Zone Defense?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In all the hoopla, the past three games, I kinda lost track of when ISU was playing zone vs M2M? Still, I think I saw more zone the past few games. Something on defense sure worked. Anyone else see this?

We randomly threw it at teams out of timeouts a few times to ruin their set plays.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In all the hoopla, the past three games, I kinda lost track of when ISU was playing zone vs M2M? Still, I think I saw more zone the past few games. Something on defense sure worked. Anyone else see this?

Reminded me of the times that Tim Floyd would throw out crazy junk defenses that the announcers couldn't figure out. Box and 1, box and 2. Guy really new how to build a defense to stop one or two guys. Never understood why the NBA wanted his so badly, since most of the stuff he was doing isn't allowed in the NBA.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I also saw at least once, when 3 or 4 guys were in zone, and the others in man. That's part of the problem with just throwing it out there for a possession. Everyone has to be on the same page, and know when to get out of it.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Ohio st seems like a good team to play zone against but not sure how good their guards are at rebounding

• Agree
Reactions: jay moe

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Zone looked good when it was used, especially vs K State. I would like to see it some vs OSU due to their big guy and the lack of consistent shooting from 3.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I thought our zone looked better this weekend than it has in years. Seemed like everyone knew their role, and didn't get too far out of position.
Better rebounding position. Better defense against driving to the basket that has plagued us. As a minimum, breaks up the routine,

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Zone worked against KU because their only points were in the paint. Collapsing the zone forced them into jump shots and they weren't making anything.

The past few games were more of a match-up zone -- great concept. Doesn't allow the offense to overload one side and leave one guy unguarded. There were times when our wing defender would chase a guy across the baseline and defend on the other side. Communication is key and we seemed to do well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Better rebounding position. Better defense against driving to the basket that has plagued us. As a minimum, breaks up the routine,

Zones are many times worse for rebounding unless the team is disciplined because you don't have an assigned person to box out.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
I also saw at least once, when 3 or 4 guys were in zone, and the others in man. That's part of the problem with just throwing it out there for a possession. Everyone has to be on the same page, and know when to get out of it.

That's a type of defense... box and 1. One guy usually tails the team's best player while the others play zone.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Ohio st seems like a good team to play zone against but not sure how good their guards are at rebounding

They are underwhelming at OReb, something right around 200th. Slightly worse than us, I think.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I remember the announcers saying in one game we were playing a 1-3-1 zone. I have never heard of it, but nice to change it up. I know most teams play a 2-3 zone. I a 3-2 zone, but not sure how that works.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron