Zeb Noland misses out on starting job at NDSU

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
1. I don't mean to speak poorly of the dead, but Chris Love was never expected to be a contender for the starting role, so I don't consider him a Miss.
2. Who the H was Waye Terry?? Glad you remember him, because I don't.
3. Austin Flynn - should never have been recruited as a QB, but we needed someone to fill the gap.
4. Brett Meyer and Austin Arnaud are often confused one for the other in my mind. Both about the same really.
5. Phillip Bates and Jerome Tiller... aren't these two the same guy as well?
6. Barnett - only a miss because he was not trusted to run the offense enough. We had a lot of very impressive wins when he was at QB. In the end, I think lack of investment from the coaches turned into lack of enthusiasm within Barnett during his final year here. Glad he transferred, too bad he got hurt with the redbirds.
7. Richardson, I won't defend him, but will acknowledge that there was plenty of change at OC during his time.
8. Rohach - made a good decision to transfer even if transferring didn't work out as well as it should have. Another QB who would have been better if the coaches weren't looking at another player to lead the team.
9. Jantz - always knew there was too much hype with Jantz. Having said that.. there were a few incredible plays/wins with him. He and Richardson seemed to be the kings of turning the ball over.
10. Lanning - Competent, but couldn't always make the passing reads quickly.
11. Park - Competent in all but how to care for his own mental stability.
12. Noland - Did we recruit this guy? Or did he just show up one day expecting to play?
13. Moore - A+ for enthusiasm for the start of the Campbell era!! Best of luck to him at USD.
14. Kempt - I'm not sure where I heard his name back when he was in High School, but I know I was disappointed that ISU did not recruit or land him. When I saw his name mentioned as a walk on at ISU after several years elsewhere, I thought... "Wow, he really didn't pan out like I thought he would. But I'm glad to have him here." I was surprised as anyone else about how he worked out here.
15. Purdy - I liked the tapes of his HS play better than what I saw for Re-al in HS. But I'm no coach, and you never know what will happen (see Kempt).
16. Dean - some say TE. I don't think the story is written yet.
17. You forgot the kid who left when Rhoads left... damn, so did I.

Waye Terry can't be considered a miss. He got hurt and could not compete anymore. Jantz had no line and his coach sucked. Lanning was never a quarterback. He was a linebacker that could pass.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Noland - 1-3 as a starter (counting @iowa)
And what’s bigger to me is he quit the team after he was beat out by Purdy.

IMO Noland was just in a tough spot to succeed with his skill set here. He seems like pocket passer with a big arm, but what ISU needed (and still currently needs, unfortunately) is a QB who can extend the play when blocking breaks down.

When it becomes apparent that you're not the guy, and you REALLY want to be the guy, I will not begrudge a player to transfer somewhere they think they have a better shot as soon as they can.

The old attitude that players "owe" the schools something bugs me. They don't "owe" the school jack s***. Time is limited for athletes, so they gotta do what they gotta do. Yeah it sucks when a guy with talent leaves your favorite school, but tough luck. We're not the ones trying to make a career out of it.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Here's the deal with ISU QBs. Until very recently, Tiller was the only QB commit who held multiple offers from other P5 programs. As Tiller exemplifies, that isn't a guarantee of success but it sure increases the odds. Our best years occurred when we lucked into NFL caliber QBs, i.e. Seneca and Sage, who didn't have other options to play QB elsewhere. I hope CMC continues to sign QBs other programs want, because I believe that's necessary for consistent success.

• Agree
Reactions: CentexCyclone

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
We basically recruit the same type of guys and people expect different results. Arnaud couldnt hit an open man to save his life, go back and watch that Kstate game in kansas city.

We get a 3 star dual threat QB and expect them to develop into a star. It just never happens. They either A. get the crap kicked out of them and end up being too scared to play. or B. Never develop but play a few games due to injuries and they suck. I think Purdy has been the best of all the guys listed but we will see. I have no idea why Re-al mitchell hasnt been moved to a position where we can utilize his speed, keeping him at QB doesnt make sense to me, he is too short.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I would say we have had a million times better results in having former QBs moving to different positions. Lanning, Leonard Johnson, Montgomery, Deshaunte Jones

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
We basically recruit the same type of guys and people expect different results. Arnaud couldnt hit an open man to save his life, go back and watch that Kstate game in kansas city.

We get a 3 star dual threat QB and expect them to develop into a star. It just never happens. They either A. get the crap kicked out of them and end up being too scared to play. or B. Never develop but play a few games due to injuries and they suck. I think Purdy has been the best of all the guys listed but we will see. I have no idea why Re-al mitchell hasnt been moved to a position where we can utilize his speed, keeping him at QB doesnt make sense to me, he is too short.

And yet Arnaud set the school record for pass completion percentage in a career and a season while at Iowa State. He held it until Kyle Kempt broke the career mark and Purdy broke the season mark.

An odd thing about that. Kempt's career mark is .667 and Purdy's season mark is .664, which makes you wonder how you could have a .667 career mark without doing better than .664 in at least one season. Maybe Kempt is a special case cause he never played one full season.

Reactions: isutrevman

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
People forget that we were 3-0 when Jantz hurt his foot at UCONN. That kept him in the pocket and the turnovers skyrocketed until he got benched against A&M. Who knows what happens if he stays healthy.
Not to say that your assessment is wrong (because he did have an amazing game vs Iowa : 4 TDs vs 0 ints), but in that 3-0 start, he had 6 TDs and 6 INTs -- I think it was a preview of things to come (he ended the year with 10 TDs and 11 INTS). Interestingly enough, we were 3-0 the next year & he had 6 TDs to 4 INTS. He ended the year with 13 TDs vs 12 INTs (as a healthy player). Even in his amazing performance against Baylor (5TDs to 1 INT), his inability to hang on to the ball ended up being the killer in that game (like it was throughout his career)! In fact most, if not all, of our QBs during that era suffered from Fumble-itis.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People forget that we were 3-0 when Jantz hurt his foot at UCONN. That kept him in the pocket and the turnovers skyrocketed until he got benched against A&M. Who knows what happens if he stays healthy.

He also started the UConn game something like 0-3 with 3 INTs so it wasn't just a hurt foot thing.

Jantz was almost someone who just needed to not have anything told to him at all so he didn't have to think about it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Waye Terry can't be considered a miss. He got hurt and could not compete anymore. Jantz had no line and his coach sucked. Lanning was never a quarterback. He was a linebacker that could pass.

I think considering Waye Terry was a Juco and ended up behind Flynn and Love on the depth chart one could consider him a miss, but I’m pickin nits.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Simply playing doesn't make them a hit.

Sage - Hit
Seneca - Hit
Chris Love Jr (RIP) - Miss
Waye Terry - Miss
Austin Flynn - Miss
Bret Meyer - Hit
Austen Arnaud - 50/50. Didn't live up to hype out of HS
Phillip Bates - Miss
Jerome Tiller - Miss
Jared Barnett - Miss
Sam Richardson - Miss
Grant Rohach - Miss.
Steele Mother ******* Jantz - Miss
Joel Lanning - Miss
Park - Miss.
Noland - Miss
Moore - Miss
Kempt - Hit
Purdy - Hit
Dean - TBD
Re-al Mitchell - TBD

There was a Dom DeLira in there who actually got beat out for his High School QB spot before even making it to ISU lol

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
There was a Dom DeLira in there who actually got beat out for his High School QB spot before even making it to ISU lol
Didn't something happen in Mitchell's senior year of HS to where he wasn't starting anymore, too?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Does anyone have any clue what Steele is doing now? If I had to guess, I would say managing some bandana shop on the beach in the pacific northwest but i don't have sources to confirm that.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Drew Brees says “hi”.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron