Bowl Game Projections

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
It would be fun to play Army, and I liked playing them at JTS a few years ago, but it would really suck to go play in TCU's stadium, a place we play in on a regular basis, for a bowl game.

Speaking of Army, they had 0 passing yards and still won yesterday.
We would have more fans in that stadium for our bowl game than TCU does for a home game.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
A return trip to Memphis would be great. Despite the game outcome, I thought the Liberty Bowl last time we were there was really cool.

Historically, it is a game that has been played for a long time, neat trophy, good tailgating, easy travel both distance from Iowa and accessibility of stadium/downtown, good parade, good BBQ.

Latest ESPN projection has us in Liberty Bowl against LSU. Gulp!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...week-7-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Wow, 2 B1G teams in the playoff, but no Big 12 teams.... ok?

Nevermind that as someone else said yesterday, the B1G is like 1-17 against ranked teams this year. Yeah, they're so good.
The only chance Wisconsin has of playing a ranked team until the conference title game is if Michigan or Iowa are ranked. Based on remaining schedules and the complete ineptitude of Michigan's offense without Speight I think they'll be unranked when UW plays them. How bad is the Big10 west? Neb is also alone in 2nd place.
Between travel history and knowing it's been a long bowl drought ISU is going to be attractive.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
You say "gulp" (and this is getting ahead of things until we pick up a 6th win), but the bigger 'brand' we end up playing in a bowl, the more of a motivation advantage ISU is going to have against a team that will view the game as a disappointment.

It's a nothing to lose and everything to gain kind of event if you play a team like LSU in a bowl game. I like it!

• Agree
Reactions: istater7

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Notre Dame vs. Iowa. Is there a way both teams can lose?
tumblr_o3gs2mzFdd1rnbafjo1_400.gif
The winner's wins from this season could eventually be retroactively vacated.
Probably not very satisfying though.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Big 12 Bowl Ties
2. Camping World Bowl vs. ACC
4. AutoZone Liberty Bowl vs. SEC
5. Cactus Bowl vs. Pac-12

These are the three I hope we have a shot at.
Would love go to FL. or Az.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I will make keep an eye out to keep you humble on your stance on literalism.

I'm not always that literal. Just when I see an Iowa State fan saying something like "nobody gives a flying ****" about some other college football team. It betrays a lack of objectivity when it comes to our place in the college football world. In case you haven't noticed, nobody gives a flying **** about us either. Or at least, only a few more people than care about UNT.

Edit: words

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I'm not always that literal. Just when I see an Iowa State fan saying something like "nobody gives a flying ****" about some other college football team. It betrays a sense of objectivity when it comes to our place in the college football world. In case you haven't noticed, nobody gives a flying **** about us either. Or at least, only a few more people than care about UNT.

I wanted to say us (ISU) as well, but that doesn't go over great on this site.

So, mildly amending my statement: in general terms, people who are not fans of Iowa State and North Texas do not care about Iowa State and North Texas and it's not an exciting proposition for the two to play UNLESS it's done in a playoff format.

I hope this meets your quality assurance guidelines.

• Useful
Reactions: CloneLawman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Exhibit A why there needs to be a playoff system. Nobody gives a flying **** about the Heart of Dallas bowl or North Texas.
By your standard utilized here, no one cares about all but a handful of games a year. Just have the top 14 programs by TV ratings round-robin and call it good, right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron