Lard looks good

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Athletic? Yes. Basketball? Not so much. Not a great basketball IQ. Hopefully the staff can fix that though.
That's my guess as well.

Again, it's going to take Kasongo being good and a great spring for Lard to not play next year. I think it's most likely Lard will play and that on his best days Kasongo will be Edozie.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
For SC - he may not play next year and he may not even be at ISU next year but he appears to be a GREAT team guy and always actively engaged on the bench. I think there are more ways to help the team outside of playing in games that should be recognized.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
For SC - he may not play next year and he may not even be at ISU next year but he appears to be a GREAT team guy and always actively engaged on the bench. I think there are more ways to help the team outside of playing in games that should be recognized.
Absolutely, but that role isn't scholarship worthy. And are we not forgetting his suspension?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Truly believe Kasango can be serviceable as a 3rd option at the 5. Remains to be seen if he would accept that roll.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Absolutely, but that role isn't scholarship worthy. And are we not forgetting his suspension?

Strike 1 for sure. And if he's not holding up his end of the bargain (in any aspect) I would agree a conversation should take place about the best place for his continued development.

cyclone2001

Feb 26, 2012
Just Make the dance next year, I don't care if it is the play in game. It is going to be a down year with all the seniors gone, but just crawl your way into the NCAA tournament.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Strike 1 for sure. And if he's not holding up his end of the bargain (in any aspect) I would agree a conversation should take place about the best place for his continued development.
Agree. His spot is locked this March regardless, and it's great he's doing what he can to make a positive impact in that time. Much better than pouting or creating a divide and distraction.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
The only thing I took from that is Lard has the size to play in the Big 12. He's a little bigger than I expected.

If you watched any of Young's high school highlights, you know he is fully capable of hitting a 3-pointer. He has good form and a high release. He doesn't have to look for it, but if he can shoot a respectable percentage, it could help everyone else. I think he has the potential to score 8-12 points/gm next season. He has some skills, we just have better options this season. Young is built to be a great 4, and if we get a true big to help him out down low, we could have a very nice player for the next three years.
Hogue like shooting would be great, just needs a toothpick.

Reactions: Tailg8er

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not to be "that guy" but it's warmups. I'm not anti-Lard, but it's warmups.

I thought that when DJ won the 3 pt shoot out at Hilton Magic preseason thing at the beginning of the season. and he is just stone cold during the game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A combination of my hopes/expectations for the current players on the roster for next year...

Link to my version of the scholarship chart at the bottom of the post, for reference, and assuming no turnover on current players nor anything about the three remaining open scholarships we have to give. We could use an outside shooter and proven post player, obviously.

Jackson... needs to be the alpha dog, something between Morris and Mitrou-Long in a much expanded role and minutes next year, pushing for some all-conference honors

Weiler-Babb... same thing, needs to be our best and most versatile defender and to work on his outside shot, given teams negating his athleticism by sagging off him right now, needs to take the flashes he has shown in limited minutes and add consistency over greatly expanded PT next year

Carter... not expecting much at this point, if he could not find time this year with our deplorable front line most of the season, I just doubt he is ever going to by this point

Kasongo... same deal, did not show much at previous stops, no whispers about him being competitive in practice (such as NWB was last year), so not betting on much

Long... not sure what to expect here, given he ranked highly out of high school, but looking like Naz as a bench role player as a sophomore (more defense, less shooting) would be nice to have

Young... time to turn the kid loose, considering his progress this year and that he will be our only returning starter, I would hope he continues to man up on interior defense and the boards and the offense orients towards giving him some post looks and even some Stretch-4 time, still hoping/planning that he turns into a diamond-in-the-rough who is one of the best posts in the conference before we know it and this being "his team" by the end

Wigginton... needs to make an immediate impact as at least a second point guard or, ideally, a Day 1 starter who can push for 30+ productive minutes per night by the end of the season, I really hope that we are saying that DJax and Wiggi were a ton of fun to watch together by the end of the year

McNeill... not sure what to expect here, too, imagining that Long and he will compete for the last guard spot in the rotation right now depending on who is more ready to go

Lewis... on many teams, might have more Wiggi expectations of him, but you need more guards than wings to play Hoiball/Prohmball offense, though I am hoping that he pushes NWB for playing time on the wing or even as a Stretch-4, come on and make Steve play you, Terrence

Lard... I am hoping for something like what happened to Solomon this year with early growing pains but PT forced upon him by our lack of other options in the post, followed by a maturation process into him being a productive "trash man" by the end of the season

Jackson
Wigginton
Weiler-Babb
Young
Lard
---
McNeill
Long
Lewis

Design a rotation where Young and Lard do not often share the floor with NWB and Lewis at the 4 and always having one of Jackson and Wigginton on the court.

Of course, this all could change depending on how JUCO and grad transfer season ends up, but would not shock me to see 1-2 sit-out transfers or banking a scholarship for a mid-year.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
No one seems to articulate why they have issues with Carter. I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as people think he is. He was very raw last year, but has seemed to grow in to his body this year and looks better. He still is fairly raw, but I think he can be a solid roll player in the future if he does stay around.

Kasongo I haven't seen much at all, but the little I have seen he seems like he is much closer to his full potential, but still right around where Carter is.

I know very little about big man post play, but the problem with Carter is as horrible as post play was at the beginning of the season, he still couldn't get on the floor. To me that says a lot.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Lard looks like the real deal. I know it is just practice, but it is pretty obvious he is the skilled, athletic post we were hoping he was. It is reassuring given the lack of HS video on him. It will be fun watching him and Young on the court the next few years.

As for Long, I'm not worried about his shot. He proved to be a capable shooter in high school. He has the physical size to get to the rim, so he doesn't have to only rely on his outside shot. I think being left handed also makes his form look worse. Jackson has proven to be a really good shooter, but I wouldn't say his form is picture perfect.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Go look at the HS scouting report on Lard...He's an around the rim type of player but is capable of stepping out and hitting a 10-15 foot jumper occasionally..He's an intense rebounder, finishes well around the rim and has endless energy running the court and blocking shots. Now forward 2 years as that was 2 years ago..he's going to be a true freshman. He's long and athletic and what separates his game from say McKay is he will have 4 years to develop at P5 and according to the scouting report is a tenacious rebounder for his build.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lard looks like the real deal. I know it is just practice, but it is pretty obvious he is the skilled, athletic post we were hoping he was. It is reassuring given the lack of HS video on him. It will be fun watching him and Young on the court the next few years.

As for Long, I'm not worried about his shot. He proved to be a capable shooter in high school. He has the physical size to get to the rim, so he doesn't have to only rely on his outside shot. I think being left handed also makes his form look worse. Jackson has proven to be a really good shooter, but I wouldn't say his form is picture perfect.
I hope so on Long! He has the size to be a very tough guard. I'm a little surprised he didn't get more garbage minutes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Go look at the HS scouting report on Lard...He's an around the rim type of player but is capable of stepping out and hitting a 10-15 foot jumper occasionally..He's an intense rebounder, finishes well around the rim and has endless energy running the court and blocking shots. Now forward 2 years as that was 2 years ago..he's going to be a true freshman. He's long and athletic and what separates his game from say McKay is he will have 4 years to develop at P5 and according to the scouting report is a tenacious rebounder for his build.
Great! ....isn't he going to be a redshirt freshman? Regards, it's going to be fun to watch him improve. Hopefully he has a great spring, summer, and fall!

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I know very little about big man post play, but the problem with Carter is as horrible as post play was at the beginning of the season, he still couldn't get on the floor. To me that says a lot.
Yeah I don't expect him to ever really see the floor since he couldn't get in at some pretty desperate points early in the year. I don't exactly expect him to even be here next year although he does really seem to enjoy being here.

Help Support Us

Become a patron