By Chris Williams, CycloneFanatic.com Publisher
The playoffs of the YMCA Capital City League took place last night and a couple of Cyclones had some big nights. Let’s begin with walk-on red-shirt freshman Bubu Palo.
– Palo went 12-for-17 from the field to score 24 points, record eight rebounds and six assists for Medical Oncology & Hematology. This is just another example of the improvement Palo has shown over the course of a year. When Diante Garrett is absent (which he was on Wednesday), Palo has proven time and time again that he is the best player on his team.
– It was good to see DeMarcus Phillips rebound from his terrible night of shooting on Sunday, where he went 1-of-15. Phillips went 8-for-19 last night to score 18 points. He also chipped in 12 rebounds, eight assists and three steals.
– Iowa State’s Melvin Ejim had a quiet night for his standards. The Cyclone freshman scored 15 points, while going 6-of-13 from the field. He still managed to rip down 12 rebounds for Tim Vorland Photography.
– Ejim’s teammate, Southern Illinois transfer Anthony Booker scored 21 points last night while recording 13 rebounds. That marks Booker’s second double-double in a row in YMCA Capital City League play.
– Freshman Jordan Railey had a solid night on Wednesday for Coca-Cola Bottling Co. The Oregon native scored 15 points while going 6-of-16 from the field. He also recorded three rebounds and four assists.
Here’s what Sunday’s YMCA Capital City League schedule looks like.
Semi-final action will begin at 4:40, as Tim Vorland Photography will take on Granite Transformations. Then at 5:45, MOHA will go head-to-head with Peak Performance. The two winners will then play at seven in the championship game.