STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I attended quite a few games at the Rosemont/All-State to watch DePaul...and it got renovated in the early 2000s maybe? DePaul plays in the South Loop now...not too far from Soldier's Field! Can't imagine they draw much of a crowd down there when you have to pay a lot to park and tickets aren't cheap!
Agreed. They have student buses, but I have no idea how crowded those actually get. Or why students would take it. I think the Red Line is a straight shot between campus to the arena.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
That would be a very Greg McDermott-ish type of situation.

If it does shake out like that I just hope that they don't have their own version of Hoiberg sitting out there somewhere.

Funny, I've seen BJ Armstrong mentioned as their version of Hoiberg.
Not that I think it would work as successfully there, BJ has aspirations of coaching or Barta would take the risk, but as for a name and he is a player agent so is still in BBall adjacent and alum,

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I got a special place in my heart for Iowa misery threads but....

You all realize Iowa probably going either beat us in Hilton or the game will be a close final possession type game? It's an absolute certainty.
So?
We’ve lost several times in successful seasons to these Missouri Valley type teams that look to legitimize themselves against ISU. An upset in these games means little.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

You all realize Iowa probably going either beat us in Hilton or the game will be a close final possession type game? It's an absolute certainty.

Your point? They can beat us while and have a ******, year while we move on and have a good season.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not that I think it would work as successfully there, BJ has aspirations of coaching or Barta would take the risk, but as for a name and he is a player agent so is still in BBall adjacent and alum,

That's an interesting candidate. My in-laws are practically salivating at the thought of poaching Darian DeVries from Drake after this season. I don't know if money would be an issue or not. Wouldn't they owe Fran something like a little over six million to cut ties after this year?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Ogundele-46055495/

Peep the CB's

giphy.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Well, yeah, it's what their players live for.

• Winner
Reactions: irish

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Seems like Dean Oliver would be the more likely candidate since he is a D1 assistant coach at Wisconsin.

L

LincolnWay187

The last few years of close football losses to these turds makes their basketballs woes so much more enjoyable.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

For once this game is a no lose situation for us. If we win great, if we lose it will mean Fran keeps his job

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Reminds me of all the years pathetic Cubs fans blamed losing on playing day games.

CHA isn't any further from the center of campus than Hilton. It might be more central.
Even if CHA was located in the center of downtown Iowa City, there would be more people in the bars than at the MBB game.

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Of course we realize it. The CyHawk game is their NBA Finals.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Iowa b-ball fan is just living 10 years in the past. Unless BJ Armstrong has some new strategy akin to HOIBERG and transfer U that isn’t Transfer U then idk what he would do to come in and blow the doors off CBB. It’s not like he’s Penny or Juwan Howard either so that strategy isn’t going to work either.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Any program could get lucky in a transition, but Iowa could do worse than Fran. It’s a tough job.

Lickliter was a National COY that found Iowa so tough he went D3.

Alford only had three 20-win seasons in 8 years, but given it was at Iowa it was enough to get him a promotion and continue up the career ladder, ending up at a blue blood.
And now he has ended up in Nevada!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron