MLB: Zambrano Update

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Rule #1: Never trust the Cubs' front office for news on injuries.

Could you give an example? They never lead people on about Prior and Wood; truth of the matter there was no one could really figure out what was wrong, and still to this day dont have much of a clue with Prior...but they were always pretty much up front with how long they would be out, etc.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Could you give an example? They never lead people on about Prior and Wood; truth of the matter there was no one could really figure out what was wrong, and still to this day dont have much of a clue with Prior...by they were always pretty much up front with how long they would be out, etc.

Are you serious??? You mean back in 2004 (or '05) when Prior "would be ready for Day 1 of the season, don't worry!!!" Ticket sales get a nice bump. And then Spring Training comes and "We're not sure when Mark will be ready to go."

Just because we're told that no one knows whats wrong with Prior doesn't mean no one knows what's wrong with Prior. I loved when the magical shoulder tear showed up out of nowhere. All these radiation experts must have been sleeping when they read all those MRI's.

Celeron

Nov 22, 2006
Ticket sales got a bump from a report on Prior? Give me a break. Tickets sales get a bump for the Cubs when the "Tickets on Sale Today" sign gets put up in the box office.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Could you give an example? They never lead people on about Prior and Wood; truth of the matter there was no one could really figure out what was wrong, and still to this day dont have much of a clue with Prior...but they were always pretty much up front with how long they would be out, etc.

Yes I can "Rothschield" look at his record with the Cubs and injuries. Over 75% of the pitchers, Highest in the Major league since he became the pitching coach has been on the DL or injured so that they miss a start or two.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yes I can "Rothschield" look at his record with the Cubs and injuries. Over 75% of the pitchers, Highest in the Major league since he became the pitching coach has been on the DL or injured so that they miss a start or two.

So how does that make the point that you should never trust the Cubs front office on injury news?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Unfortunately for the Cubs, most of the 'Rotator Cuff Tendinitis' cases this year have actually been an early diagnosis for Minor Rotator Cuff Tear.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If he gets bad news from one doctor (or three), just go find another one that will tell you "it's fine". It works well....just ask Shawn Merriman.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Aardsma Injured,
Alfonseca Injured
Almonete Injured
Ascanio Injured
Eyre Injured
Zambrano Injured
Wood Injured
Prior Injured
Marmol Injured
Cotts Injured
Fox Injured
Guzman Injured
Howery Injured
Marshall Injured
Wuertz Injured
Dempster Injured
Lieber Injured
Hart Injured
Marquis Injured

You can go through the list and see the injuries and most of them are shoulders.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I love Big Z, I really do. I just wish his brain worked a 10th as well as his arm.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

This guy had a little something to do with it too:

dusty_baker5.jpg

I'm waiting to see the Reds fans cry foul when Volquez and Cueto's arms fall off in a year or 2.

This might be my favorite anti-dusty pic:
Stubbornness.jpg

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Aardsma Injured,
Alfonseca Injured
Almonete Injured
Ascanio Injured
Eyre Injured
Zambrano Injured
Wood Injured
Prior Injured
Marmol Injured
Cotts Injured
Fox Injured
Guzman Injured
Howery Injured
Marshall Injured
Wuertz Injured
Dempster Injured
Lieber Injured
Hart Injured
Marquis Injured

You can go through the list and see the injuries and most of them are shoulders.

To be fair some of these guys were already damaged goods before the Cubs had them. Dempster, Fox, Lieber especially all had surguries with other teams before the Cubs had them. Elbows are more common than shoulders with a few of those guys too. Wood's 1st injury was having Tommy John, Guzman just got back from that as well. I don't know the extent to some of these others but Marquis hasn't been on the DL as a Cub yet has he? Marmol, Wuertz, and Howry have not had long stints of injuries either that I can recall and some of those guys were already injury prone or hurt while in the minors like Hart.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If he gets bad news from one doctor (or three), just go find another one that will tell you "it's fine". It works well....just ask Shawn Merriman.

Actually, 4 out of 4 docs told Shawn the knee needed surgery. He just finally stopped asking for opinions and did want he wanted to do in the first place.

Help Support Us

Become a patron