take care of that stuff. You will get plenty of opportunities at home.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron