The Iowa State men’s basketball team will host the University of Iowa on Friday night. The Cyclones are looking to bounce back from their recent three game losing streak against the Hawkeyes. Iowa State head coach Greg McDermott met with members of the media earlier today. Here are notes taken from the press conference.
– McDermott began the presser by stating that there was no way to spin the past week of Cyclone men’s basketball. “We have to play better,” McDermott said. “We have to play better in a lot of areas in the game.”
– McDermott pointed out that his team’s schedule is now very advantageous for growth as opposed to what the Cyclones have seen so far. Iowa State will host Iowa on Friday. Iowa State’s next game after that is on Sunday, Dec. 20 against Bradley. That leaves a handful of days where the team can work on getting better and not prepping for the next opponent.
– “We’ve got to use these four days to make some strides as a team,” McDermott said. “We’re not a real confident team right now. When you lose a few in a row, that will do that to you.”
– McDermott was very specific that he isn’t down on Craig Brackins at all right now. “Craig is really competing right now, probably at a level that has been more consistent at any point in time as a member of our team.”
– What will the team be working on this week? You guessed it…rebounding. “We’re giving up far too many second opportunities,” McDermott said.
McDermott is concerned about Iowa’s ability to knock down the 3-point shot. He pointed out that the Hawkeyes are a better shooting team than they have shown so far this season.
CycloneFanatic.com will have more hoops coverage for you all as the week rolls along.