ZTR mower recommendation needed

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Looking for recommendations on a new ZTR mower for a few acres. Prefer something a little more heavy duty than what most box stores carry, but not something built for daily commercial use.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I have this, but last years version. We mow 2-3 moderately hilly acres without much issue.

If you let the grass get too tall (6"), it will drain the batteries more quickly, and will take two charges to completely mow the property.

• Wow
Reactions: Macloney and bawbie

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Looking for recommendations on a new ZTR mower for a few acres. Prefer something a little more heavy duty than what most box stores carry, but not something built for daily commercial use.
You'll have to decide which you want because big box store = cheap crap for homeowners and dealer = better built stuff for commercial use.

Good news is if you go the dealer route and do routine maintenance you'll be set for a long time for your mower.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I have this, but last years version. We mow 2-3 moderately hilly acres without much issue.

If you let the grass get too tall (6"), it will drain the batteries more quickly, and will take two charges to completely mow the property.

Wow that's pretty slick, would be nice to get away from gas. My uncle was just telling me about how his ryobi electic chainsaw almost burned down his garage though...

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
My dad has an Exmark Lazer Z for his farm. It is a super nice mower. I believe Exmark is a more commercial line of Toro, but not sure. Either way, it is a really well built mower and does a great job.

Reactions: cyputz

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Just purchased a Toro Titan with Myride. 60 inch deck. Its sweet. Has one of the best tip speeds in the industry which is important if you want a great cut. So many golf courses use Toro. That's good enough for me. $5900.

• Wow
Reactions: cyputz

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Another vote for Toro with MyRide. You can get into a welded deck and the MyRide fairly reasonably and they are as well built as anything.

Reactions: FallOf81

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
We've got an exmark Lazer so solid mower. Also have a gravely which I like even better, fast and has an air suspension seat which is very comfortable.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Another vote for Toro with MyRide. You can get into a welded deck and the MyRide fairly reasonably and they are as well built as anything.
Agree. I probably over bought a bit but you've got to get above 4K for decent quality. And I've got hills. Need more power and stability. Watched too many videos on different brands to the point of going crazy. Also came down to local service for me. They will pick up for service. Lots of detail to consider. Toro has sealed bearings on deck, no greasing to remember. And super easy oil change system.

Reactions: jmax71

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I bought a used JD Z425 3 years ago and have been mowing 15 acres bi weekly. I've beat the hell out of it and it keeps on trucking. Of course to note: it's also beating the hell out of me. If you have undulating land, look for shock absorbers.
I, highly, recommend engineering your lawn to mitigate a lot of turns. Having done so to my property has saved countless hours.
Also, when you buy it, I recommend alternating mowing patterns. It reduces 'ruts' and increases lawn health.
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a trail mower to double my mowing capacity. Anyone with suggestions on those, please by all means do tell.
Oh, and mentioned directly above, 'service' is essential. You should have options (either your own trailer or the service center transporting) already figured out.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I bought a used JD Z425 3 years ago and have been mowing 15 acres bi weekly. I've beat the hell out of it and it keeps on trucking. Of course to note: it's also beating the hell out of me. If you have undulating land, look for shock absorbers.
I, highly, recommend engineering your lawn to mitigate a lot of turns. Having done so to my property has saved countless hours.
Also, when you buy it, I recommend alternating mowing patterns. It reduces 'ruts' and increases lawn health.
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a trail mower to double my mowing capacity. Anyone with suggestions on those, please by all means do tell.
Oh, and mentioned directly above, 'service' is essential. You should have options (either your own trailer or the service center transporting) already figured out.
Hard to beat Kunz trail mowers. Built like a tank. Have one and we’ll worth it.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have a King Kutter for 3pt that works well and is indestructible.

James Tucker

Sep 9, 2019
Just purchased a Toro Titan with Myride. 60 inch deck. Its sweet. Has one of the best tip speeds in the industry which is important if you want a great cut. So many golf courses use Toro. That's good enough for me. $5900.

I'll 2nd this choice. Owned JD and loved my various 400 models while mowing 4 acres. Bought the Toro Titan and it cut my mow time by half! Had around 40 trees in yard/pasture and the Zero Turn could do a 360 without any effort. Only drawback is you have to use both hands, so beer drinking reduced :)

Reactions: FallOf81