By Chris Williams, CycloneFanatic.com Publisher
Iowa State (22-10) vs. Marist (30-2)
Saturday, March 19 * 10 a.m. @ Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, N.C.
ESPN 2, Cyclone Radio Network
Notes courtesy of Iowa State sports information. CLICK HERE to read them in their entirety.
– Saturday will mark Iowa State’s 12th NCAA Tournament. Bill Fennelly has been the head coach of all of those Cyclone teams. The Cyclones are 16-11 all-time in tournament play and have advanced to at least the second round in every one of their last four trips.
– Only 20 teams have made the NCAA Tournament in each of the last five seasons. Iowa State is one of them.
– This year’s Cyclone team went 4-7 against other teams who will be participating in the NCAA Tournament.
– Iowa State has never played Marist before. The Cyclones are 4-0 all-time vs. MAAC teams.
About the opponent
– Is Marist one of the best 10-seeds in NCAA Tournament history? They could be. The Red Foxes have won 26 games in a row and are winners of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
– Iowa State and Marist have played one common opponent this year. That is Nebraska, who Marist defeated 65-60 back in December.
– Erica Allenspach is Marist’s best player, as she avered 14.2 points per game this season. Allenspach is a 43.1 percent free throw shooter and she was recently named the MAAC’s Player of the Year.
– Marist is coached by Brian Glorgis, who has been there for nine seasons. Glorgis has a career record of 224-64.
– Defense will rule in Durhmam. That’s according to this FOX Sports preview of this weekend’s action.
– A local Michigan newspaper reports on Jessica Schroll’s status heading into Saturday.
– More conversation regarding defense, defense and more defense, this time out of Marshalltown.
– The Des Moines Register’s Dan Johnson previews the big game stating that this Marist team sees itself as an underdog in this looming competition.